Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Nine years ago today...

...Craig and I met for the first time. I was in college and had hitched a ride from a friend of mine up to Rochester for my internship interview with the Amerks. I was scared out of my mind but super excited at the prospect of interning for a hockey team. I had done my Buffalo Bisons (baseball) internship the previous summer, and I decided early on the following semester that I should probably get more experience if I wanted to get a job in sports after college. When I saw that the Amerks offered internships, I looked into it with the Geneseo internship coordinator and was given two business cards. One belonged to a corporate sales person who had attended Geneseo, and the other belonged to a guy who had Craig's job before Craig did. Craig ended up contacting me, as he had taken the job over a couple months earlier, and we set up an interview. I still vaguely remember walking into the office that day and meeting him. Was it love at first sight? No, not so much. But in the weeks and months that followed, he was a great mentor and became a good friend. Oh, and did I mention I had to bug him a bunch before he finally hired me? I didn't find out I had the internship until I was home for Christmas, and then I had to run out and buy a car ASAP! Good thing I was persistent...not sure how he feels about that trait now, though! ;-)

I stuck around as an intern until the Amerks lost in the Calder Cup Finals in June, despite graduating in May (and I think I finished my hours in March or April!), partly because I wasn't about to leave in the midst of a playoff run, partly because I wanted to get as much experience as possible, and partly because I loved what I was doing. Staying on that long and getting good recommendations from a couple people led to me getting a job there, and Craig's and my friendship grew over the year that followed. I was dating someone else in the office for a while, so it really was just a friendship for that year. Eventually a mutual interest developed, and the rest is history. We dated for a year, were engaged for a year, and now have been married for over five. We've crammed a lot into these nine years, though. Who woulda thunk it? And now we have the most beautiful baby and a pretty darn good life. Can't complain. And it all started with one simple interview...

No comments: