Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Second Time Around

So...yesterday Carter went in to get an upper GI to investigate why he's still got a bit of a cough and figure out how problematic his reflux is.  I initially thought it was the same kind of test Jacob had done, but it was a little different.  Carter had to lay on a table, drink some barium, and they watched and took pictures as everything moved down his esophagus and into his stomach.  They turned him a few times to get different angles and see how things moved, and within about 15 minutes, it was over.  Jacob's test lasted a good half hour or so, and he had to remain as still as possible during the whole thing.  Carter moved a bit and it was OK, but we still had to hold him in different positions and he didn't really appreciate it.  Oh, and he hadn't eaten for three hours prior, so he wasn't a happy camper by the time we entered hour four.

And OF COURSE, they didn't see any refluxing.  Dude, the kid has reflux...or at least, he's got something going on that causes stuff to frequently pop back out of his mouth and onto his surroundings.  I know his spitting up isn't as bad as it could be, but it's annoying to have your kid spit up on you an hour after he's eaten, randomly.  I know that the cough was actually more of a concern from the doctor's perspective, and I get that, though Carter's cough isn't nearly what Jacob's was for a longer period of time. 

So...given that they didn't see any refluxing, I have no idea what the next step is going to be.  Carter is on three medications for it now--Zantac, Reglan, and Prilosec.  Each has a different function.  It seems like overkill, but yet he still seems to have issues.  I don't know if they're going to want to do more testing, or pull him off the meds, or what.  I think Jacob's history has led them to make some assumptions about what might be bothering him, but it's hard to say whether it truly is the same thing or something a little different.  I'm pretty darn sure that Jacob's cough was way worse than Carter's, and that Carter's spitting up is way worse than Jacob's ever was.  On one hand I'm glad they didn't see anything serious, but on the other hand I feel like we put him through all of that for nothing. 

Doing all this stuff for the second time around has been a little different than the first time.  The first time we obsessed over this testing and we agonized over his illness.  This time it felt a little more matter-of-fact.  It still wasn't fun to make him go through it, but I don't think we overthought the whole situation this time.  Heck, Craig didn't even go to the procedure.  We agonized over Jacob going on his medicines, but with Carter, we know everything went fine so it's much easier to go with the flow.

I guess with a second child you've "been there, done that" and you know things eventually work themselves out.  Rarely do your worst nightmares come true.  Of course, I have friends whose little girl is battling cancer right now, so I guess you always have that in the back of your mind.  But most of the time these sorts of things eventually resolve themselves uneventfully one way or another.  You have way too many other things to worry about (kid #1 included) to think too deeply about anything.  Going through this stuff the second time around is much easier, but I guess there's that tiny bit of risk you won't agonize enough and you'll miss something. 

I'm glad that Carter apparently isn't that sick, but I just wish we had gotten some sort of answer because I still know that something's off.  I'd rather not have my baby full of drugs if they're not going to help him.  But how do you know?  Ugh...perhaps I will overthink this just a little bit...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Ugh that is frustrating. I can't stand the "happy spitter" comment. Seriously when is spitting up happy people. My son had to do the same test as Carter because he wheezed during/after eating and they wanted to check the flap at the base of esophagus. Flap was fine but he did have reflux.

My daughter had reflux issues but they did not seem as bad as my sons had been and yet she ended up on Ailmentum and still spit and has minor issues on that.

Hang in there. Hopefully Carter's issues will resolve earlier than Jacob's did.