Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Freakout

We are two days into this new month and I am already panicking about the rest of this month.  We have SO much going on.  Usually October and November are the calm before the (snow)storm that is Christmas.  I mean, I know we usually have some stuff happening because it's always a challenge to schedule pumpkin patch trips and things like that, but I am seriously having trouble keeping everything straight.  Ironically, when I flipped over my kitchen calendar this morning (yes, a day late), it was totally blank.  I didn't have anything written on it because we had no birthdays or other appointments I had felt compelled to write on it ahead of time.  But it's already filling up, a LOT.

Next Thursday is Jacob's open house at school.  I'm really looking forward to that so I can get a better take on how his teacher is and how she perceives Jacob as a student.  Friday and Saturday I'm going to be focused on reunion weekend at work.  I'd be working Friday anyway, but I will be back and forth to campus and doing any final preparations for the events I'm working on Saturday.  On Saturday I will probably be out of the house by 9am and won't be home until after 9pm.  I am working three events with only an hour in between each, and that hour will involve eating, darting across campus, and in one case, changing my clothes and picking up supplies for my evening event.  It's going to be pretty nuts.  I haven't worked a day like that in a long time, so I have to hope that adrenaline gets me through.

I took Columbus Day off work because Jacob is off school and daycare is closed.  That was just fine until today, when Craig got confirmation that he has a meniscus tear in his knee and his surgery is that following Wednesday.  So now I'll have to take at least part of that day off as well.  In case you were wondering how the tear happened....Do you remember back in the winter when I was off work and the neighbor's snow plow guy went off their driveway and got stuck in the snow for a few hours?  He created quite a rut in the grass, and he insisted to me (both in the winter and the spring) that he was going to fix it.  Well, he never did (for all I know they fired him), and one day Jacob and Craig were playing lacrosse in the yard and Craig accidentally stepped in it.  It's just off our property on a couple feet of land between the property line and where the neighbor's driveway starts.  Craig is giving me grief because he mentioned wanting to fill it in in the spring, and I told him not to because the guy said he would do it, and at that point it was still pretty early in the spring and the weather was barely warm enough to plant grass, so I was giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.  I guess I should have given Craig the go-ahead later in the summer.  Ugh.  So annoying.  We don't know how long he will be immobile, but suffice it to say it will be a challenging few weeks after that.

Of course, that weekend we have a wedding to attend in Buffalo.  I don't know how that will go at this point.  And earlier this week I just found out that my brother and his family are coming east for a long weekend the following weekend, so that pretty much books up the month since Halloween is the last weekend and we'll be setting Saturday aside for trick-or-treating and all that.  I'm really looking forward to seeing them, since it's been a couple years since we've seen them in person, I think.  We really need to get out there at some point, but clearly four expensive flights and life and schedules are not always easy to figure out.  I'm going to take a day off of work to get some bonus time with them (probably just me and Carter since Jacob would have school that day), but now that Craig's having surgery, we'll have to see if he'd be able to drive in separately for the family Oktoberfest that weekend, because one way or another I want Jacob to see his cousins.  Ugh, so much to think about.

On top of that, we do need to figure out the pumpkin patch stuff, as usual.  This weekend is a possibility, but the weather is going to be quite cool and cloudy and possibly rainy.  We might just have to suck it up and make it work, though.  We'd have another possible option next Sunday after my crazy work day, but it's always hard pigeonholing yourself when the weather is up in the air this time of year.  We do have one indoor option, but it's just not as fun as the farm ones.  It's a nice backup for when we just need a pumpkin and want the experience to be fun (and mostly free).  And, of course, we need to fit Halloween costume buying/making into this somewhere.  I found out that my office tends to do something sort of themed, so now I'm panicked that I will need to pull off my version of whatever wacky idea everyone decides on. Can't I just reuse the costumes that I wore at my last job instead?  And don't even get me started on the kids!

So now with this surgery, fall has dealt us yet another crappy blow...four years in a row now of unexpected, difficult circumstances during this season.  Yes, it could be worse.  But it has added a lot of uncertainty to an already busy month.  Time to take a deep breath and see how it goes...

No comments: