Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Photo Wednesday, a.k.a. Weekend Wrapup

So I'm a little late on my usual weekend update, but it's been an odd week. I was off work on Monday because I was feeling very under the weather on Sunday night. We had two parties to attend on Sunday, which meant two parties' worth of yummy food, and I think the sheer volume and general combination of it all was not a good thing. I was feeling very full and just blah by bedtime (after a LONG day and a late drive home), at which point my body decided to get rid of a lot of it in a hurry. I was feeling gross enough that I actually sped up the process a little more. Maybe I didn't have a choice in that matter--hard to tell--but I certainly didn't do anything to prevent it. While all of this was going on, Jacob was wide awake and determined to sleep in our bed. While I was bedridden and taking frequent trips to the bathroom, Craig was hobbling down the hallway to calm Jacob. Eventually Jacob did end up in our bed, but he was awake and restless until 2am (nothing like a kick to the stomach when you're already feeling gross) and eventually he did have to go back to his crib so all of us could sleep. I stayed home in the morning, both because I was tired and also because I wanted to regain my strength and make sure that the digestive evacuation wasn't something more. I felt fine stomach-wise, just tired, and kept myself busy most of the day running errands. Yesterday I worked a half day before our office closed for our annual picnic, which I blogged about last night. So, it's been a weird week.

Just a few pictures to share from the last week or so. We went to Craig's softball game last Tuesday. We went to watch, of course, since Craig can't play and misses the camaraderie. Jacob is always up for a baseball game, too, and it was a nice night and the game was at a good time. Jacob didn't watch much of the game but he and Craig did play ball a bit. I played, too, when Craig's leg got tired. Here's Jacob doing his thing, before he ran the bases and ended up quite dusty...

On Friday we braved the rain and went to the Red Wings game because there was a celebrity softball game pregame to support a former Amerk, our friend and former co-worker, Craig Charron, in his battle against stomach cancer. Craig would have played in the game if not for his injury, so that was a bit of a bummer, but we had a good time. This is the second event we've gone to for the cause (the first being a celebrity bartending event a month ago), and it's been cool to see real NHL players (Rochester natives Brian Gionta and Ryan Callahan, along with Rochester resident and former Amerk Scott Nichol) taking part in these events. Anyway, we ended up not staying too long because we had to pack for the weekend and it was ridiculously, disgustingly humid that night. But we did stay long enough to venture up to the suite where some of the celebrity softball players were hanging out--mostly media and 80s-era Amerks. I captured a couple cute shots of Jacob while we were in the seats outside the suite.

How's this for intensity? This is his game face when we go to sporting events...


Showing me his glove...

Big smiles!

I was so exhausted by the end of the evening--between the heat and whatever else--that I decided we should leave that night, no matter how late it was. It just seemed easier to pack everything at once and get on the road, rather than packing anything we wouldn't need for the morning, then having to pack the rest the next morning in the middle of our usual morning routine AND packing the big stuff. Friday night just seemed easier. Of course, after a rough night of sleep once we got to NT, I'm not sure it was, but at the time it just seemed necessary. Oh, well. Saturday Jacob spent a good chunk of the day with Craig and my dad so my mom and I could go, uninterrupted, to the Canal Fest Craft Show, an annual summer highlight. We had a nice long walk, ran into plenty of people we knew, and had a good time. After dinner, we headed out to Hamburg. Jacob and I were going to my family reunion the next day, which is just about 20 minutes from Craig's parents' house, and later Sunday was our nephew's birthday party.

Sunday started out rainy, but it cleared up in time for the reunion festivities. It's held every year at Camp Pioneer, a Lutheran camp on the shores of Lake Erie. I have many fond memories of playing on the beach there every year, getting countless sunburns (yeah, I know, but it was my best shot at color each year), and walking the beach picking up beach glass (you know, broken glass fragments smoothed by sand and water). I even went there for a week of camp when I was 13, and to a few weekend retreats in college. Mostly good memories, and I'm trying to make it a point to bring Jacob there each year so he gets to have the same fun I did. We went last year, but the weather didn't cooperate. This year I was so relieved when the rain stopped and it turned into a beautiful day. The beach even dried out nicely. While we waited for lunch, Jacob kept all hands on deck with his own mini-baseball game. Here he is pitching to my dad. He was cracking everyone up with his pitching style. I have video of it but I think I forgot to download it this time. Someday soon...


We headed down to the beach after lunch and ended up having a good time. It's a horribly rocky beach--in fact, I have some random memory of getting a stone embedded in my foot there, possibly on a field trip in, like, kindergarten--and even though I forgot Jacob's beach shoes, we had fun playing in the sand and surf. Here's Jacob throwing a rock (surprise)...

...And preparing to throw a rock...
Jacob and I actually sat right on the shore with the waves lapping up around us for a long time. He threw rocks, put them in a bucket, and giggled when the big waves rolled in. It took me back to my childhood a bit, and I loved that I could share that with him. We had a good time. Of course, like any parent, I was more than relieved to pack up our stuff, survive the changing and cleanup to get out of our bathing suits and back into dry clothes, and head out. Of course, instead of an hour drive home like when I was a kid (and I was riding back then!), we had a short drive, a birthday party, and then an hour and a half drive home. Ugh. And little did I know, but I had a long night of illness and sleeplessness to contend with too!

As usual, Jacob was all over the place at the birthday party, but he seemed to play independently or with the other kids a little better than before. He could have gone on the big inflatable slip-n-slide outside, too, but quite frankly, he was content and it didn't seem worth it to go through the hassle of doing the bathing suit thing again. Once in a day is enough :) The party was nice, but it was good to get on the road and head for home. I was beat. The ride was a little torturous--I was tired and it felt long--but thankfully (?) I had my sick day to recover a bit from it all.

It was a fun weekend, and just another blip in a very busy stretch of weekends for us. This weekend we have a reunion in NT on Saturday and a charity hockey game on Sunday. We're still trying to plan the following weekend, and finalizing plans for the weekends after that, but we know they're going to be busy. We have to work on vacation time in there, too. More on that to come...

No comments: