Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Getting There...

We've gotten into some form of a new normal over the course of this week, though that will be changed up a bit tomorrow when Jacob goes back to school.  He's getting around a bit better, we've been able to spend some time with him and keep him going on his school work, and his pain is minimal.  But school could be a whole other ballgame tomorrow.

Jacob's stomach issues hung around right through Monday, and finally yesterday he seemed to be back to normal.  We didn't have any other puking episodes after the one before dawn on Sunday morning, but he still wasn't feeling well and his issues moved south by Monday, which was a bit challenging considering he can't really run to the bathroom right now when nature calls urgently.  But yesterday he woke up doing better, and ate relatively normally for the rest of the day.  He slept in the bathroom again last night, so his stomach must have been bugging him a bit at bedtime, but he woke up and asked for cereal instead of toast for breakfast for the first time since he's been home, so I'll take that as a good sign.  He felt a little iffy again tonight, so I can't help but wonder if he's psyching himself out.

His leg doesn't really seem to be causing him much pain, and we've been off the hardcore meds since Saturday night.  I usually give him a dose or two of ibuprofen over the course of the day, however, as he has mentioned discomfort around his ankle.  I have no idea why that's happening, but given the trauma he's been through, and how wrapped up he is, it could be almost anything.  Maybe it's the immobilization, maybe it's how something is wrapped, maybe he's just having a hard time pinpointing what is actually bothering him.  He insists there's metal in there, which could be the case since there is a splint, but I have no idea.  Maybe his knowledge of the plate is just playing tricks on him.  His followup is in about a week, so hopefully at that point we'll get a little peek at what's going on in there.  And then it will be promptly hidden away for another few weeks under his permanent cast.

He's getting around better, but it's still a pretty unstable situation.  He's just not as coordinated or balanced as I'd like to see him at this point.  He's getting better with straightaways, but once in a while if he gets distracted he has an utter fail where the crutches go flying and he's on the floor.  Nothing has ended seriously, but aside from us shadowing him everywhere, it's really just dependent on him focusing.  The second he loses focus, his rhythm is gone and he can stumble.  That is why he will have a wheelchair at school.  There's no sense risking things on slippery tile floors.  I truly have no idea how that will go, but the nurse and his teacher seemed unphased, so I guess it will be fine.

Craig stayed with Jacob on Monday, I stayed with him yesterday, and my parents came in today.  The highlight of yesterday for me was firing up my old desktop and playing Rollercoaster Tycoon with Jacob.  We'd talked about it when he started playing Minecraft, and I wanted to show him the real game, which is a far cry from the free app on my iPod.  We had fun poking around some of my old parks and building a new one together.  He asked to play it again tonight, but that will probably have to wait for the weekend.  My parents opted to keep Carter home today, too, which was pretty daring on their part.  Carter had some moments--I have no idea what has gotten into him, but man, he has gotten to be a major button pusher--but he shaped up as the day went on. 

Tonight when I brought in the mail, there was a thick envelope from school.  Inside was a stack of get well cards from his classmates!  He was very excited and entertained reading them!  It was interesting to see their second grade perspective of surgery and of their relationships with him.  The drawings of a sick person getting surgery were cute, and it's clear they think he's a great Lego builder!  They all seem to miss him, though!  In addition to the gift bag from my co-workers (who gushed over the cuteness of his brief thank you note), he got some books from my aunt and some coloring books from my cousin's daughter.  My mom printed up a full binder of coloring pages for him.  It's so sweet of everyone to think of him. 

Slowly but surely he's getting better at getting around the house, and I think getting back to school will be good for him.  It will be a challenge after a week of laying around and looking at various screens, but I think it will be nice to get back to normal.  He may not want to admit it, but I think he's looking forward to it.  And next week when he gets a signable cast, he will like that even more!  We still have a long process ahead, but every bit of normalcy we get back is a small victory.  Soon all those small ones will have a big payoff, and we're definitely looking forward to that.

No comments: