Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sick and Snow

I spend most of winter paranoid about anyone getting sick.  The more I read people talking about it on Facebook, the more I see notices pop up outside the rooms at daycare, the more paranoid I get.  Particularly where the kids are concerned. 

Carter had been having some moody moments lately, and his cheeks have been pink for a couple days.  Still, he seemed happy most of the time so I was hoping it was just teething.  Last night he wasn't that interested in eating.  After dinner he was hanging out on the floor in the living room, and suddenly I heard a noise.  I turned around to see him full of chunks from his dinner, along with curdled milk.  Man, puking was easier before solids!  He heaved a couple times and we headed off to the bathtub. 

I gave him some water before bed, and that came right back up, too.  I momentarily thought that maybe touching his food after touching the rice noodles we had with dinner made him have a reaction, but he's never thrown up multiple times from rice exposure.  He was happy in between episodes, so I put him down to bed hoping he'd sleep it off.  He threw up one more time in bed, but much less.  I set up shop next to him for the night.  He proceeded to dry heave every 20-30 minutes for the next few hours.  I felt so bad for him, but he was a trooper.  He barely cried.  Heck, I cry sometimes when I dry heave!  Eventually he settled down for the night.

I woke up a few times and gave him half a teaspoon of Pedialyte to help keep him hydrated.  He kept it all down, and slept late this morning.  Oh, did I mention we're all home today because there's a blizzard outside?  Jacob is off school, and with a sick baby and an active boy, we deemed it best to both be home.

Carter has been a little tired (read: cranky) today, but happy in between.  We've slowly upped the Pedialyte and tried tiny pieces of bagel and some Cheerios.  So far, so good.  He took one marathon nap and is sleeping on me again now.  He seems to be doing well, all things considered.  Now it's just a matter of waiting to see if anyone else gets it.  We have our trip to Toronto coming up on Friday, so that's a concern right now.  I haven't been feeling great today, but whether that's lack of sleep, a sinus thing that started yesterday, nerves, or some form of what Carter had remains to be seen. 

In the meantime we're housebound for the day.  The snow is blowing and we're supposed to get at least a foot by tomorrow.  Craig and Jacob have been outside twice trying to clear the driveway (and play snow football, apparently), and it keeps coming down.  It's just blowing and drifting and it looks miserable.  The Weather Channel is hanging out in the next town over, for pete's sake!  Adding insult to injury in this already awful winter is that it was finally 50 degrees the past couple days!  We've had such a cold, snowy winter, and that weather felt amazing.  And then today it's a blizzard and tomorrow it will be in the single digits again.  Someday it will be nice.

Anyway, time to take another shift with a cranky Carter before attempting dinner.  Wish us luck, in more ways than one! 

No comments: