Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Last year I blogged about the awesome Memorial Day weekend we had. It was the perfect mix of productive and relaxing. We got a lot done, especially in light of all the baby prep we had to do, but at the same time we got to see some family, catch a movie, and just hang out. This year, "relaxing" definitely wasn't a word I'd use. Fortunately, "fun" is. It was a busy but generally enjoyable weekend. I just wish I wasn't so wiped out from it all!

Friday we decided to go to the drive-in. Our favorite drive-in (there are two in the area, actually never been to the closer one) is in Perry, an hour drive from here. It's worth the trip, though, and it's a nice little nostalgia thing for me because Geneseo is on the way. Depending on which way we go, you either drive through Geneseo or spend a minute or two on the same road I used to travel from Buffalo to Geneseo. Either way, it's a nice memory :) The drive-in is cool, with some great food options, mini-golf, and an arcade. There's also a spot that backs up to a farm, and the cows just hang out right by the fence for petting and grass feeding. It's $7 a person for the double feature, which is cheaper than the theater. And now with a baby, not having to worry about a baby sitter is a nice perk as well. Craig really wanted to see Night at the Museum 2, and it was playing over the weekend. We got down there just in time to grab some dinner and head back out to the car. I managed to change Jacob's diaper and put his pajamas on while sitting in the front seat of the car, and then nursed him for a bit before eventually getting him to fall asleep. He was a little distracting for the first half of the movie, but I still caught most of it. Once he was asleep, he stayed asleep through the end of the movie and the drive home. We carefully extracted him out of his seat and put him in bed without incident. Awesome. Mission accomplished! It'll definitely be more fun to do when we have more time and Jacob's able to enjoy some of the other activities there, but it was a nice evening for us nonetheless.

Saturday I finally had a chance to get my hair done. At long last I once again have some blonde highlights and a refreshingly short haircut. Ahhhh. I feel much more like myself again. That afternoon we did a marathon shopping trip at Wal-Mart to pick up a myriad of stuff. Just a lot of random items that we kept adding to in the days leading up to it. Some was in preparation for Monday's party. I can't remember what we did Saturday night, but I suppose if there was any relaxing at home this weekend, that was probably it. Sunday we got up, went to church, had some lunch, then headed off to the zoo. It was our second attempt at the zoo this spring, and we were hoping that a less hectic day than last time would help Jacob "get it" a little more. I think he did. Still a lot of banging railings and staring off into space or at other people, but it definitely seemed like animals would catch his eye a little more this time. We saw a lot of cool stuff because it was perfect weather and the animals were active. Maybe too active. Jacob almost got his first education on the birds and the bees courtesy of two tortoises, but Craig kept him away from their habitat...however I got video. I won't post it here, but I do have it on Facebook if you're dying to see it. Here are a couple pictures from the day:

Later on Sunday we took a walk to get some gelato at a place around the corner. Jacob got his first taste, a tiny little drop of mango :) It was a busy but fun day. We also spent some time getting things ready for Monday's party. And Monday was all about the party. BJ's, Wegmans, and home for a lot of prep work. We had a few people over to watch the NCAA Lacrosse championship, but most of us spent most of the day outside in the lovely weather. By the end of the day, we were beat and all of us were sleeping in the living room by about 7:30. Ugh. Not exactly relaxing, to be sure. All in all, Jacob was good during the whole weekend other than his random screaming fits. Those are really frustrating and I'm hoping it's just a phase. We're really trying to figure out a balance between attending to his needs when he's screaming, but not communicating that the scream works to get his way. Really fine line there...and it's so hard to not go to him when he does it, because he'll scream so hard that he'll choke and cough. Lovely. But when he's on the go and appropriately distracted, he's great.

I also took a few minutes on Sunday to get some semi-posed pictures of Jacob. They're not quite as pseudo-pro looking as a few other attempts I've had (Halloween, Christmas), but Jacob's too active to sit still right now, so I had to take what I could get. And even if the dining room chair isn't the best accessory, I still think the pictures are super cute. Enjoy... :)


No comments: