Saturday, December 31, 2016

Farewell, 2016...

It's the last half hour of 2016.  I don't quite know what to say about this year.  Of course, I'm still sick so pardon me if I don't wax poetic about this year.  As everyone knows, we lost a ton of celebrities this year, and the constant stream of terror attacks made this year a tough one.  Then we topped it off with a Trump win and we're all sitting on the edge of our seats as we approach a new year with a wild card big mouth poised to become our sitting president.  So...not the best year universally.

Personally it wasn't the best either.  We've been in a constant state of frustration with Jacob's behavior, and Carter's relatively newfound participation in the ridiculousness.  My family went through three funerals.  Jacob had major surgery and started on the medication journey.  We had a variety of random health stuff and a couple annoying house things.  Maybe it's just me, but not a whole lot of good jumps out.  We had fleeting moments, I guess, but most of them were firmly within a more challenging context.  I know that in the grand scheme of things, we are blessed, but it's really tough to feel upbeat most of the time.  So many people suffer around us, and in many cases our problems pale in comparison, but that doesn't change that what we're going through is tough.  And I definitely wish that a flip of the calendar would change everything.  But I know that's not the case.  Not for us and not for anyone else. 

We're blessed to be here, to have an almost intact extended family, jobs, a house, two functioning cars, a savings account and enough money to do many of the things we want to do.  We have two kids, that while they make us crazy, are here in the flesh.  My biggest first-world, nagging issue at the moment is that we have too much stuff.  But I'm tired and sad and wishing desperately that I could snap my fingers and make things better for Jacob--and in turn, the rest of us. 

But like it or not, here we go...onward to 2017...

No comments: