Tuesday, September 6, 2016

News & Notes, When It Rains, It Pours Edition

Soooo...it's been a bit of a rough week and it's barely mid-week.  It actually all started last Friday, when I decided that I needed to take Carter in for bloodwork to check him for Celiac.  He'd been complaining about his belly for about a week.  It didn't seem like it was in a lot of pain, but he indicated that he felt full a lot and said it felt bad.  When it kept happening all week, I decided it was worth checking.  So when I got out of work early before the long weekend, I picked up Carter, picked up the paperwork, and took him to get poked.  He didn't enjoy it but he mostly just said, "Owww," and whimpered a bit.  He didn't cry, and I was proud of him for being a tough guy.  We're still waiting for the results.  He hasn't complained as much the last couple days, but we'll see what they say.

We went to Buffalo for Craig's dad's birthday on Saturday.  It was a nice day and as a whole the boys were pretty decent.  We came back Sunday afternoon and had a pretty low key day.  Monday morning started out pretty horribly with some bad news from my side of the family (more in a bit) and then Jacob had a really, really bad outburst.  Like, bad enough we each recorded bits of it to show our therapist.  It really seems to be some sort of panic attack or anxiety attack because it's clear he loses all control when it's happening, and then can be totally fine later.  In fact, by the evening Jacob and I had a delightful trip to Target to finish his school shopping, and you'd never know he'd said a ton of horrible things to me earlier in the day.  We have such a long road ahead and he's still extremely resistant to any sort of help.

This morning I was supposed to be home with him before handing him off to Craig for the afternoon and heading into work.  I woke up to the news that my uncle, my mom's oldest brother and my godfather, had passed away.  He has been suffering from dementia for a number of years now--he started far too young--and a brain bleed put him in the hospital the other day.  It was only a matter of time, and he passed late last night.  It's sad, although the version of him that we all knew and loved disappeared a while ago.  I hadn't seen him in years, actually, because kids tended to agitate him and it was hard to be in town without my kids to manage.  Not that he'd have recognized me anyway by that point.  His quality of life was low, and the family was rapidly approaching making some tough decisions, so this is probably a blessing.  I will always remember his jolly but tough nature, his tendency to throw people in Grandma's pool, his love of food, his long service as a firefighter, fun summer days on his boat, the dog he bought for my cousin that turned into his next "child", his amazing Christmas decorations, and the fact that he took me to the last Sabres' game in the Aud as my high school graduation gift--which is the greatest gift he could have ever given me, as those moments will live with me forever. 

So, just when I thought that was going to complicate a busy week even further, Craig called and said he was going to the ER to get himself checked out.  Over the past couple weeks he's been having chest pains and burning.  When it evolved into a headache and nausea overnight--which was reminiscent of symptoms his cousin's 40-something husband had before he died in his sleep--Craig decided it was time to get it checked.  But unfortunately, since he'd already complained of chest pains and his doctor recommended going to the ER for a full workup, that was his only option.  So after a morning with Jacob, I stopped into work to check in, do a couple things, and pick up my computer, then headed back home to stay with Jacob and work from home.  He went to the hospital.  He had a bunch of tests, but it appears it may be GI related, as his heart testing was all normal.  It was nervewracking and there is still work to be done, but we're thankful it seems minor right now.  Follow-ups soon, though.

Speaking of GI issues, I have an endoscopy next Wednesday to check into my reflux issues.  There's a small chance that it could be gluten-related, even though my bloodwork is negative, but I'm thinking it has more to do with sitting at a desk all day and slumping in a chair at night.  It was better this weekend despite eating plenty that could have made it worse.  I've been wanting to go to the chiropractor for my taste/smell issues for a while, but now I'm thinking maybe that would help reflux, too.  After all, Craig's cousin's son was having issues moving his bowels, and after countless tests, it turned out that getting adjusted regulated his body naturally.  Why couldn't it impact reflux?  So we're both a mess, I guess!

Tomorrow is the first day of school and Jacob is going in blind--no chance to see his room or meet his teacher--so it should be an interesting day by the time he gets picked up for his therapy appointment.  Third grade may be a whole new ballgame in a new school, with ELA testing to prepare for, and potentially more work.  He hasn't really been challenged with projects or anything like that yet, and third grade is when I remember getting work like that, so I guess we'll see.  Amazing to think that in two years Carter will be heading off to Kindergarten (and Jacob to his last year of elementary school).  I know that will be here before we know it.  Heck, four years ago today I posted this post, and it's amazing to think it's been that long...even though we've lived a lifetime of stuff since then.

I'm sure I'll have more to report within the next couple days, so stay tuned...

No comments: