Sunday, August 18, 2013

Solid Food!

Now that Carter is six months, it's time to move along to the next big thing--solid foods!  I've been wondering if he wasn't ready for a while now, since he didn't want to drink as much milk in the mornings and he'd been eyeing up our food more recently.  We've had him sitting in a high chair with us at dinner for a while now since he didn't like being left alone while we ate.   I've been giving him a spoon, sippy cup, or pacifier to chew on while we sat there, and for the most part he's enjoyed it. 

Yesterday I put him in the chair, put up the tray, got out one of the washable bibs (those will be a godsend for the early feeding days this time around), and mixed up some whole grain brown rice cereal with some formula.  This was the result...
 



He was a little sleepy at the time, I think, so he didn't last too long, but he seemed to like it for a while despite his faces.  Here he is at the end with a couple classic looks.  He was making noise while he made these faces, which is probably why they look so funny...


 
I gave him another round of it, a little thicker, when we ate dinner out, and he finished all of that up!  So, all things considered it was a good start.  Today he seemed a little less eager to open his mouth, but he still ate everything.  I'll give it a few days, I guess, then start some veggies.  We'll see how he does.  Maybe we'll finally have one good eater around here!
 
Interestingly, I have absolutely no recollection of how we did much of anything last time around.  I remember bits and pieces, but I don't know when or how I introduced things.  I'll have to look back in the blog and just take things one food at a time.  Jacob didn't like solids for a long time--which could have had something to do with him being sick right around that time and maybe early teething--but maybe Carter will be different.  He's still such an insanely happy baby, though I'm pretty sure my experiment involving sensitive formula (instead of what he uses now) failed miserably and was what caused him to be extra cranky for a couple days.  Bummer.  This better go away before it's time for regular milk!
 
But for now we've had a good start.  We also have a new high chair to test out.  Our kitchen here is a little smaller than our eating area at our old house, and our old high chair is a little too big for the area.  I used a couple discounts to buy a space-saver high chair that just straps to our regular chairs.  I should be able to position him better and not make us feel so crunched in the corner.  Seems crazy, but I think it will be worth it.  More updates to come!

No comments: