Monday, November 16, 2015

Weekend Wrap-Up

Alas, no pictures from this weekend...soon, I promise.  I feel like I fail myself and my kids every time we get through a weekend (or worse) and I haven't taken any pictures.  I suppose it's less vital now that the kids don't change so much from week to week, but it does bum me out a bit because they'll never be this age again.  But maybe I earned a free pass after my videos from last week :)

We had a busy weekend, as usual.  Friday night we went out to dinner to one of our new standbys, Five Guys.  They're really good with the gluten-free thing.  It's not cheap, but it's good and relatively quick.  It was a little hectic between the kids and their various issues, but it's nice when I don't have to think about dinner!  Craig and I did movie night (Pitch Perfect 2, not as good as the original, but not as bad as my parents said!) after the kids went to bed.

Saturday morning I had plans to do a number of things--take my car for an oil change, stop at a giant church garage sale, and run to Wegmans.  I got a bit sidetracked by a random reorganization project.  I've been looking for something in and around our linen closet for a while, and for some reason I got sucked into changing things around.  I moved my crates of bedding on the floor instead of the top shelf, and organized some random toiletries.  Then I took on our crazy supply of bags--backpacks, old purses, fabric shopping bags, small tote bags, travel bags--and set aside a half dozen to donate, a duffle bag full of beat-up ones to toss out, and a couple other bags of bags to keep around.  After running around and organizing all of that, suddenly I was exhausted.  We dropped off my car, came back for some lunch, and then Carter went down for a nap.  A couple hours later we were heading out the door for Jacob's first lacrosse game of the season!

I was intrigued by this season because Jacob's team lost almost all of their players from last year.  They all moved up to the next level.  The bad news is that there were some really talented players in that group and the team that only lost once in the two years Jacob has been on it was not going to be the same.  The good news was that Jacob was one of the oldest players, and after an offseason of camps and lots of practicing around the house, he's actually gotten pretty good.  We knew he'd be one of the main contributors, but without game action we weren't sure how things would actually play out.  The game got started and the other team went out to a quick 1-0 lead.  However, a couple minutes later, Jacob got a nice pass, ran in on goal, and scored!  After goals being so elusive for the last two years, seeing him get one so quickly was wonderful!

Unfortunately, that was his team's offense for the day and they lost 6-1.  He got plenty of action but his teammates are inexperienced and he wasn't listening to his coach as much as he should have (shocking!).  The other team was almost all second graders with previous experience, whereas Jacob's team had only four kids with any experience, so it's no wonder it was a tough game.  We've spent a lot of time since talking to him about what he needs to do next game.  He's got a lot of his own ideas, so we're trying to rein them in and remind him how he needs to listen to his coach during the game.  It's going to take some time for his team to get it together, and in the meantime he'll probably get an education on losing gracefully.  This time the first thing he did was blame the refs!  We definitely need to work on that. 

We ran home, ate some dinner, and I caught up on the packing I should have done earlier in the day but felt too tired and blah to do.  We got in the car and headed to Buffalo to spend Sunday with Craig's family.  First we went to see our nephews play hockey.  The boys mostly ran around like maniacs in the lobby, though I thought it was sweet that our 13-year-old nephew got ministicks for the kids in the store and played with them.  Too cute.  After that we grabbed lunch, stopped to pick up a couple things, and spent the rest of the day eating and watching football to celebrate our sister-in-law's birthday!  We ate way too much and headed home late (we stuck around to see the torturous end of the Giants-Patriots game).  The kids went right to bed.  Oh, and right before we got home I accidentally ran over a freshly dead skunk on the road (traffic to the left of me, so I couldn't swerve), and instantly the car stunk.  Not that I could smell it, of course, but Craig was miserable about it.  We had to stop at Wegmans to get milk, and I guess the smell was overpowering outside the car (and not great in).  Oops.

We all woke up this morning feeling less than great.  Craig's, Jacob's, and my stomach were all off.  Jacob was bargaining harder than usual to stay home, but because he does this all the time, clearly we couldn't let him stay.  He missed his bus, though, and we still had to go pick up my car at the mechanic after its oil change on Saturday.  Plus Craig was going for a car wash, so it was a crazy morning.  Due to time constraints he ended up dropping off both kids and I guess Carter had a rough drop-off.  He slept well but didn't have a nap yesterday, so apparently he was still off.  And right before noon Craig called me to say that the nurse called and Jacob had a low-grade fever.  Oh, Monday. 

I picked up Jacob and worked from home this afternoon.  Other than the fever he actually seemed fine.  He was a little cautious with eating, but stomachaches aren't exactly rare for him so it's hard to know what's going on.  Maybe he was glutened yesterday, maybe he ate too much junk like Craig and me, or maybe he's just generally off.  It's so hard to know.  It didn't seem to bother him that much, though, and by tonight his temperature seemed normal.  Nothing like starting the week off a little crazy, though!

So now we have one relatively calm week before the storm, with Thanksgiving next week and the Christmas season beyond.  I can hardly believe it.  Part of me is excited, part of me is completely overwhelmed at the thought of decorating, shopping, baking, and partying (and wrapping and packing and eating and not sleeping...).  Breathe... 

No comments: