Sunday, August 25, 2013

Growing Up and Moving Forward

It's been a big week around this house.  Last Sunday, I was feeling around in Carter's mouth and holy cow--there was a tooth!  He's been drooling and chewing on everything, so I guess it's not a surprise, but Jacob didn't get his teeth until he was over seven months old!  The good news so far is that teething has not destroyed Carter's good sleeping habits.  Jacob was a horrible sleeper when he was teething, but so far Carter has just been a little more unsettled when he goes down and waking up a little earlier, but as a whole he's been fine.  I'd also say he's a little less patient when left alone, but he's still mostly his smiley self!  We're doubly lucky, too, since he got a cold this week.  He came home on Tuesday with watering eyes and congestion, and Wednesday morning when I walked into daycare, his whole room was staring back at me with familiar red, watery eyes and a runny nose.  It was sad and adorable at the same time.  I guess they all share at least one thing well!

Then yesterday I was feeling in there again and felt a second!  It looks like those first two teeth are coming in a little crooked, which I think Jacob's did too!  They're just a little bit through right now, though I haven't been able to get a good picture.  He's still chewing and drooling up a storm, and of course, this is just the beginning!  Solids are going so-so.  We've tried them once or twice each day, and sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't.  It's hard to find a good time to do it where he's hungry enough (without spoiling his next meal) but where he's not tired or losing patience sitting in his seat.  He doesn't love it yet, but we've also just been trying out cereal and veggies (squash and green beans, so far).  Of course, right now he probably can't even taste it since he's so congested.  We'll keep working on it.  No rush, obviously, since Jacob didn't get a hang of it until he was at least seven months old.  He was sick and teething at the time, too, and then he used the Jumperoo a little too soon after eating one time and that did NOT go well.  He had a tough time all around.  Hopefully we can improve this time.  I do have meats ready to go as well, but I don't know if I'm courageous enough to try those anytime soon.

Jacob finished off his first year of t-ball this week.  It was definitely an interesting season.  I think the kids learned a lot, but whether or not they actually remember to apply it is the question!  I have a hard time picturing a lot of them moving up to Rookies next year.  Even Jacob, sometimes.  He may be a fantastic hitter, but he still has a hard time playing defense or, really, paying attention!  I think he'll get there, but it will be interesting seeing how many kids stick around for another year.  He fell into a great coach this year, though, so we'll try to get back with him next year.  We went to the season ending party at his house yesterday, and all I can really say is WOW.  More on that in a bit.  Beyond that, I think we'll be taking a little break from organized sports before ramping up for lacrosse in November.

Jacob is less than two weeks away from Kindergarten now.  I can hardly believe it!  We finally got his packets of information this week.  We have a bunch of supplies to shop for and a little project to complete.  It all has to be done this week because we're going to run out of time with a busy weekend next weekend.  Part of me is terrified about him going to Kindergarten.  I'm worried about his ability to be independent with things like eating lunch and pooping, and concerned about him following directions and staying focused.  I'm still torn on him riding the bus, and I just don't know if the change is going to have a positive or negative effect on him.  He's smart and I can't imagine him spending another year in Pre-K, but this might be a shock to his system or a rude awakening for us when we start getting calls about his behavior.  We still have a lot of preparing to do, and not a lot of time to do it.  No lie, this summer has gone quicker than expected and suddenly we're down to our last real week.

Overall, I'm just really seeing how much both boys are growing up.  Jacob is such a big boy all of a sudden (despite his behavior issues), and Carter is growing and changing so fast!  I pulled out the 6-9 month winter clothes today, just so they're ready when the cooler weather starts, and it boggles my mind that he's already there.  It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that Jacob wore that stuff!  Time is just going so quickly!

Just a few pictures from the weekend...
Hard to see, but that's Jacob taking a shot on his coach's basketball court.  Ummm...yeah, that's in his coach's backyard.  Apparently health insurance consulting is a good business.  And yes, that's a Boston Red Sox "B" in the key!


This is the cake with all of the kids' names and numbers.  It was a fun season :)


 I took about five other pics of Jacob trying to get a smile, but all I got was his "evil" face, which I see far too often lately when he's being cranky with me.  However, he finally softened so I could get this one...handsome boy when he lets himself be!
So, it's been an interesting week.  And we have another ahead with lots to do before a long weekend. September is going to be pretty much non-stop crazy, so I'm buckling myself in for the ride!

No comments: