Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesday Randoms

The craziness has begun.  Thanksgiving is a couple days away and it's going to be full-speed ahead from now until the end of the year.  I have a ridiculous amount of work to do in the next week, and then I'm off work for four days to head to Portland for five days and meet my adorable new nephew, Max.  I can't wait to spend time with my niece Kate (and of course my brother and sister-in-law, as well), but of course I'm facing long travel and plenty of mommy guilt for leaving behind my sweet boy for that long.  Once I get back, I'll be diving head-first into Christmas planning, events, and shopping.  It's crazy to even think about.  Before we know it, Christmas will be here, I'll have an amazing week off work, and then it'll be the new year and we'll be back to the beginning of another year.  It's mind-boggling.

I've been dreadfully sick for a while now, which probably isn't helping.  The cough I've had for a month turned into a brutal assault on my sinuses over the weekend.  Terrible congestion that left me totally incapacitated Sunday night motivated me to go to the doctor on Monday, but unfortunately she couldn't do anything for me.  I probably just have an upper respiratory infection, which she wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for, and because I'm in the midst of the whole trying to get pregnant thing, it's risky to take any sort of drugs.  So, I just have to suffer through it.  She also said that it could just be my allergies being out of control.  Doubtful, in my opinion, though I'm sure they can contribute a bit.  I've been off allergy meds for a while, though, without much problem, but I guess cold season takes it to a different level.  I dunno...I'm tired of hearing her blame every single problem I have when I'm there on allergies, including my loss of smell and taste.  I'm ready to get a new doctor, even if just to get a second opinion.  It'd be nice to get someone who's willing to think a bit more creatively and listen to my concerns without sounding a little old-school-judgmental, like I'm someone who's spent a little too much time on the internet or something.  I've still had my moments the past couple days, but nothing as bad as Sunday night.  I've even had moments of relative comfort--not clear breathing, but not severe pain, either.

Jacob had been pretty awesome lately--which, of course, now that I've blogged about it, it will come to an end--but he's still having moments that make me crazy.  He's just been sort of fun and sweet and awesome lately.  Lots of hugs and kisses and cuddling, funny little observations, and silly little moments.  However, when he's bad, he's awful.  He's been super whiny lately about everything, demanding everything in an instant.  He has a major tantrum, complete with hitting and kicking, when he doesn't get his way.  That's just being three, I think, and I'm doing my best to maintain composure, raise my voice only when necessary, and try to be simply firm and consistent.  It's a fine line between disciplining him and finding ways to comfort him when he knows he screwed up, but lately it's been manageable.  And really, that's all I'm asking for.  Maybe he's easier, maybe my attitude is better, or maybe those good little moments have been good enough to remind me what an awesome kid I have a lot of the time.  It helps.

He's also been eating better--which I credit to rewards of Halloween candy--and going down to bed well--which I credit to a good routine.  Nothing's better than seeing your kid instinctively walk to bed after you finish the last book.  Sweet.  And the better behavior in general may be thanks to the Santa threat that we can exploit this time of year.  We don't use it a lot, but hey, one of the songs he's learning for the daycare Christmas program is "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"...you know, "he knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake."  Lucky us.

Speaking of which, tonight we sat down to practice his songs, the other of which is "Up on the Housetop", which I don't know that well.  But you know what, Jacob does.  The kid knows almost the entire song--all five verses.  I can't seem to learn it, so I'm extra impressed at how good he is.  Amazing how young minds soak this stuff up.

Tomorrow is his Thanksgiving feast at daycare.  I didn't go last year because I didn't really think it was worth taking off work.  But this year I had this image of him sitting there all alone when everyone else's parents were there, and I didn't like it.  I feel like some of his tantrums are just an attempt to get attention, so keeping that in mind I've been trying to do what I can to be there for him.  This seemed like a good idea, and I have a little vacation to burn.  I have way too much work to do, but this is important, too.  Should be interesting, considering how he acted the last time we hung out with him at a daycare event. 

washload, and good for teaching a little bit of responsibility.  Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for a good but busy weekend.  Time to figure Jacob out, transition into Christmas mode, and just be thankful for all we have.  Here we go...

No comments: