Thursday, November 12, 2015

Video Thursday with Carter

I don't prefer to use my iPod to take pictures and video, but sometimes you have to seize the moment and use what you have available, just so you can preserve the memory.  So pardon the quality and just enjoy the view...

I've been meaning to get video of this for ages, and finally did it Friday night.  We do this thing, and somehow the kids started calling it "monkey bike".  I'm not sure how that happened, maybe one of the kids mangled some phrase and that's how it came out.  But basically, it's like a "Superman" move where I lay on my back and put my feet in the air, and the kids lay their belly on my feet and I hoist them into the air, ideally with their arms and legs extended like Superman.  Jacob's getting pretty heavy, though I can still do it with him!  Carter hasn't really gotten the Superman pose down, and he's so squirmy that I have to hold his hands, but his laughs are contagious, particularly when my toes tickle his armpits!  This video's a little crazy, but seasickness aside, it's worth it for the laughs...




Then, Monday night, he started singing the ABC's with a microphone that came with a guitar Jacob got for his third birthday.  He sings the song a lot, and it's too cute.  I couldn't pass this up.  So after he did it once, I got him to do it again so I could record it.  This kid cracks me up.


I can't even tell you what a joy this kid is to have around the house.  He is full of hugs and declarations of "I love you!".  He's such a fun little buddy most of the time.  Even when he's being naughty, he still manages to rebound nicely.  Lately he's been throwing his stuffed animals out of his crib when he's put in there during a tantrum (I know, not ideal, but that's how it worked out and it hasn't harmed his sleeping environment at all), and when he chills out and is back on the floor, he willingly puts them back in.  Tuesday he was having a rough morning and had a tantrum during breakfast.  He dumped his food on the table (he sits in his high chair still, but now uses the table rather than the tray), so I put the tray back on because he showed that he couldn't eat like a big boy.  When he threw Chex on the floor, I then turned him around in his chair since that's what happens when he throws food on the floor.  When he seemed to calm down, I gave him some pieces of apple (leftover from packing Jacob's lunch) to prove that he could eat like a big boy, and he threw those on the floor!  I was furious and put him in his room for a bit.  When he calmed down and I went to get him, he first cheerfully picked up all of the animals he threw out and then went down and cleaned up all of the apples off the floor (by eating them...oops) and then climbed in his chair unprompted and cleaned up the pile of cereal on the table, too.  He's still two so he has a lot of frustrating moments, but he has a sensible, sweet side, too, which is honestly not something that Jacob ever seemed to possess at that age.  He is more likely to be willing to listen and be agreeable to things.  Yes, he can be opinionated and stubborn, too, but what a joy he can be most of the time.  I am savoring every moment of his childhood as much as I can, because I know soon enough he'll be too cool for hugs and kisses and "monkey bike".  If only I could freeze these moments and thaw them out someday when he's grown and I need an extra hug...

No comments: