Tuesday, January 5, 2016

And the verdict is...

This morning we had Jacob's appointment with the specialist, and it looks like he will be having surgery later next week to repair the non-ossifying fibroma in his leg bone.  They will scrape it out and do a bone graft procedure to fill it in and stabilize it.  He may or may not end up with a plate, as well, and if he does, he may or may not need to have it removed.  It'll all depend on what they see when they get in there.

The good news is that we have a wonderful, brand-new children's hospital that he'll be at.  He'll have to stay overnight for observation, but each room is a private room and has a spot for a parent to sleep, so that will be nice.  He'll be out of school for about a week, or at least until he can come off his pain medication.  After that he'll have a 4-6 week period of no sports, which means he might be able to sneak into the end of the second half of the indoor lacrosse season.  And he should be ready to go for the spring outdoor season.

All things considered, I think this is a best-case scenario.  It's winter, and he'd be crazier if he was missing out on playtime outside.  It stinks he has to miss part of his season, but we're still very lucky that he did not end up with a broken leg from this.  The x-ray was pretty shocking, to be honest.  The lesion takes up more than half of the width of his bone, which is why he's getting surgery as opposed to any other treatment.  I feel blessed that this is a benign, very fixable problem.  It's not cancer, it didn't impact his growth, and once this recovery is over, he should be back to being a normal kid.  Like I said, we have a great hospital, and while it's always a little scary, we know Jacob has been through anesthesia just fine before, so that helps.

The one downside is that if it ends up getting scheduled when the doctor said it would, Craig is scheduled to be out of town that night.  The Knighthawks have a rare weeknight game in Toronto that day, so as of now the plan is for him to stick around as long as he can, have my parents take Carter for a couple days, and for me to spend the night with Jacob at the hospital.  We still have to think through and coordinate work schedules for when he's off from school.  It's definitely a lot to process and plan with only a week's notice, but we'll get there.

So far Jacob seems to be doing well.  After the doctors talked up the hospital to him, I drove him past there on our way back to school.  I pointed out the floor he'll be on and the cool two-story playdeck where he might be able to go hang out.  I figured that seeing it now might at least get him interested or a little excited about it.  He seemed a little excited after that, so I guess that's good.  I think it'll definitely be a challenge keeping all of our nerves at bay for the next week, even though we know it's routine and fixable.  For me it's just the process of it all...making sure all of our bases are covered, ensuring that Carter is taken care of, that we will always have someone on Jacob duty and still properly manage our work, making sure that he will be able to have a proper gluten-free diet in the hospital, preparing in case we have a very early morning that day, etc.  As a mom I think it's just natural to be all caught up in planning...and if it takes my mind off the reality of the situation (i.e., that my baby is about to be cut open), so be it. I'll have time for worrying about that when we get closer to the actual surgery.

Still, I can't help but sit here and wonder why he's gotten such a raw deal.  Again, it's not cancer, he'll be fine, and this will be yet another blip on the radar, but why has he had to endure so many random medical issues?  A week in the hospital at birth, bronchiolitis when he was a baby that led to a nine-month cough, reflux (and its assorted medicines), a mole removal, behavior issues, Celiac disease, and now this.  It just seems like a lot for a little kid.  I can't help but wonder if it was the Clomid that I took right around when I got pregnant.  The test was negative when they gave it to me, but I'm pretty sure I was either just pregnant or it happened immediately after I started taking it.  It can cause miscarriage, so it makes me wonder.  Then we sometimes talk about Craig's dad's exposure to Agent Orange during the Vietnam War, and whether or not something might have been passed down, as apparently that's possible.  Or maybe it's just plain bad luck.  You never know how genes are going to arrange themselves, I suppose.  And they could have certainly done worse.  But it's hard to see your kid constantly have something to battle.

Am I scared?  A little.  As much as everything is routine, there's always that risk that something could go wrong.  From an infection to the possibility that they could find something they're not expecting, there is always a concern.  But for now I'm comfortable that everything will be fine.  He's a tough kid and he's eager to get things fixed up.  We're eager too.  Keep us in your prayers...

No comments: