Monday, December 26, 2016

Before the Big Day

So...since Christmas prep sort of overtook things, let's rewind a bit and take a look at a few pre-holiday happenings...

I actually did pretty good and got a Christmas card picture taken relatively early.  Two weeks before Christmas, which is about where it should be but it rarely happens!  We just did it one Sunday after church, never mind that they're not wearing holiday colors!  We came up with the concept the night before, and thankfully it mostly worked out.  I couldn't get the lacrosse head and the bottom of the stockings in the shot, nor could I make Carter more prominent, but they're both smiling so we'll call it a win.

The following Friday we got hammered with a pretty significant snow storm, a good six inches overnight and about a foot for the storm officially, over a few days.  I caught this on the way to daycare/work, in my favorite spot of the drive on mornings like this.  The trees were coated, and it was so pretty!  The commute wasn't great, but it could have been a lot worse!

The next night, after Jacob's lacrosse game, Carter and I took a detour on the way home to go see a street nearby that's always very decorated.  We make it there every other year on average, and I thought he might be old enough to enjoy it more.  He was a little cranky when we got there, but I do think he liked this house...

The following Tuesday was Carter's little daycare Christmas event.  In past years (with the old regime) they did a full Christmas concert with each class singing two songs up in the church.  Santa visited during the day and brought each kid a gift.  Last year under the new regime they did a night with Santa--basically just some snacks and the visit from Santa.  It definitely didn't have the same charm as the concert, but being there for the visit from Santa was nice, even if Carter was scared out of his mind.  This year they had each group sing one song, offered up some snacks and crafts, and then Santa arrived.  Carter's class sang "We Wish You a Merry Christmas".  He did pretty good but some of his friends had a harder time...

He had fun having Mommy and Daddy all to himself!

When Santa came he was a little less excited.  Here you can see him reluctantly going up with Craig and completely hiding behind him!

But I think once he realized Santa had a present for him, he scooted right over to him and had a little chat.

He was very excited about his gift, a Scooby-Doo-themed Hot Wheels monster truck!

He had a blast showing his buddies and checking out their presents.  Of course, that night or the night after he was totally melting down about how he wanted Elias' present, a Spider-man action figure.  Sigh.

Tuesday night I had to bake up my monkey bread for my office grazing day on Wednesday, and Wednesday was a fun day snacking all day.  I had to head out early because Jacob had a therapy appointment.  Craig was in Canada for work, and Jacob and I actually had a very pleasant ride there and waiting time in the waiting room.  It probably helped that I let him add Minecraft to my iPod, but the peace was nice.  I met with the therapist first, and then he went in.  As he was in, I realized that my throat was starting to feel sore.  I'd had some congestion issues for a couple weeks, where once or twice a day I'd feel something rattling around in my sinuses and blow out a little bit of bright yellow yuckiness.  But there wasn't really anything else going on.  But of course, in the week or two leading up to Christmas, every night is a late night and I'm sure eventually my immunity must have given in.  By the time we left the office, picked up Carter, and made it home, the body aches, headache, and fuzzyheadedness had already started to kick in.  I dragged my way through dinner and bedtime, popped some zinc, and went to bed. 

Alas, when I woke up in the morning, I felt awful.  All of my symptoms from the previous night were as bad or worse, and I knew I couldn't go into work like that.  I didn't want to pass it along, either!  So I stayed home and rested as much as I could.  I dragged myself over to my wrapping table a couple times when the medicine was doing its job.  I also made gluten-free cutouts, which did not go well at all this year, but at least I had enough usable ones that Jacob could take some into school for cookie decorating the next day.  I wish I would have had more time to rest, but I was thankful for the extra time at home, even if I wasn't feeling particularly well.  I think I also started packing that night. But at the time I was a little nervous that if it got worse, we wouldn't be going anywhere for Christmas.  Or at least, I wouldn't. That was a little worrisome, but all I could do was rest and pray.

By Friday morning, the body aches were gone and despite some congestion, I was not a sniffly, sneezy mess.  As a result, and because I figured it would be a short day since we usually get out early before holidays, I decided to go into work so I could take care of a few things that needed wrapping up before Christmas.  I still didn't want to spread germs, but I figured that with a lot of handwashing and staying in my cube as much as possible, I could manage.  I was thrilled with what I was able to get done, and I didn't feel too bad while I was there.  After work I had to venture to Wegmans, which was pretty crazy but not as bad as I thought.  I also had a couple more gifts to get so I did that running around, too.  I did a rotisserie chicken for dinner, whipped up the dough for cinnamon rolls the next morning, did a little more packing, and finished my last batch of wrapping. 

Eventually everything was done and Santa came!

I took one last moment to admire my mantel, with the soft garland I searched high and low for, my grandma's nativity scene, glass pieces from both grandmas, and a couple of my own things.  Oh, and that green candle holder on the left came from a tacky gift party, and I still love it!

I had a couple minutes to sit and appreciate my hard work before I had to get to bed because we had a couple long days ahead!  Stay tuned...

No comments: