Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Weekend

Craig was on the road this past weekend, which meant it was another weekend with just Jacob and me.  Once in a while these weekends are good, but considering Jacob's recent behavior (the fact that he will not listen at all), I was a little concerned.  The weather was also a concern, but the good news was that we really didn't have to do anything if we didn't want to. 

Saturday we woke up to snow.  We haven't had a lot of snow this year.  In fact, I think we were about four feet below average, and nearly five feet behind last year at this time.  It's been weird and a little unnerving, but I can't really complain now that we're past Christmas.  I wanted snow for Christmas but beyond that...ehh.  So this round of snow was a little bit of a shock to the system.  We got a couple inches in the morning, enough to make the roads crappy.  Jacob hasn't had a lot of chances to play in the snow, but I got him in his snowpants and boots and he came out to play while I shoveled.  He loved just running through the snow!  Of course, somehow he got snow in his glove and freaked out a bit, but eventually I fixed him back up and pulled out an old sled that my parents had handed down to me.  We took a very quick sled ride, which Jacob liked until we turned and he face planted a bit.  Even then he hung in there but we went back inside pretty quickly so we could have lunch and get around to naptime. 

After nap we braved the roads and headed to the library, our first trip in a long while.  We picked up a number of books--Dino-Soccer (a favorite), a Llama Llama book we hadn't read, another book by the same author, a hockey book, a Curious George book, a couple books by Mo Willems, and one book by the same author as the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books.  They're all cute and it's nice to have more new reading material.  Once we were done there, we headed off to get Jacob a haircut.  He was long overdue.  I love when he's got fuzzy hair.  Other than getting distracted and moving his head a bit, he did great.  We made a quick stop at the craft store (little side project I'm working on) and a quick trip to Wegmans before grabbing some dinner and heading home for the night.  After bedtime I went back out and shoveled another inch or two, just because it would be that much less I'd have to shovel in the morning. 

I was dead-set on going to church in the morning as it was supposed to be Jacob's first day of Sunday School.  He's technically been eligible since he turned three, but potty training was an issue.  At some point in the middle of the holidays that took care of itself, but it didn't occur to me for a while that he was finally good to go!  So, last week I finally remembered to sign him up and I wanted to get him into it ASAP before he freaked out about it too much.  I was looking forward to being able to pay attention in church for a change, too.  Anyway, we woke up to at least four inches of snow, and when I went outside to shovel, the neighbors were out and did me a huge favor.  The husband helped me shovel while the wife snowblowed not only the plow crap at the bottom of the driveway, but also part of the driveway itself.  Thanks to them we got out on time and just made it to church on time despite horrible roads.  Drop-off went perfectly.  Of course, I spent most of church looking out the windows at the hardcore snowfall (the pastor said it looked like we were in a snowglobe) and thinking about the fate of the soccer game we were hoping to go to later in the day.  In the end, Jacob really seemed to like Sunday School a lot.  Ironically, his first lesson was one of my more memorable ones from my days in Sunday School--Zaccheus--and I even sang a song to prove it to him. 

When we got home, I had to shovel again because we got another four inches of snow in a couple hours.  I only did half of the driveway to save time (and my muscles!).  We had a quick lunch and headed out to the Rochester Lancers' game.  The Lancers are our local indoor soccer team, owned by an old friend of ours, Soccer Sam.  He used to be involved with the Rhinos and I even hosted his TV show for a summer or two.  I had been meaning to get to a game all season, and I was running out of time.  Craig and Jacob went to a game earlier in the season when I was out of town.  Despite the snow we headed out.  The drive wasn't as bad as it could have been, and shortly after we got there, the sun was out.  Ahhh, lake effect.  Still, we officially ended up with 14 inches.  Wow.  Of course, it's all melting now.

Anyway, the risk of this outing was that Jacob had to miss his nap.  That is always difficult, but I figured I had an early bedtime to save me if necessary.  Once we were settled in our seats, Jacob seemed sleepy and a couple minutes after I hauled him onto my lap, he fell asleep for about 20 minutes.  When he woke up he was raring to go!

Here are a few pics I took while we were at the game...

And this is what I got most of the time.
Jacob wanted to play soccer, and I did give him some time during halftime, but he kept asking.  Still, we made it through the whole game and still managed to track down Louie the Lancer before we headed out. 

We kept things low key for the rest of the day--listening to Craig on the radio, hanging out at home, writing up Jacob's valentines, and fortunately avoiding more shoveling thanks to an unknown neighbor finishing the other half of the driveway.  Craig wouldn't be home until midday Monday, so it was one more night and morning of solo parenting before getting back to regular life.  Of course, in the end things haven't quite been back to normal--Craig's had a rough couple days of work, Jacob has been extra difficult, and Valentine's Day wasn't exactly idyllic.  More on that later, I guess...

No comments: