Tuesday, December 13, 2016

News & Notes, Not Even Close Edition

Here we are, less than two weeks away from Christmas and I am not even close to ready.  We have one weekend to get a ton done, and I have no idea how that's even going to happen.  The good news is that the kids are mostly done and I have ideas for almost everyone else, but it's still a matter of going out and getting them.  You never know what's going to be out of stock or ends up not being exactly what you expected.  Time is the biggest issue.  I really need some good luck.  If that's not enough, there are multiple little things cropping up.  Carter's daycare night with Santa, my work party's ugly sweater component (and since I'm on the planning committee, I feel compelled to have something), cookies for Jacob's school activity, a food for my work grazing day, and who knows what all I'm forgetting.  Oh, and we have a couple doctor appointments in there, too.

Speaking of the doctor, Jacob seems to have adjusted okay with his medicine.  His teacher said he was quieter last week, and there definitely appeared to be an improvement in the quality of the work his teacher sent home last week--many fewer mistakes and even a "Wow!" on one of them.  However, he still forgot to bring his homework home twice, so clearly we still have some work to do.  Even in the little bit I've been around him when he's been on it, I can see a difference--it's hard to explain but hopefully I'll have more insight after a little more time.  We have a couple more weeks before we see that particular doctor again to re-examine the dose.  But as a whole, that doesn't really impact the worst of our issues at home.  Besides the usual issues with Carter, right now we're dealing with him not wanting to go to bed.  It could have something to do with the medication, even though it should be well out of his system by then.  But he's wanting to stay up late, often hiding the fact that he's playing on his iPad.  I have caught him faking sleep a few times when I've checked on him, as I see the flash as he turns off the screen.  It's happened enough that the iPad is going to have to leave the room at lights out every night.  I didn't want to have to do that, but we simply cannot trust him to go to sleep when he's supposed to, particularly if it's in there.

In other news, last week was Craig's birthday.  It was a pretty low-key affair.  We went to Red Robin the night before since Jacob had practice on Craig's actual birthday.  I made cupcakes for dessert for that night, and he got a special snow brush for the van as his present.  Not too exciting, but considering I can't even get a Christmas list out of him, at least it was something!



The other highlight of Craig's birthday was a long-awaited knee hockey game.  He'd been planning it for days, and as you can see, it is quite the setup.  We even had towel goal creases and a Sabres' logo at center ice!


After I took Carter's picture, I asked Jacob to stand next to him so I could take a picture.  And I kid you not, he jumped next to him, put his hand behind Carter's back, and posed.  What the...?  Wow.  Guess that's what happens when we do what Jacob wants to do as a family.  It's not always feasible, mind you, but he is much happier when we can.


Jacob had a lacrosse game on Saturday and finally scored his first goal of the season.  It's been a tough one so far.  He moved up to the next level this year, and we expected the team to be good and it was supposed to be full of the dominant players from a couple years ago.  However, they're all playing a level up, so there's a lot of less experienced kids again this year.  At the beginning of last year Jacob practically dominated because he was one of few with experience, but a year ago Thursday, everything changed.  The following day was when we discovered the benign tumor in his leg, and the long journey back to the lacrosse field began.  It's hard to tell how much he lost through that, but I don't think his struggles this year directly relate to that.  I think they're just a level higher and the lack of experience is more apparent.  They can barely get the ball down to the offensive end where he is, so it doesn't provide many opportunities.  He has a lot of areas to improve, though, but I'm hoping this will be a nice shot of confidence for him.

Saturday night we went to the Knighthawks' preseason game, which was actually pretty fun.  The boys were well-behaved for the most part.  We even got to see my step-cousin on my mom's side, whose roommate's boyfriend got drafted by the team this year.  She and her friend came in to watch him, and it was fun seeing her...particularly since the last time was at my uncle's funeral.

Sunday morning was the Sunday School Christmas program!  I actually managed to get Jacob to the practice on Saturday, which I felt would help him feel more comfortable with the real thing.  He actually didn't complain too much.  He seemed relatively okay with everything, though once he was up there, he seemed tired.  He was okay though.  He even did some of the hand motions!  He definitely wasn't thrilled, though, when the halos came out.

Later in the performance was when Carter and his class joined in...

My little angel!
He was pretty low key during the show, but he did well nonetheless.  Afterward, I got a picture of my sweet angel up close.

Since neither kid lost their halo, fell off the risers, had to pee, or ran out of the room, I think we'll call it a win.  It was nice to feel relatively normal for a little while!

But now we're back to another busy week and trying to figure out how to cram a month's worth of shopping into less than two weeks...and trying to figure out how the heck to get to bed before midnight without feeling like I missed an opportunity to do said shopping.  This time of year is brutal...so it's a good thing it's pretty!

No comments: