Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Weekend Roundup

Gosh, I feel like we haven't had one of these kind of posts in a while.  Seems that winter and Jacob's surgery have dumped us in a state of housebound boredom (or chaos--depending on the moment).  We simply haven't done much on weekends that's been blog-worthy, let alone photo-worthy.  Being cooped up in the house every weekend without much of a break has been easier than I thought it would be, as far as my personal cabin fever goes (apparently I am LAZY), but it has been a challenge for my patience in particular.  Two kids driving each other nuts all day for two days straight is not exactly my idea of fun, but the chance just chill out at home and not be rushing off to games or interrupting naps has its perks, too.  I've had to think long and hard about dragging both kids out anywhere because of Jacob's cast, so mostly we just stay put and I have to wait until Craig is home and Carter is napping so I can escape guilt-free to get things done.  The cast comes off tomorrow, so hopefully we can start getting back to a somewhat normal activity level soon.  Still at least a couple more weeks without lacrosse on Saturdays, so I'm going to savor it while I can.  I am truly excited for Jacob to get back out on the field, but games tend to fall right in the middle of our Saturdays, so sometimes it makes the rest of the day a little disjointed.  Still better than baseball first thing in the morning, though!

Anyway, Friday night we did actually venture out.  Craig was on the road so it was just me and the boys.  There was a fundraising event at Chuck E. Cheese for Jacob's school, and he really wanted to go.  Since he hasn't really wanted to get out and do much since his surgery, the mere fact he wanted to go meant that I had to find a way to make it work.  Luckily they have gluten-free pizza there, so it made the dinner aspect much easier.  Once we were there, Jacob mostly ran around on his own playing games, and I walked Carter around to find games for him to play.  He seemed to enjoy himself, though his independent streak makes it awfully hard to help him!  I only pulled out my camera once, to take this picture.  It doesn't really capture how much he was enjoying this train ride game, but he really liked it!

Jacob only ended up seeing a couple friends, but as a whole--considering I was there alone--it went fine.  We chose to continue saving our tickets to buy better crap another day, aside from splurging on one long Tootsie Roll for each kid.  I was definitely ready to leave by the end of it, but I didn't have to freak out on either of them too much, so we'll call it a win.

After dinner we went home, I finished packing up, and we headed to my parents' house.  They had just gotten back from a trip, so we hadn't seen them in a while, and I figured that we really needed to take advantage of not having to stay in town for Jacob's games.  With Craig on the road and so many weekends stuck at home, I figured the change of scenery would be good.  And it was.  Jacob spent a lot of time on his iPad, unfortunately, but sometimes it's hard to convince him that any of the toys there (my Legos included) are cooler.  I guess I can't blame him.  The older I got the more I used to disappear up to my uncle's room to play on his computer when I went to my grandparents' house.  Carter had fun with the assortment of vintage Fisher-Price toys--the Little People airport and farm, the circus train--and aside from being a bit stubborn at times, he played nicely.

Craig flew back into Toronto Saturday morning and stopped in at my parents' on his way back.  We then hatched a plan to leave the kids with my parents and get a date night in, as per our counseling homework.  We'd done lunch last week since it didn't look like dinner would work out prior to our next session, but the opportunity presented itself, so we took it.  We ended up having to sit at the bar of our chosen restaurant for a while, which was actually fun since we caught an alumni hockey game featuring Craig's favorite team, the Minnesota North Stars.  We had a delicious dinner and enjoyed being able to talk without being interrupted constantly.  We had hoped to go elliptical shopping, as that's on our agenda, but in the end we just got back in time to get the kids into bed.  Oh, and did I mention it was freakishly warm that day?  When we were in the car on the way to dinner, it was 51 degrees!  It felt amazing.  Over the couple days we were there, most of the snow melted!  But more on that in a minute...

On Sunday we went to church, and getting there was no small feat, as usual.  Jacob was too focused on his iPad, which eventually ended up with him losing it for the day.  He just would not focus on getting ready before hopping back on to play.  He was completely ridiculous by the end of the argument.  It's so frustrating.  Both kids were pretty decent at church, though.  Jacob managed to control himself even though he couldn't get blank drawing paper, and while Carter was a bit chatty and squirmy, we made it through without feeling the need to apologize to the people around us.  When we got back home, we played a bit with my old Legos and some toys called Fiddlesticks (similar to Tinkertoys, but they're plastic and the connectors fit inside the tubes).  The boys built a house with Legos and I built a giant rocket with the Fiddlesticks.

We stuck around for lunch and were planning to leave at naptime, but then Carter fell asleep on Craig so we had to stay a little longer.  In the end we got back around 4pm and settled back in for a normal Sunday night.  All in all, it was nice to get out of the house and stare at some different walls, at least.  It was also nice to hang out with my parents and hear their trip stories so we can live vicariously through them! regards to the melting snow...the one sideshow of the weekend involved a snowman.  Saturday afternoon, my dad got the idea to make a snowman on the deck.  Since Jacob can't go out in the snow, my dad just whipped one together to make the kids smile.  As I mentioned, it was in the 50s and sunny (though quite windy), so the snow was plenty wet enough to make a solid snowman.  As we were waiting, I captured this smile on Carter's face as Jacob rocked the chair he was in...

And here is the finished snowman.  Pretty cool, huh?

Of course, with temperatures in the 50s, by later in the day, he went on a bit of a diet and looked like this...
Notice the carrot and his eyes, nose, and all but one button laying at his feet!
By Sunday morning, we decided he'd taken on a bit of a female look, as his shoulders protruded like he had 80s shoulder pads and his waist was whittled down considerably. 

Despite the tilt, he actually stood through the night!  In fact, my dad posted a new picture earlier today, and it's still standing.  The head has melted away, but apparently his foundation was pretty darn strong!  He's probably on his last legs, though (haha) because we're getting tons of rain today.  Even though we still had quite a bit of snow at our house when we got home Sunday, that should mostly be disappearing today.  What an up-and-down winter we've had!  Hard to believe February is almost over!  Jacob's cast comes off tomorrow, Carter's birthday party is Sunday, and then on to March we will go!

No comments: