Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

We originally had plans to go to Buffalo on Saturday so we could split the Mother's Day weekend visiting across a couple days. Unfortunately, Jacob still wasn't feeling fantastic so I didn't really want to risk a good night's sleep by having him wake up coughing, noticing he's in an unfamiliar place, and freak out. So we decided to stay home Saturday in hopes Jacob would be ready to go on Sunday. We didn't do much on Saturday--just some quick running around. Craig mowed the lawn and went Mother's Day shopping, and I did some laundry...but other than that we stuck close to home and tried to relax. Still, Jacob is inherently tiring these days so I'm not quite sure how well that worked out! He did discover what is sure to be a favorite hangout of his, the front door! With the door open and the storm door window low to the floor, he discovered that he could look out and watch the world go by. We even waved bye-bye to Daddy as he pulled out of the driveway! He really seemed to like it, and seriously, how cute are these pictures?



He seems to be feeling a little better. His cough is less frequent though still rough-sounding, and his nose seems to be a little less runny (at least for periods of time). It's hard to tell if the Claritin is working, but I'll give it another week or two and see how he seems minus any cold symptoms. From what I hear from other moms, May seems to be about when the day care perma-cold disappears. Fingers crossed!
Sunday we headed out to Buffalo to visit both sides of the family. Just a couple quick hours with my parents, then off to Craig's family for the rest of the afternoon/evening. We had a nice time and Jacob really seemed to enjoy watching his cousins play. He needs to bulk up a bit before he can play with the boys, though, but I know one of these days, before we know it, he'll be in there holding his own! Even though he seemed to be feeling better, Jacob was pretty clingy all day. Every time I tried to pass him off to anyone, he'd cry or reach back for me. He's not usually like that, so I don't know if it was just his cold or the whole separation anxiety thing kicking in. He was really huggy when I got him back in my arms, which usually isn't something I notice. He'd wrap his arms around me and snuggle into my shoulder. I felt so bad that no one else could hold him for any extended period of time, particularly since our families don't get a lot of time with him. However, it was nice to feel loved, especially on Mother's Day. I contentedly held him for a good chunk of the day. It just seemed...right. He had some issues on the way home, though. He cried for about 30 min., from the time we started driving at near exit 52 on the Thruway, until we got off at Exit 49 so I could go back with him. I nursed him back to sanity so we could get back on the road, and then played with him until he fell asleep a while later. I watched him sleep for a bit and then we napped in the backseat together. Very peaceful.
All in all, it was a fun day. I feel like I need more weekend, but oh well. I'll hopefully get to take some vacation soon. I need it!

No comments: