Looking back at my pictures from the last week and a half, I was struck with the randomness of it all. I can't say we've had a lot happening, but I guess we've tried to make the most of the small moments!
A week ago last Friday, I went on a tour of the UR laser lab. It's in the building next door to my office, so it was nice to finally see what was inside. I've heard about amazing things coming out of there, and in fact two physicists with UR ties won the Nobel Prize a few years ago based on work done there. While 95% of what was shared during the tour went completely over my head, it was really cool to know there are science people who thrive on this stuff and are working to find better ways to use lasers for lots of practical applications.
That weekend we managed to squeeze in one more mini golf outing before the weather went back down the tubes. We still had the second game of BOGO passes we bought last summer for the courses down in Henrietta, and I wanted to use it before they changed the rules or something. We played the course we didn't play last time. The other one was more of a rustic mining theme, and this one was beautifully landscaped with a castle and (like our usual course) a giraffe. It was a tough and questionably constructed course. I think they must have once been sued for someone tripping over the course border, because there was an area on each hole (usually right behind the hole) where the edge was super shallow...and the ball popped out there every time, even with not much speed. You can see it to Jacob's left if you zoom in below. We stopped penalizing pretty quicky, but it was a challenge!
| Those yellow flowers were so cool. |
| Maybe fall isn't so bad! |
I basically had the game of my life and won. Jacob and I were in heated competition until he blew one hole in particular and he ended up a handful of strokes behind. Craig did not do well at all, and Carter--despite playing pretty well and hitting some awesome shots--was so discouraged. As a whole he's not bad, but he always has a couple holes that he maxes out and those usually do him in. I keep trying to remind him that I spent my entire childhood playing mini golf with actual golfers so I always lost by a ton. It was discouraging, but look at me now! Hopefully someday he sees a little more success, because he's actually not that bad considering his style is very casual--sometimes I don't think he even aims!
Speaking of Carter, here's a random picture of him that I love! This is from after I hung the finished diamond painting over my bed. I was trying to get a picture of the finished product (and decide if it needed something flanking it on the sides) and he photobombed me! But how could I not capture this moment--my bed is made and my son is adorable! But how did he get so big?!
I had a second dahlia pop out last week, and it was lovely. This was right after it opened. I love how the petals are streaky!
Last week Carter and I watched together as the DART mission crash-landed a spacecraft into an asteroid to try to knock it off orbit in a test for when an asteroid might head toward earth. It was neat to watch it live, and this was the view right before it crashed. Look at that asteroid surface!
| Not sure why the screen looks so blue, but it's pretty cool anyway. |
Carter wasn't convinced at the beginning but got more interested as everything started coming into focus, and then he kept telling Craig and Jacob (who were not interested in coming upstairs) that they were missing out! It was fun to share that with him, though. I guess we still won't know for a bit if it was successful.
I've been very lax about going out to the yard since we got back from Florida. Part of it is the weather--it's been cold and rainy a lot of the time, and even when it's not raining, it's damp. If it's not sunny, cool and cloudy isn't really motivating to get me outside, and now I'm just out of the habit. But a frost was coming last week and I knew I needed to get out there to salvage the last round of tomatoes and whatever else was there. I picked a bunch of beans and a few cukes (another giant one, ugh), plus probably a cup and a half of tomatoes. I was shocked by some of the randomness happening in the yard. My front variegated weigela bush had flowers (four months late), my hosta had more new flowers (the last ones were spent in probably early August), and those last two late-arriving hydrangea blossoms were still going strong. I don't know how all of that was happening since it hadn't even been warm. Usually that happens when it's been cool and then gets warm again. We haven't really had much of that, so who knows. But given all the rain, I found a couple of these.
After the fun I had photographing a flower from below in the spring, I decided to do it with the mushroom, as I remembered ones like this tend to have a cool underside. This one seemed to have been sampled by an animal or something, but it still turned out sort of cool.
Oh, and I also found another dahlia hiding back there in one of my pots. Those plants did nothing all summer and then I finally got a little something--though not quite what was on the package! Still pretty, though.
There was a series of three piano performances with two people sitting at the same piano, which was lovely, and then the chorale came out and performed a couple songs. The first one was incredible--it sounded like an old hymn, but upon further investigation, it's actually a more modern spiritual that's only about 30 years old. I absolutely adored it, though, and the talent singing it was insane.
Back across the street, of course I had to stop in and see the Chihuly...again. But I almost never get to see it at night--this was only the second time ever, I think, and the first time in probably five years--so I was excited to get some better pictures with it illuminated. And it definitely did not disappoint.
As I worked my way upstairs (there are three floors in that atrium), I noticed out the window that the sunset was getting even more colorful. I couldn't believe my luck! I had the space basically to myself with this amazing Chihuly and an incredible sunset!
While I was up on the third floor, I took a little detour and peeked into Kodak Hall. Again, it's been years since I had been in there. I didn't linger since they were preparing for a concert, but I did snap a pic. That chandelier is amazing, as is the gold piece above it on the ceiling. It's just such elegance all around.
By the time I came back out, the sunset was even better.
And on my way back down I had to take my favorite shot--as gorgeous as the whole piece is, this bottom view just gets me every time!
I could have stayed there all night, but the sunset was getting even better! By the time I got out there, it looked like this!
I just missed getting a different picture of it on the drive home. It had turned into one very orange stripe, one very yellow (almost greenish) stripe, and a stripe of gray clouds. I just couldn't quite get a good spot to capture it, but what a show the sky put on. I probably said, "Are you kidding me?" about a dozen times throughout that whole escapade, like how did I get so lucky to keep seeing even more amazingly photogenic scenes? I mean, the sunset alone would have been great, or the centennial setup or the Chihuly, but to have it all happening together and the sunset continuing to get more interesting? It was incredible!
The next day I had another four-hour Eastman shift followed by a three-hour reunion dinner shift. This time I got to poke my head in on a Brass Cavalcade concert, which was definitely a new one for me to see something with nearly all brass instruments (save for a little percussion). This concert hall has many similarities to Kodak Hall, but is much more intimate. The wood paneling and the classic light fixtures are enchanting.
I ran out to the quad to catch an unobstructed picture, too. I mean, seriously? Two nights in a row? I just love this one with all the balloons!
On Sunday I had a lengthy to-do list considering I still wasn't feeling fantastic. I watched church from my bed, cleaned the bathroom, went to the Hilton Apple Fest (first time it happened since COVID) on an unsuccessful quest for lunch (sold out of the stuff I wanted) and glass pumpkins (vendor wasn't there), made a stop at Kohl's, then back for a lot of vacuuming before the boys got home. I made us all dinner after that, but ran out of energy before I got the Halloween decor out. It was a pretty busy day all things considered, which obviously made Monday a bit of a challenge. But it's a short week to be off with Carter on Friday and a half day with both boys on Monday. And we have a fun evening planned on Friday, my family's Oktoberfest on Saturday, and hopefully off to the pumpkin patch Sunday. Fall is apparently not for the weak--so hopefully I'm feeling better soon so I can enjoy it to the fullest!
No comments:
Post a Comment