Monday, December 7, 2015

Birthday Weekend

This weekend was Craig's birthday weekend!  He had to work on his birthday, but we did what we could to celebrate.  We went out to dinner on Friday night, where Craig snapped this picture of Carter being a big boy at the far end of our booth.

Saturday Jacob had a relatively early game, right in the middle of Carter's naptime.  In retrospect I should have stayed home with him since it's the only game on the schedule like that, but instead we went.  Carter was a pain in the neck, but at least we got to see Jacob assist on his team's only goal.  Yes, they lost again.  It's a tough season but it's amazing to see him out there, improving each game.

After the game we headed home, packed up, and headed out to Buffalo.  We chased the sunset the whole way, and we had this gorgeous cloud formation ahead of us for most of the trip... 
Those clouds looked like cotton candy, especially the one at the bottom that looked like a full, spun piece of cotton candy.
 We had pizza and wings with Craig's family, and finished off the evening with ice cream cake...
 
Sunday morning we had to get up and running pretty quickly, but Craig did take this picture of Carter watching some morning TV with the sunlit window in the background.  Pretty, huh?

 
Carter and I dropped the big boys off at First Niagara Center for the Knighthawks' closed-to-the-public preseason game.  Jacob was going to be the ballboy, so he was allowed to go.  Carter and I had a few hours to kill, so we went to the Walden Galleria.  I spent many days off of my youth shopping there with my mom.  It's always been a huge mall, but over the last 15 years it's changed so much and gotten huge!  We only really got through the top floor before it was time for lunch, and the boys were finishing up shortly thereafter so we had to take off.  Only I can walk into a giant mall three weeks before Christmas and not buy anything!  I did almost buy two dresses really cheaply at JCPenney, but I exercised some restraint...and now I'm regretting it, of course!
 
We picked up the guys and headed home.  Carter fell asleep on the way to the arena, and Jacob fell asleep after a short time, so we had two sleepy boys the whole way home.  We had an uneventful dinner and then I tried to run out for a birthday treat from Wegmans, only to get shut down (the gluten-free section in the bakery has disappeared!), so I got us Frosties from Wendy's and we sang "Happy Birthday" over those!
 
Now we're back to the grind with our proverbial calm before the storm.  It's still a busy week, but this is our lull before the full brunt of the holiday rush hits next week.  I have two work holiday things, Jacob's winter concert (plus our next counseling session the same night), and we have a ton of planning and other things to be thinking about.  I've hardly bought any gifts, so it's going to be a mad rush at the end.  Plus I want to do some baking, I need to make something for our work event, and I suppose I need to start thinking about food that travels well for the holiday itself.  So much to think about, and I can't stand sitting at work and thinking about it all in the back of my mind while I'm supposed to be focused on work!  Apparently that phase has begun, though.  And now I have to go coordinate who's getting what for the kids before I go to bed.  Fun times. 

No comments: