Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Easter, Teeth, and a New Start

Wow, do I have a lot of catching up to do.  It's been a crazy, crazy few days.  I don't even know where to begin, but I guess we'll just take this chronologically and see how it goes!

Last Thursday was my last "free" day, and quite honestly I don't even remember much of what I did.  I went for a run because the weather was finally decent, I met Craig for lunch, and then I went to pick up my parking pass for my new job.  Oh, and I went to Wegmans to pick up a few remaining things for Easter weekend and finished packing up the kids and me for our trip to Buffalo.  Eventually I went to pick up the kids from daycare, and I was shocked to find out that one of Jacob's top front teeth finally fell out!  They've both been loose forever and the one night last week he was desperately trying to pull one out, but all it took was his lunchtime sandwich and it was ready to come out!

I didn't actually take a picture of the missing tooth or post it online because I wanted to surprise my parents when we arrived there Thursday night.  Well, Friday morning as Jacob was eating his Chocolate Chex for breakfast, the other tooth came out!  So, he has officially joined the ranks of the big kids with his giant gap!

It totally cracks me up, but I do think he looks adorable.  I can hear it in his speech periodically, but so far he seems to be doing well with eating and everything else.  He seems happier to have them out after having them flopping around in there for so long!

Oh, and before we left on Thursday, Craig brought home a couple treats for all of us, including gorgeous flowers for me.  I think it was an, "I'm sorry I won't be around for most of the weekend" gift.  He had to leave for Toronto Thursday night, work a game there Friday night, come back to Rochester after the game and work another game in Rochester on Saturday.  It was a busy weekend all around, clearly.  Anyway, here are a couple pretty pictures of the flowers...

We had a lovely Good Friday with my family.  We mostly just hung out during the day and I prepared some food for our annual get-together, including some gluten-free croutons for our traditional prunes and noodles dinner with my dad's side of the family.  I'm very excited that I know how to do it now, and that I know they turn out OK!  The dinner was a lot of fun as usual, with lots of talk about my new job in particular.  We headed off to a very nice church service after that, and then it was back to my parents' and time for the boys to head to bed.

We mostly just hung out on Saturday morning and headed back to Rochester after lunch.  We decided that it made the most sense to come home, go to the Knighthawks game, and head back to Buffalo the next morning with only one car, rather than being stuck with two cars if we stayed and Craig met us.  We had a nice time at the game and enjoyed church at our church the next morning.  I couldn't help but snap this picture of the area above the altar because it just looked so pretty...

After church we ran home and had a little time for Easter basket and egg hunting.  Jacob found the first one under the (transparent) hood of Carter's car!

Carter got in on the action with a little help from Daddy...

...and Jacob got a little cranky because Carter was getting help, which derailed the hunt for a bit.  But eventually Jacob returned, and the boys found their baskets.
Carter got some books, a Matchbox car launcher and more track, a few different kinds of candy, and one of those expanding towels with Scooby-Doo on it that he currently thinks is a hockey puck!

Jacob got a couple chocolate bunnies, a Nerds rope, some gummy bears and jelly beans, a little basketball game, and a Playmobil set.
The eggs hidden around the living room had change in them, so they each earned a little money, too!  We headed off to my parents' house for lunch shortly thereafter, and attempted to do a family photo.  This is about as good as it got...

I also got a cute picture of Carter and Grandma...

We stopped at Craig's aunt and uncle's house on our way south, then continued on to Craig's family's gathering.  We had a very nice time, with lots of eating and some nice playtime for the kids.  It wasn't quite as fun as last year's 70 degree weather, of course, but it was a good time nonetheless.  We headed back early in the evening and got back around bedtime for the kids.  I had some things to prepare for my very early morning on Monday, so it was a bit of a busy evening.

I had my orientation for my job at 7:30am.  My stomach was a little off when I got up, but I felt good enough so off I went.  The orientation was a little boring, but I suppose it could have been worse.  My table had a nice variety of new employees (there were 70 in all!), and we all just hung in there together through multiple speakers, a lackluster lunch, and the long-awaited afternoon cookie break.  I got out a little early and went home to catch up on things, but my stomach issues started getting worse and I was barely functional by dinner time.  It was all lower half stuff, but I was really uncomfortable and exhausted and went to bed early.  I wanted any chance of feeling better by the morning, and that was as good as it was going to get.

I woke up the next morning still having issues but having a bit more energy, so it seemed I could make it through my first day at work okay.  I carved out enough time in my morning to grab some anti-diarrhea medicine on my way to the office, just in case.  They had a nice welcome breakfast for me (bagels, fruit, and juice), and I started a busy day of checking out my new digs and learning new things.  Today was day two and things are still going well.  I haven't really gotten into the work yet, but I'm learning a lot of the context, I guess, and I'm slowly but surely getting trained on various other things.  So far everyone is great and I'm getting more comfortable.  I'll share more soon about my feelings on the end of my time off and our "new life" now that I'm back at work.  It's been pretty crazy, but I'm happy that things are working out well so far.  More soon...

No comments: