Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Catching Up

Just wanted to catch up on some pictures and videos, since I haven't done that in a while.  I'm working on a couple other posts that I just haven't had the brainpower to really get into yet, so here's the easy and probably more enjoyable cop-out...

Carter is talking up a storm these days...in his own language, of course.  We do think he might be just starting to talk for real.  "Ball" and "more" seem to be the words right now, but it's hard to tell.  He says "Mama" and "Dada" too, but it's hard to tell if he's ever referring to us or just babbling.  Sometimes it seems like he says "Mama" when he's distressed, so I'd like to think he's calling me!  But he seemed to sign and say "more" the other day because he loves his yogurt melts and wanted more!  "Ball" seems to pop up a bit, too.  A couple times he's said "ball" (well, "ba") in the presence of a ball, but that's not too tough around here!  He's been talking a lot, though, with really interesting intonation, so I have to think real words aren't too far off. 

He's sort of cooled off on the standing and "walking" since he was sick, which is a bit of a bummer.  For a while I thought he'd beat Jacob by a long shot, but now I'm not so sure because he doesn't have much interest in standing or walking.  I keep hoping that since his two best buddies at daycare are walking (including an 11-month-old girl), he'll get the idea, but nothing yet.  Besides that he seems mostly recovered from his virus, though he does have a cold with a nasty cough right now.  Poor kid.  He's also had some trouble falling asleep (and staying asleep) this week, but I can't tell if it's just a phase where he's wide awake, or if he's not feeling well, or what.  It's unlike him, for sure, since he's always gone down without a fight.  Tonight was better, but we'll see. 

Jacob keeps us hopping, as usual.  I sat on the phone with his teacher yesterday, hearing about why he got the lowest color on their chart on Friday and hearing about how he's been worse than usual lately with distracting behaviors like playing with his shoes and chewing on his shirt.  He's been a challenge at home, too, so it doesn't surprise me, but he has gotten some good colors at school, too, and was named  "bucket filler" (something we've been waiting all year for!), so I was hoping maybe he was settling in a bit.  No such luck.  But he does amaze us with his mind and creativity, and he's been loving playing outside now that the weather is a bit better.  I'll have more on him in my next post.

Now here are a few pictures of the smilier of the two boys.  Despite all the illnesses lately, he'll still give me a few smiles...



And now, let's jump in the wayback machine.  I have lots of videos that I just got uploaded, going all the way back to January.  Here goes...

Here is video of Carter loving the Christmas tree (see, way back!).  He loved when I turned it on, and he loved checking out the ornaments...hence why I had that one at the bottom of the tree!


 Like Jacob, Carter has taken a liking to sports equipment.  He really likes his plastic golf clubs and mini hockey sticks.  Here he is, learning how a stick and a ball can interact...


The week before Carter's birthday I pulled out some of Jacob's old toys, including the ball popper.  Carter loved it immediately, and Jacob decided to enjoy it again, as well.  He ended up using it like an air-propelled baseball tee and was teaching Carter how to play.  It was one of the first times he actually interacted directly with Carter, even though he almost took his head off a couple times.  Carter loved it, though! 


Finally, here are two videos from Carter's birthday.  The first is when he was first confronted with his cake.  He took a while to figure out what to do with it, even though he nearly grabbed it once a few minutes earlier when I accidentally got too close! 


Once he got his first taste, he decided it was a pretty tasty treat, and a little while later he was covered head to toe with frosting. 


I apologize that there hasn't been much of this stuff on here of late.  With all of the sickness around here lately it hasn't been particularly photogenic.  I've been so busy with work and so tired at night that it's hard to get a good post out.  But I want to make sure I'm documenting things, so hang in there...I'll get to it eventually!  (Though if you knew how many other things in my life had that designation, and you knew how long they've had that designation...you might be worried!)

More soon...

No comments: