Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday Randoms

So, it ended up being a pretty low key weekend.  Craig was on the road from Friday to Sunday, so Jacob and I were solo.  I was fine with that, since I knew we had a couple busy weekends coming up with Easter and other things, and I thought I could take the opportunity to clean my house or be otherwise productive.  Well, the otherwise productive part worked out pretty well.  Between Jacob's naps on Saturday and Sunday I managed to take down the wallpaper border from Jacob's future bedroom, which he will move into at some point when baby #2 is actually a reality.  So, no, despite my worst fears, he will not have to live with butterflies on his walls.  Of course, after surviving a couple years in a purple room, what's a few girly insects?  It wasn't exactly fun, but it wasn't complete torture, either.  I need to get back in there armed with some vinegar and a good scrubby sponge to remove all remnants of the glue, but it's passable right now.  Of course, we still need to get around to recarpeting it.  The green carpet that's in there isn't horrible, but it's lumpy and doesn't really go with what I expect will be a hard-core boy room of blues and reds.  One of these days...as with most things.  I also spent part of Sunday's nap doing a little craft project to create an Easter-themed centerpiece for my dining room table.  It was moderately successful. 

Saturday evening we went out to the mall with Lori.  We wandered around, looked at a handful of things (sandals and belts for Jacob, primarily), and grabbed some dinner.  Jacob was begging to go on the carousel, and since he'd been a good boy and he ate his dinner relatively peacefully, we went (it's only a buck).  We decided to go up to the second tier of it, and Jacob picked a horse. 
This picture was taken moments before he sort of freaked out.  I don't know what it was, but he ended up crying with the saddest pouty expression for most of the ride.  I have no idea if he'd forgotten the motion or didn't like being up that high, but he was not happy.  I did my best to keep him calm until the ride was over, and while he was a good sport about it later, he did keep saying that it was scary.  Poor kid.  So, this begs the question, how long until he's begging to ride one again? :)

Sunday he was reasonably well-behaved through church and our trip to the craft store, enough so that we took a quick trip to the pet store next door to walk around and see the animals there.  It's mostly cats, rodents, and fish, but people do bring their dogs in and there's usually some getting groomed, so it's a fun little diversion.  Other than that, Jacob played and napped relatively well the whole weekend.  The weather stunk, so it made for a lot of indoor time, but overall it was a decent weekend.

Here's a picture Craig sent me from when he and Jacob were playing outside last week...and yes, it was cold, but they still went out.  He is such a goof ball.

In other news...Last week I found out that a book I had been interested in reading was newly available at our local library.  I was determined to get there and check it out before anyone else, so I arranged with Craig that he would pick up Jacob and I would run to the library after work.  I can take Jacob to the library, and I will, but sometimes it's just so much easier to go alone!  I did manage to get the book--along with four for Jacob--so it was a successful trip.  The book I'm reading is called, "Two Kisses for Maddy" by Matt Logelin.  It's the story of a guy whose wife died 27 hours after giving birth to their daughter.  She had a pulmonary embolism and there was nothing that could be done.  The book starts out as their love story, then transitions into how he begins to cope with the loss and figure out how to care for a newborn on his own.  Each one of those tasks on its own is daunting enough.  I can't imagine doing them simultaneously.  I'm just getting to the third part now, where he creates a foundation to honor his wife that helps other widowed parents.  It's truly an amazing story (one that I've followed via his blog for the last three years--his daughter is three months older than Jacob), and it gives you a new appreciation for a healthy pregnancy and birth, not to mention the luxury of a two-parent household.  I can't even fathom going through what he did, but it makes reading such a sad story just a little easier knowing the "happy ending"--that he's found love again and has done an amazing job raising Madeline.  She's the spitting image of her mother, too.  And now, of course, he's written this amazing book, which is the icing on the cake.  It doesn't make his loss any less painful, of course, but it is quite the story.  And mind you, I don't read a lot, so the mere fact that I'm reading any book is a good sign. 

As I mentioned, I got Jacob four books while I was there.  I got him this weird baseball one, that details all of the little things that go on in a baseball stadium on game day.  It actually reminds me of my days as a Buffalo Bisons intern, and it's probably a little over his head, but Jacob is remarkably smart when it comes to sports stuff.  I got him a silly one about a rhino with an itch, since he's gearing up for the Rochester Rhinos soccer season.  I then decided to get a little sneaky, since potty training has not been going well.  I got one book called "Dinosaurs Love Underpants", which is about how dinosaurs' love of underwear saved mankind.  I also got this one called "Have You Seen My Potty?", which is about a group of farm animals that steal a little girl's potty and discover the joy of pooping in a pot.  Of course, in the meantime the little girl has nowhere to do her business.  It's a cute book and Jacob really likes it.  And I really like that the library gives us a break from the many books we own and have read over and over again.  Who knew? :)

Despite those last two books and my strategy switch from the potty chart to jellybeans this weekend, Jacob is still no more enthused about potty training.  He's still professing his interest in big boy underwear and his ultimate potty prize, a lacrosse net, but he can't seem to make the connection that he actually has to use the potty all the time to get those things.  Let's just hope he gets into it soon, because right now it's going nowhere.  He CAN go on the potty, he just chooses not to.  What's still not clear is whether he's physically capable of consciously stopping himself when he does have to go.  We've been at this for a year now (as looking back in the blog reminded me), so I'm starting to get a little impatient. 

I'm also getting a little impatient with the weather.  It's just been miserable.  It's been cold, it's snowed the past few days, it was windy over the weekend, and it's been just plain blah.  Definitely not the spring we'd like to be seeing.  I've felt like it's stunted the flowers a bit, and I just wish the trees would finally go green.  I've been so cold all week, and I's just dying for warmth...along with everyone else.  The waiting is killing everyone around here.  Jacob is patiently waiting for the weather to get nice.  He wants to play outside in the worst way, and I'm afraid that the house is going to start bearing the brunt of the energy he's just dying to get out.  He's been running up and down the living room floor, shooting lacrosse balls all the time.  He's so ready to be outside, and I can't wait to see him in his element.  On top of that, he wants to go to a baseball game in the worst way. We've told him that it needs to be warm and sunny, but so far we've pretty much only had one or the other, and neither of those have happened very often.  But when we do get days with one or the other, he points it out, and then notes (a bit dejectedly) that it's not the other.  "It's sunny, Mommy!  But it's not warm out."  Cue sad face.  One of these days it'll get nice.  It has to.  And it can't come soon enough.  

I'm sure there was more I was going to share, but this is enough for tonight... 

No comments: