Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekend Review

It was another busy weekend for us as we were off to Buffalo for our nephew Luke's birthday party.  I'll admit that I find myself getting frustrated this time of year because as much as we love all the family/friend time (lots of birthday parties, graduations, and other picnics we attend) this time of year, it's hard to be away from home so much.  It's a busy time of year for yardwork (everything grows like crazy) and early summer activities (like opening our pool or shopping for porch furniture, among other things), so being away for a whole weekend--the only two days of the week where I can spend more than an hour or so at a time doing an out-of-the-house activity--inevitably sets things back.  That said, we wouldn't be anywhere else when it comes to family...hence why our late summers tend to be dominated too, this time by family reunions.  It's just unfortunate that all of the family time comes with a minimum three hours of travel roundtrip, lots of gas and toll costs, and a solid block of time away from a home that needs a lot of attention.  Needless to say, I'm excited that next weekend we're not going anywhere.

Anyway, Saturday I braved the sporadic and unexpected rain to go outside and do my weekly trimming/edging and do some trimming of the bushes near our porch.  It all needed to be done, and while it was a bit wet, it was my only chance.  I came back in and finished packing, and we headed out after lunch, in time for Jacob's nap.  Shortly after arrival in Buffalo, we headed off to our nephew's 5th birthday party.  I still remember visiting him in the hospital, and now he's off to kindergarten.  As usual, Jacob wandered around the house and kept finding new props to cart around and use as sports equipment.  At one point I found him up in the playroom like this: 
He's wearing a Power Rangers mask and riding a Smart Cycle (one of those video game bikes).  Such a goofball.  He did get in some time in the bounce house (more on that significance in another post) and spent a lot of time wandering around outside, sneaking fruit and Chex Mix from the table, and playing lacrosse.  He definitely marches to the beat of his own drummer, though he's getting better at hanging out with other kids around his age (or a little older).  It's unfortunate, I guess, that the other kids don't quite get his hyper-fandom when it comes to sports.

Later in the evening there was a baseball pinata, and Jacob put in a few respectable hits, once he figured out how it all worked...
His big cousin Walt dealt the crushing blow, and Jacob enjoyed picking up a bunch of candy and sampling some, too.  He really didn't want to leave the party, but everyone was tired and he went down quickly once he was in bed.  Ahhhh.

Sunday we went for some pancakes (served to us by the local Boy Scouts), and as usual Jacob ate a bunch.  He fell asleep sitting up on the couch next to Craig watching tennis (I guess that's one sport that doesn't captivate him, though he's been asking a lot of questions about it since.  Maybe the back-and-forth hypnotized him!), which he almost never does, and I took him upstairs to nap.  We ended up napping together for a bit, which is rare these days, and woke up in time to head out to the pool.  As usual, it was an absolute battle to get him ready for the pool.  He just wanted to play baseball, no matter how many times I explained that he needed to go into the pool for a bit since everyone would be in there and no one could play baseball with him. 

In the end, he had a blast in the pool.  As usual it was much more relaxing than our pool since it's super warm, but he liked riding on a shark and a dog and throwing balls.  He would hardly let go of me and only slightly grasped the concept of kicking and paddling.  He still won't keep his face up.  Ugh.  We probably need to do swimming lessons, but I have no idea how we're going to pull that off.  Anyway, he still had a great time, though since I was in the pool the whole time myself, I didn't get any pictures. 

The rest of the family came over and took over the pool as we finished up, and after dinner, a little baseball practice broke out.  Everyone took their turn with the tee, and Jacob held his own...
I'll have a video soon, but for some reason I can't upload it right now.  I think this picture is featuring a look he'll have on his baseball card someday.   

We left shortly thereafter, but unfortunately a movie was not enough to keep Jacob awake for the ride home.  So he napped from about 8pm-9pm (ugh) and didn't fall asleep until around 11.  Yikes.  We really have to rethink our trips home since this is the second time this has happened.  Today was generally okay all things considered, but he did delve into whiny-dom by the end of the evening.  Yuck.

Still, we had a good time this weekend and hopefully we'll have a blast at home four days from now...but still a long week ahead...

No comments: