Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Weekend

Well, this weekend didn't turn out quite like I thought it would. But yet, it still turned out to be a pretty darn good weekend. After a busy and stressful week (still worrying about all of this house stuff), I was really looking forward to Friday. I got to dress up for work (I was a Deal or No Deal model, complete with case #7...I even won a prize!) and Jacob got to wear pajamas to daycare for their second annual pajama party day. Not having to worry about sending his Halloween costume there was a godsend! It ended up being a great day full of food and fun, and we had a nice evening out to dinner before going home and relaxing!

Saturday we had to be up bright and early because the realtor was coming to check out our house and give us suggestions of what we might need to do before putting it on the market. The meeting was good--she thinks our house is in great shape, though an inspector may have another opinion--but we still have about a million questions running through our minds. Jacob took a long nap in the afternoon that afforded me the opportunity to do some running around. I researched new car seats and did some shoe shopping, and he was in a good mood when I got home. We grabbed a quick dinner and then it was time to do a quick pumpkin carving (I ran out of time to do it earlier in the week) and get Jacob ready for a couple houses worth of trick or treating. We were just about to do some last minute pictures before going out, and all of a sudden I heard a thump. Jacob fell into our storm door and cut his lip on the metal bar that controls how quickly the door closes. He was bleeding pretty good and screaming like crazy. Craig and I were pretty frazzled, just trying to get a good look at it (you know how blood channels wherever it's wet? That made it look a lot worse than it was) and eventually trying to get him out of his costume and start icing it down. He bled on his costume a bit (got it out pretty well, I think) and it took a freeze pop to ice it, but eventually he calmed down and it stopped bleeding. Still, we called the doctor and they said that if the edges were split open, that we needed to take him to the emergency room. Ugh. Still, the bleeding had stopped and he seemed to be doing ok, so I got him back in his costume and took him across the street and next door to get in his first trick or treating. Good thing we did, because those great neighbors I mentioned in the post about our househunting had this nice baggie full of stuff for him--animal crackers, wafer cookies, and a couple easy to eat candies. So nice. See why I'm hesitant to leave them? They were sad to hear we were looking, too.

Anyway, after stopping at the next door neighbors' as well, we went home, took off the costume, and headed out to the ER. Craig remarked that it was like an episode of "ER", going to there on Halloween. Fortunately, it wasn't very busy. We were in and out in about an hour, and Jacob seemed to brighten the night of every staffer there just by walking around and smiling. It was really cute. They decided he didn't need a stitch, so we paid our co-pay (ugh) and went home. At least we had peace of mind, and we're so lucky it wasn't worse. Jacob was great through it all and he fell asleep on the way home. Since the disaster prevented us from getting any good Halloween pictures, I took one of my sleepy little boy and his fat lip...

Since it's a little hard to see, here's a zoomed in version:
The cut goes up under the lip a bit, and there is a purple bruise inside his mouth where his teeth must have hit when he fell. Ouch. The swelling was down by yesterday morning, and it seems to be healing nicely. It hasn't seemed to bother him at all. Once he was in bed, we finished off Halloween night by watching Monsters vs. Aliens...cute movie. Odd concept, but we loved the blue blob :)

Yesterday ended up being a little wacky. Not sure if it was the time change or what. We got up for church just fine. Jacob usually falls asleep on the way home from church and seemed well on his way when we left church yesterday, but he was still awake when we got home and was all of a sudden chipper again. So, we ran out and did a couple errands at the mall (the rest of my shoe shopping, socks for Jacob, and a phone charger for Craig). Jacob fell asleep on the way home that time and then proceeded to sleep through lunch. Oops. I was really starting to get nervous about how the rest of the day would go when he was still sleeping at 2:30! While he slept we ate lunch, watched the Bills game, and I got caught up on a bunch of newspapers and other stuff I'd been meaning to read. Jacob finally woke up, ate his lunch no problem, and then we were off to another open house. We knew this one was a bit out of our price range, but it was close by and I wanted to see if the extra $13,000 more it cost over the other one we're looking at made a big difference. Sure, the living room and kitchen were gorgeous, and two of the three bedrooms were big, the bathrooms were newer and the house was generally very nice....but the basement was crappy and the third bedroom was tiny. But really, for about $200 more per month, nah. Don't get me wrong...I'd live there in a heartbeat. But given the cost and the couple things I didn't like, it wouldn't be my first choice. Still, Jacob liked the stairs a lot and it was, as always, an educational experience. We're still pretty stuck at the moment, but we're waiting on a few answers so we shall see...

Once we got home we headed out to the backyard to play in the leaves. Well, Craig was raking and bagging, and I did a little raking to make some piles for Jacob so I could snap a couple pictures of him. Here are the best of the best...
He's helping put the leaves in the bag in this one...

And now he's helping to rake...

But it's really most fun to play in them!

If you want to see the rest of the photo session, click here and go to page 5. Some of them ended up a little blurry because I was playing with the settings on my camera, but you get the idea :)

We finished off the day with a good dinner and a bath for Jacob. After Jacob was in bed, Craig and I attempted to catch up on some TV. We both fell asleep during the second show, sometime before 11pm. I guess it was a busy weekend for all of us!

No comments: