Monday, November 17, 2008

Busy, busy, busy...

I have a very good little boy. Can I just say that? While he seems to have developed a car phobia (more on that later), he was so good this weekend in the midst of a lot of running around! Friday night was tough, because once we got home I still had quite a bit of packing to do. Traveling with Jacob is a pretty high maintenance prospect. Besides extra clothes, diapers, wipes, burp cloths, etc., I had to pack his Baby Bjorn carrier, humidifier (that was for my own sanity, since he seems to sleep so much better with it and I wanted to up the odds that we'd sleep well despite being in the same room), a few toys, a bottle and some formula, and more things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Oh, and I needed our birth certificates too, for Jacob's first trip to Canada (and IKEA!). The packing process seemed to take forever, and I kept having to put Jacob down somewhere so I had full use of my hands...poor guy just wanted to play, I think. Once we got on the road (after a couple runs back into the house), the trip wasn't bad. Jacob cried a bit but fell asleep rather quickly and stayed asleep for the whole trip. He was up a little later than usual since we wanted to stay up and play with Grandma and Grandpa a bit, but he went down fairly easily and slept well other than a couple of whiny periods that resolved rather quickly.

We got up the next morning and headed out to the St. Paul church bazaar. My mom wanted to show off Jacob to everyone who has changed churches in recent months thanks to problems at my parents' (now former) church. We were there for a while and he was content just hanging out in the Bjorn and watching everyone. Now that his head and neck are strong enough to face out, he's loving the view from that thing. We found a couch where he could sit and eat (awkward though it may be, breastfeeding is pretty convenient sometimes!), and after my mom and I grabbed our own food, we headed off to IKEA. I had been wanting to go there for months. I hadn't been to one since my Pittsburgh trip last November, the weekend before I found out I was pregnant. So...it was a whole new world of baby stuff this time around. I ended up with some little stuff, like a stool that I can sit on at Jacob's bathtime, and he will one day use to reach the sink and toilet, I suppose. I got a tray to go under his leak-prone humidifier, a toy to give him at Christmas, and a cool hanging storage thing for his stuffed animals...basically a cylinder made out of netting that has holes in it for access. He survived the trip through the store until the very end when he conked out (still in the Bjorn). He was fussy on the way back and we finally stopped at a rest area so I could feed him. He was still fussy after that but finally fell asleep until we were about 10 minutes from home. That evening we headed out for a quick dinner and went to see the Canisius College women's volleyball team (coached by my cousin's wife). Jacob was once again taking it all in, and didn't seem to bothered by all of the noise. He fought sleep for a long time but finally gave in. He didn't even flinch when the winning cheer erupted around him!

He had a good night's sleep again, other than one short fussy period, and Sunday morning we were off to church. He was pretty good during church but kept whining whenever I'd try to make him stand. He normally loves that but wasn't into it at that moment, apparently. We snuck off to the bathroom to get a feeding in while Grandma and Grandpa went to their Sunday School class, and then it was off to Moe's for lunch. He was in a great mood, laughing and smiling on the way in. He stayed happy but took a rather large poo while we were eating. He smiled right after, though...he knows what he's doing, I swear. :) Once we got home I was off to the Aud Farewell event with my cousin Kim, and Jacob spent the afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa! Kim and I had a great time reminiscing about our glory days as hockey fans, and Jacob did well hanging out at home. He was extra happy after a nap and a meal, and we had a blast playing with him before Jacob and I had to pack up and go.

As a whole he was so well-behaved all weekend. It seems that when he's happy, he's really happy...lots of smiles and some good laughs. When he's content he just seems to be taking everything in...looking around, reaching out, chewing on his hands. When he's not so happy it's obvious, and in most cases he's either tired or hungry (or maybe just looking for a little attention). Hungry is an easy fix, as long as it's a convenient time or place. If he's tired it's just a matter of getting him to relax enough to fall asleep. The one thing I don't get is why he's suddenly fussy whenever we get in the car to go somewhere. My mom's theory is that his carrier cover prevents him from moving his feet, but that happens before we're ever in the car, and he mostly starts crying when we start moving. That used to be a good thing for him, but apparently not anymore. It was tough to deal with it repeatedly this weekend (particularly when I'm in the front seat--at least he had company in the back some of the time this weekend). Maybe he's just uncomfortable in another way...Lord knows bundling up isn't very fun as an adult either, let alone when you're strapped into a car seat, too. Poor thing.

Back to the real world today, though. Hopefully he had fun at day care watching the snowflakes fall outside! Now it's just the countdown to a couple days off for Thanksgiving. I can't wait!

No comments: