Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Time Keeps on Slippin'

Today my brother turns 40 years old.  That doesn't really seem possible, quite frankly.  And yet, here we are.  He's 40, I'm 35, and we both have spouses, mortgages, and two kids.  Time just sort of keeps moving, doesn't it? 

Today also marks the 15th anniversary of my grandfather's death.  He'd had an aortic aneurysm ready to burst for a while, but was not healthy enough for surgery, so it was just a waiting game.  And one late April day in 1999, it went.  It was the end of an era, for sure, because he was such a huge part of the family.  He hadn't been well in his later years, but he was still up for a good card game and great conversations.  We all miss him.  I wish Craig would have had a chance to meet him (and no doubt debate him), and I would have loved for him to see my kids.  He'd have gotten a kick out of them.  On the bright side, some of his best traits have showed up in my dad, so there's still a little piece of him sticking around!

Anyway, when he died, I was a junior in college.  I came home for a long weekend, and it ended up being a really special weekend with my entire family.  We did a lot of great reminiscing and made the time at the funeral home as good as it could have been.  In addition, it happened to be Kentucky Derby weekend, which was appropriate given all of the time my grandpa spent at OTB.  He loved horse racing, and it felt just right to be watching the Derby in between funeral home sessions.

I was 20 years old at the time, and my brother had just turned 25.  And now here we are 15 years later, all grown up.  The weird thing is that I still remember my dad's 40th birthday pretty vividly.  I was 10 years old at the time.  He had a pretty big party at our house, complete with over the hill gifts and an inappropriate cake.  Of course, he seemed older at the time than my brother seems now, but everything is relative, I guess.  Then again, my dad had a 14 year old and a 10 year old, whereas my brother's kids are 5 and 2, so I guess that could have an impact, too.  But it just seems crazy that I remember my dad turning 40, and now it's my brother's turn 25 years later.  Yes, a lot of time has passed, but how is it possible we're that old?!

And you know, I know all too well that one day I'm going to wake up and it'll be another 15 years down the road.  My boys will be all grown up and I won't be that many years behind where my parents are now.  It's crazy to think about it.  That's why I try to savor every day, though it's hard amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life.  But I try.  And right now, that's about all I can do.

No comments: