Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Year Ago

It occurred to me the other day that this week one year ago was the last week of our baby-free existence. Fifty-two weeks ago this coming Monday, the pregnancy test came back positive and we were officially starting a new phase of our lives. I said from the very beginning that even if (God forbid) something would have gone wrong, there was no going back at that point...we would forever be changed by the experience. Fortunately all did go well.

I'm not sure what sparked that realization that it had been a year, but I did get to thinking that a year ago this coming weekend I went to Pittsburgh with my cousin, aunt and uncle to see the Dale Chihuly exhibit. We headed out Friday afternoon and came back late Saturday. Friday night we went to Joe's Crab Shack and I ate a bunch (and had a drink...oops!), and experienced my first bout of delayed digestion--an issue that plagued me for at least the first few months of pregnancy--where I would eat like a bottomless pit but stay full for hours. I slept horribly that night, partly because I was full, partly because I was sharing a bed with someone other than Craig, and partly because my aunt wasn't the quietest sleeper. The next day we went to the exhibit, then headed off to IKEA to do some shopping. We also ate at Steak-n-Shake. Yum. (And yeah, that really was among the highlights of the trip!) I still look back on that weekend as a last carefree moment...the last time of my life where I wasn't always thinking/worrying about this little human being. Even though we did plan a little ahead, the trip was a bit of a whim...not too easy to do that anymore! Even if Jacob is physically taken care of, it would still involve a lot of planning and pumping!

To spice up this post, here are some pics from the exhibit...keep in mind that what you're seeing is generally a combination of glass and plants!

It was a great weekend, but by the time we got home, I was beat. I tried to recover on Sunday, but by Monday I was absolutely spent. I hadn't been feeling too fantastic for a couple weeks at that point and was in the midst of the ovulation confusion, but it never crossed my mind that I might actually be pregnant. But before I called the doctor (since it had been two weeks since the drugs that were supposed to get me on track), I knew I needed to take one more test so I knew for sure...so on my way home from work, I stopped at Dollar Tree (I know...but seriously? You can buy like, seven tests for the price of one brand name one, and they're not ALL going to be wrong. All the ones I have ever taken have been correct. And the best part? You don't even have to do the stereotypical waiting...my positive result came in about 30 seconds.), and went home to take what ended up being the positive test. Cue the complete shock. The rest is history, and a year later here we are with a wonderful four month old baby.

Ironically, today I got a Travelocity e-mail about travel to Pittsburgh. And if that isn't enough, shortly after thinking about last December's trip to Orlando the other day, I got a call from Marriott trying to get me to book a trip to one of their resorts in Orlando. Weird. I can't believe that it's almost been a year since that trip. The past year has definitely been a whirlwind. The whole time period between finding out I was pregnant and Christmas (when we finally told most people) was such a weird limbo period for us. We wanted to tell people but were nervous about word getting out and something going wrong. We had to go through Thanksgiving with our families without mentioning a word. Once we got past the initial ultrasound and knew we were actually further along than we thought, we still had to wait because we wouldn't be seeing anyone in person until Christmas (thanks mostly to the Orlando trip). We told a couple people here and there based on extenuating circumstances (like only seeing them in person that one time and either knowing they wouldn't see anyone or swearing them to secrecy), but for the most part we had to hold our tongues for a while...living a double life, so to speak. I remember the exhaustion, the combination of fear and excitement, the ever-present feeling of nausea despite a voracious appetite, and the anticipation of all of the changes that I was going to be experiencing...and the odd feeling of not being able to share it all with some of the most important people in my life.

I think the time change has brought a lot of this on, since a good portion of this stuff took place during a "dark" time of year, and that time of year is back...yuck. It's just funny to be entering into a time where last year we were constantly thinking, "Wow, next year at this time we'll have a [insert baby age here]...", and now here we are. Time flies when you're having fun :)

No comments: