Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vacation Recap, Part One

Wow, what a week it's been. Sorry that I went more than a week between posts, but it turns out I didn't have a lot of free time on my vacation. I don't think I took one nap in the past week, which is truly a shame, isn't it? Despite a couple dud days, we did manage to pack plenty into our week off. It certainly wasn't long enough. I hadn't had a group of days off like that since Christmas, when our office closes for the week (though we have to make up that time, either by working more beforehand or taking vacation days), so it was our first extended period of time with Jacob in eight months. That's a lot of pressure! We started out our vacation week with a trip to Auburn, NY on Wednesday night. Craig had a Knighthawk throwing out the first pitch (lacrosse style, with his stick) at the Auburn Doubledays game. They're a single A team so it's on a bit of a smaller scale than we're used to, but we had a lot of fun. It probably helped that they treated us like royalty. The assistant GM is a former Amerks employee, and he hooked us up--two hats, a bat and ball set for Jacob, and free food all night. We had prime seats in the first row, right near home plate. Here's Jacob meeting the mascot. I think Abner was catching a pretend hit from Jacob. Here's Jacob in our prime seats, one hand on his bat, the other in the popcorn, and his eye on the action.
Here's the two of us in a rare successful self-portrait...


We had a great time but it made for a late night. Jacob freaked out about getting changed when we got back to the car, and it was a tough hour-plus drive home.

Thursday ended up being a dud. I finally decided to call the doctor to get my own nasty cough checked out, and the appointment was pretty much in the middle of the day which took away all motivation to schedule something fun. Jacob just wanted to play baseball outside (I think he and Craig did it three separate times that day) and was otherwise cranky. We had a lazy morning (and for some reason, it just wasn't the good kind), had lunch, did naptime, and I was off to the doctor. I ended up on a nose spray that I have to use until November and antibiotics, just in case. The doctor wasn't really sure what was going on, but since Jacob was already on them, she figured it was a good risk. I'm rarely on antibiotics anyway, so I agreed. I still have a bit of a cough, but now it's mostly mucus-induced, rather than those dry, tickle-induced coughing fits that made people think I had the plague. It's probably just allergies. Lovely. I think we ate in both meals that day and everything was just low-key...but not relaxing. Ugh.

Friday I was determined to do things better, and we got going first thing in the morning so we could make it to miniature golf before there was anyone on the course that Jacob could annoy. I had it in my mind that I wanted to introduce him to mini golf during our vacation, mostly because his hockey style isn't that far off and I hope to take him mini golfing for many years to come. We went to a place that's practically around the corner from us. We opted to go on the portion of the course with bridges and waterfalls and a cave (I think the former Putt Putt on Sheridan Drive in Amherst--now an Adventure Landing like ours, I believe--has similar theming, but the terrain at ours is generally less flat). Jacob got his own little putter and we gave him a crash course in putting. He picked it up pretty quickly, but he also had a tendency to pick up his ball. He'd do an initial putt, but then inevitably would run to his ball, pick it up, and put it three inches from the hole and putt it in from there. He'd also chase after our balls and pick them up. Hmmm. So, yeah, this is why I wanted to go when there would be no one else there. All in all, he seemed to have a lot of fun. He got a little out of hand near the end when we got to a hole with easily accessible water, but it wasn't too bad. He even got a hole in one with Craig's help. Neither of us got one, so he beat us there. Here he is with his putter...

And here's his putt-and-chase technique in action...
And here are the boys on one of the bridges...
We ended up going out for our favorite weekday-off lunch at the Pizza Hut buffet--the beginning of bad eating for the rest of the week--and then I spent the afternoon and evening doing yard work and packing for our trip. I also baked a homemade cookie cake (like the ones at the mall) to take to a family reunion on Saturday. It was a busy but productive day, and I don't mind those--though a nap would have been awesome.

Saturday we spent the morning packing up to head off to Buffalo for the first leg of our trip. The plan was for Craig to go to his cousin's bachelor party while Jacob and I headed off to a family reunion in East Aurora. We would meet back up at Craig's parents' house to sleep, then head out early to make it to Pittsburgh in time for an afternoon baseball game. We didn't get on the road on Saturday until early afternoon, and the weather was SO dreary. It didn't make for the most festive of starts to the vacation, I'll say that much. We got to Buffalo and dropped Craig off, and then Jacob and I headed down Route 20 to the picnic. We were later than I wanted to be, but it was ok because my parents didn't get there until a little after us, as they were coming from a picnic they went to near Geneseo...on the other side of Route 20! The day was pretty much spent with Jacob running around and playing any sport of his choosing, from baseball to lacrosse to badminton. Here he is in a baseball moment... Sometimes I was playing with him, sometimes my parents, sometimes his cousins. It's always nice to spread it around. At least it gave me some time to catch up with family. My mom ended up giving him a couple time-outs when he wouldn't stop hitting the net with his badminton racket, and he didn't want to eat much except for dessert, so he was a little difficult that day despite the massive amount of free play. We stayed until dark, at which point it started raining, and then headed back to Craig's parents'. Jacob slept most of the way home, but woke up as I was getting him ready for bed. It took a lot of cuddling and a lot of patience, but eventually he did fall asleep...in his pack and play, no less. Whew. Craig got back around midnight, and after a good night's sleep we were off to Pittsburgh. More on that soon!

No comments: