Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday Tidbits

I finally got the video to post from Sunday's baseball playing...enjoy :)

video

I mentioned that Jacob went in the bounce house on Saturday, and that was a bit of an accomplishment.  Somehow Jacob has become a bit of a nervous child when it comes to things most kids think are fun.  He holds on for dear life on tiny slides at the playground, and won't go near the big ones.  At his little friend's birthday party it was like pulling teeth to get him into the climbing structure, and getting him down the big tube slide was a challenge.  Last week we had to pay $9 (!) for a field trip to a place called Jump Club, which is basically the same sort of thing--climbing structures, bounce houses, etc.  According to his teacher, he didn't do any of the stuff his friends were doing.  He was completely content to run around with a ball and ride in the cars (though not sure if that's a Little Tikes car or the ones you pay a quarter to turn on).  I guess as long as he's happy, that's great, but I'm losing hope that Jacob is going to be the roller coaster buddy I've longed to have since I married Craig, who is not a fan of things that drop or spin.  I also don't want him to have irrational fears about things that are fun and generally safe.  I'm still not sure where the slide fears came from, because he used to like them.  So, when I saw the bounce house on Saturday, I encouraged him to go in.  I went in with him, showed him how to bounce, and for a few minutes at least, he enjoyed it.  He went back in briefly with his cousins, too.  Small steps.

Jacob and Craig have been making up for lost time when it comes to playing outside.  Since Craig got home, Jaco's been begging to go outside all the time.  Fortunately the weather has cooperated. It works out well for me, too, because I have a ton of stuff to do most of the time and the time alone lets me do it.  Most of the time it's cooking dinner, nothing fun or exciting.  Jacob is loving it, though. 

Craig is readjusting to life at home and playing catch-up.  He's been keeping up with the lawn and working on getting the pool open.  There's a little uncertainty regarding his job since it's looking promising that the Buffalo Sabres will be buying the Amerks sometime soon.  The Knighthawks would not be part of the deal since the Sabres already own the Bandits, so it's pretty much a question of whether he'd stick with the Sabres or end up continuing to work with the teams' current owner for the Knighthawks and the Nationals, the summer outdoor lacrosse team he's currently doing some work for.  Hopefully nothing life-altering either way (unless it's a big raise somewhere along the way--ha!), but it definitely adds a little intrigue to our summer.  As a fan it's a cool thing, because the fan base and general excitement level has been decimated since the Sabres and Amerks parted ways a few years back. 

I am going a little nuts these days.  I feel like I've been playing catch-up since Craig got back.  I have a million things on my mind, from planning Jacob's birthday party to a couple returns I have to do to crazy stuff at work and other things that need to be done around the house.  In addition, I haven't been able to rely on my normal de-stresser, running, because my knees have been bothering me since the workout after the Corporate Challenge.  I have no idea what happened, because I never felt any sort of pain...but ever since, one knee has clicked when I go up stairs, and the other has just felt unstable and like it's swelling up, but I don't think it is.  It's so odd.  I've tried to keep up a little running, but I can't do it for long and I probably just need to rest it, but I feel like I can't get a good workout in without bugging it.  If it keeps up, I'll probably have to rest it at some point.  Then this morning I went to the allergist to get tested and hopefully try another route to getting my smell and taste back.  I'm doubtful, but we'll see.  It was pretty painful--lots of needle sticks and itchiness--and I am indeed allergic to a lot of stuff.  The doctor recommended allergy shots, but I'm going to try Allegra and a nose spray first.  If I do some research and think that the shots will be worth it (they're not cheap, but it would be awesome if they could take the edge off when I'm pregnant), I'll give them a shot.  No quick fix, that's for sure.  While I was getting tested I cringed at the thought of having to do that with Jacob down the road.  It'll probably happen someday.  Boo.

I know there was more I wanted to talk about, but apparently I waited one day too long and it was all pushed out of my brain.  Darn.  I guess I'll just save it for another day... 

No comments: