Saturday, October 31, 2015

This is Halloween

Another Halloween is in the books!  This year we got a bonus with Halloween being on a Saturday...two days of celebrations! 

Yesterday Carter came to work with me for the kid parade and trick-or-treating.  Jacob had school, of course, so it was just me and my little Marshall from Paw Patrol!  It was a lot of fun, even if he wouldn't get in a picture with the other kids.  This was the best I could get!
 
It was fun to walk through the other departments and see them get into the Halloween spirit!  Balloons, inflatables, cube after cube of treats...we had fun seeing it all and saying hi to everyone.  I liked being able to finally share my sweet boy with everyone after six months of either a) people seeing his picture on my desk or b) people just knowing the business side of me all that time and finally seeing the mom side.  Most amazing to me was our Gift and Donor Records department, which is normally so quiet (they have to be focused, almost to a fault), and having their whole department be decorated like crazy and having them all be chatty and enamored with my little boy.  He filled up his little pumpkin with candy (I think we need to graduate next year!  Clearance sales, here I come!) and we ended up with donuts in the Admin department.  It was a really good time and I loved seeing other people's kids. 
 
Oh, and did I mention that I was dressed up for all of this?   
 
It definitely made people smile (including Carter, who finally got it when I put on the hat and glasses), and the best line of the day was from someone getting the elevator who said, "Hey, I found Waldo...do I get a prize?"  The shirt and hat came from the family Halloween box that I brought home last weekend, and the cane was a few bucks at Party City.  My mom made the shirt for my brother back in high school.  He was a great Waldo.  I didn't do too bad, though!
 
I took Carter back to daycare as the sugar kicked in, and he joined his class just in time for party treats.  He sat down at the table next to a little girl dressed as another Paw Patrol character, Skye.  It was so cute to see them both together!
 
In the meantime, Jacob was at school doing their fall activities, cookie decorating and tasting fruits and veggies they found at the market.  Craig went in to help out.  It was definitely a bummer to not have the parade, even though the logistics of that are usually tough.  I saw everyone else's school pictures and the joy on the kids' faces, and it just made Jacob's day seem like it was lacking. 
 
I carved our big pumpkin last night, and another first thing this morning.  It was a pretty low-key day otherwise.  Although, I did completely reorganize the boys' books.  The kid books (including the beloved Brady Brady series) moved from Jacob's bookshelf to Carter's.  Jacob's got filled with the bigger kid books I brought back from my parents' house last weekend, and Carter's bookshelf is now overflowing.  I actually moved the largest of his books from his main shelf over to a crate on the other side of the room.  It not only improves access to those books, but makes room for so many others on the shelf!  It actually looks cute, too, and Carter loves it!  I took care of the rest of the boxes I brought home last weekend, then did some work in the yard during Carter's long nap.  I cleaned up the water table, took the barrier out from around my garden, and cleared all of the crap out of my awful front flower bed.  Oh, and I saw the creepiest spider ever!
 
The big boys played outside a bit, watched a movie, and ran to Wegmans, and before we knew it, it was time for trick-or-treating!
 
I got the pumpkins out and glowing... 
Hard to see our pumpkins from last week on the bottom--my battery powered tea lights aren't very strong--but the ones up top were our official ones!  I love the big one, and I like that the little one has ears!
I pretty much did the pumpkins on my own this year.  I guess that's what I get for having kids that don't like to be dirty or sticky or messy! 

Jacob was saying all day that he didn't even want to go trick-or-treating.  He really wanted to give out candy!  I told him I did not spend $30 on his army guy costume for him to hand out candy.  Sigh.  At least this year I got a picture of them together, fully in costume, and not miserable!



Trick-or-treating went okay.  The weather was nice, a little chilly but very tolerable.  I had a heck of a time getting both kids to say trick-or-treat and thank you.  Jacob obviously was not exactly helpful with his brother, but we didn't have any fights either, so that's a win.  We went up the one side of the street and Jacob wanted to quit 2/3 of the way down, but I convinced him to stick with it until the end of the street.  Good thing, too, since the last couple houses were fun!  One had lots of decorations (Carter was scared by the inflatable tunnel) and a guy in a goalie mask waiting on the porch to scare big kids.  The other had a guy dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi who welcomed the "young Padawans" to his driveway.  It was outstanding.  We had to skip the entire other side of the street, though, because Jacob wanted to go out for a shift with Craig.  I tried to catch a picture of the boys walking back, but even my camera's not that good... 
Jacob is up there somewhere...
About one minute after I took this picture, Carter wiped out and scraped up his chin.  I shined the flashlight and saw blood, so I picked up the pace back home.  It was just a scrape and he went back out for the handful of extra houses with Daddy, but he might be hurting tomorrow.  Of course, he doesn't even win the bloodiest Halloween award since Jacob had that gusher of a lip injury when he was 1-1/2 that sent us to the ER (unnecessarily, as it turned out) on Halloween night.  Ugh.  Anyway, Carter had already bumped his eye today when I accidentally nudged him as he was standing at the top of the stairs, and then I noticed tonight he seemed a little warm, and sure enough, a low-grade fever.  He'd been coughing and congested most of the day, so he must have a bit of a cold.  We're also watching him for a potential UTI, because lately it seems like he only pees a tiny bit then five minutes later ssays that he has to go again.  Then last night he seemed to be pained when he said he had to pee, and he said it felt hot, completely unprompted.  So, we'll monitor it.  He seemed fine otherwise, even with the fever. 

Jacob loved handing out candy, and our switching of his gluten-filled candy was relatively easy.  Both kids have plenty, especially Carter, thanks to my office.  I normally try not to eat my kids' candy, but he's got a ton and we don't need to keep it sitting around.  We have a lot of extra anyway, because our neighborhood is always unpredictable.  Some years we have very few, some years we run out of candy.  This year was pleasantly in the middle.  I also saw some cute costumes and had very polite, mostly costumed older kids.  Not bad.

So, November starts tomorrow.  Time change tonight, early sunsets from here on out.  Hopefully Carter will recover quickly.  We have 3-1/2 weeks on the downslope of fall, then Thanksgiving, and then the crazy Christmas season will be upon us.  I'm not sure I'm ready for that this year, but it'll be here quickly!  Anyway, I think it was a good Halloween.  We've had our ups and downs, but all things considered, we had some fun and ultimately that's what matters!

No comments: