Sunday, January 17, 2016

One Day at a Time...

So, yesterday started relatively well.  Lazy morning, Craig left for work, uneventful lunch, Carter went down for nap easily, and I even got Jacob to do some homework without major complaints.  We watched movies and listened to the Knighthawks game, and all was well.  Well, aside from me feeling like I spent the whole day escorting people to the bathroom.  Carter has regressed in the potty training department (he did it before the surgery, so I can't blame it on that change in routine), but I still had to walk him to the bathroom a few times during the day.  Getting Jacob to the bathroom is a debacle since we don't have one on our main floor.  The good news is that he's getting some valuable practice on getting around and using the steps, but the bad news is that his balance is terrible and he nearly wiped out half a dozen times.  I don't know what happens, but suddenly he just stops and loses his crutches.  He's doing a heck of a job keeping his foot off the ground, thankfully, but I'm worried we're going to end up with a broken wrist before all of this is over.  But it's such a process getting him there and having him figure out how to pee while standing on one leg, then wash his hands and get back downstairs.  We may need to get him set up in the basement more often, as there is everything he needs down there, but he would prefer to be part of the action upstairs.  We'll get there.

I made dinner, something both kids usually like, and Jacob refused to eat.  He said his stomach hurt.  He went back to the couch with the puke bucket, and a little while later he said he wanted his food.  He ate about half of it and decided he was done.  At bedtime he complained about his stomach again, and we sat in the bathroom for about 45 minutes before he said he was OK to go back to bed.  I offered to do the stomach bug setup in his room--comforter on the floor--but he said he'd be fine. 

Craig got home late from the Knighthawks game, and I'm not sure I even heard him.  But at 3am Jacob called me down to his room.  He had thrown up on the edge of his sheet and in a line on the carpet along the side of his bed.  UGH.  Luckily it was pretty minimal compared to what it could have been--small amount, no stuffed animals, nothing on him--so I sent him down to the bathroom (on crutches, of course) and let him sit by the toilet for a bit.  Eventually I woke Craig up so he could get Jacob set up for a night in the bathroom, and I cleaned up the mess.  That meant cleaning up the mess on the floor, pulling a hundred animals off his bed, changing the sheets, throwing the animals back on the bed, and then hauling my carpet cleaner up from the basement to do a few passes over the affected area.  It wasn't bad, but I didn't want it to dry with a stain or to smell.  So I cleaned the carpet at about 3:30am, started a load of laundry, and finished it off with some Febreze.  Oh, and had a minor heart attack when I saw in a car in our driveway when bringing the cleaner back downstairs.  Turns out it was our newspaper arriving at 3:45am!

He had one more incident around 5am, all in the toilet, thank goodness.  He woke up a little iffy, but has slowly improved during the day.  He had a piece of toast and just finished some dry cereal, along with sips of water throughout.  I called the on-call doctor at the hospital to get their take on it.  He gave me the green light to stop giving him the hardcore pain meds and just switch to ibuprofen.  He hasn't been complaining about pain at all, so I really don't think it's necessary.  We've had plenty of times where I wasn't on him immediately after four hours, so I'll take that as a good sign.  So if he starts complaining again, we're going to go that route.

I started thinking about the medication after the fact, and I realized that he started it Thursday night with a new anti-nausea medication.  He woke up hungry on Friday and had a good breakfast of toast, eggs, and fruit early on.  He did well with lunch, too, and had a reasonable dinner.  But yesterday he had a very small breakfast before his first dose, and he said the nausea started before lunch.  His lunch was decent, but he got another dose of medicine right around dinner because I couldn't wait any longer if I wanted to be able to give him one more before bed.  My guess is that that pre-dinner dose was on a too-empty stomach and it started to irritate it, and the delayed small dinner and additional dose at bedtime put him over the edge. 

He actually just complained to me that his foot is hurting.  It's hard to know where the incision is or why that particular area might be bothering him, but since he just had a snack I gave him some ibuprofen and we'll see how it goes.  The good news is that if we can keep him off the harder meds, he could possibly go back to school earlier than anticipated, assuming we can work out his mobility issues.  Getting off those meds could help his balance, but we'll probably still rent a wheelchair because there are inevitably going to be places we need to go where crutches will be hard, and getting around school may be much easier with one.  We need to do some calling on that tomorrow, but the prescription is waiting to be used so we might as well.  It's going to snow tomorrow, so getting around with that might be impossible without a chair. least for the moment he's feeling better.  This really is just about taking it one day at a time, and hopefully we'll hit the two week follow-up and four-week end of the cast (we hope) before we know it.  I think it will all get easier, and I can already see him getting stronger and more comfortable, little by little.  He's been a trooper (a cranky one at times, but still...), and I think if we can get him into the mindset of a rehabilitating pro athlete, that might make things easier.  But day by day, it should get better.

No comments: