Sunday, August 30, 2009

Monday Updates

I suppose there isn't a lot to report, though I haven't really posted a real update other than my random musings in a while. Last Monday and Tuesday Jacob's daycare was closed for their annual cleaning and planning days. Craig took off on Monday and spent the day giving Jacob wagon rides and going to the zoo. On Tuesday Jacob and I spent the day in Geneseo with my college roommate Mary. We hadn't hung out in a while and our schedules finally matched up. We had a really good time wandering the campus reminiscing and realizing how long we've actually been gone. While some things stay relatively the same, some things have changed a lot. Our dining hall has all new furniture and a new setup, the library cafe that was built when we were there is being renovated, there are two new dorms and a bunch of townhouses, and most of the stuff in the union has changed. But still, Geneseo is such a wonderful place. I miss it to this day, for many reasons. Jacob enjoyed the stroller ride and took a nice nap while we walked, and then he played on the grass in the upper quad for a while. It was really a great day! And here's a funny picture from that morning, while we were waiting for Mary to arrive...Jacob decided to get up close and personal with his stash of stuffed animals!

After that day off the week flew by, and before we knew it, it was the weekend. We didn't do anything particularly exciting this weekend...just a nice weekend at home. I did get to go to the mall for the first time in ages, and also got to take a three-hour nap in the afternoon on Saturday (as did Jacob). Last night Lori came over to watch Jacob for a little while so Craig and I could go out for my birthday dinner, and we came home bearing a little ice cream cake and mini-cupcakes from Wegmans (I couldn't decide!) and the four of us had a little treat!

We also managed to finally get Jacob's swing (a birthday gift) up in the tree in our yard. After much debate on the best way to hang it, I think we have it all figured out. And Jacob loves it! It's nice to have another outdoor activity for him other than his wagon. He's addicted to the outdoors and he loves wagon rides but lately they've been putting him to sleep after half a block! The swing might eventually have the same effect, but for now he's still enjoying it. I guess we'll just blame that great outdoor air!



But yeah, today is actually my birthday. The big 3-1. Definitely less exciting than last year, when Jacob got baptized on my 30th birthday. That was one big milestone day for both of us! Not to mention that Jacob had just started sleeping through the night at that point, so life was good! A year later he's turning into more of a little boy each day. He's still stubborn about standing (let alone walking) and gives his poor mother fits at mealtime, but he's such an amazing little boy. The smiles, laughs, hugs and "kisses" soften the blow of the more frustrating moments. Sometimes I wonder what my rush is, hoping he'll walk and talk soon. My little baby has grown up so quickly that I really shouldn't be wishing time away, but it's so exciting when Jacob figures out something new. I really look forward to him talking more because it's so neat to be able to communicate with him. Every once in a while we'll have a cool little moment when he can use signs or some other means and we know exactly what he's getting at, and it's awesome. And I just can't wait to have more of that, to experience those connections more frequently and gain more insight into that little mind of his. We've come a long way in a year and I can hardly imagine what another year will bring!

No comments: