Friday, December 28, 2007

The Basics...

I figured I should get some answers to some common questions out of the way with this post. So here goes...

The baby's due date is June 30, 2008. It's two days after our 5th anniversary and a few days before my cousin's baby's first birthday, so hopefully we can work around those dates and the 4th of July. The date would work out nicely though, because it'll fall right in line with our niece and nephews' birthdays. Follow the pattern: Late May...Mid June...________...Mid July...and what would fill in the blank nicely? Yup, late June. So we'll keep our fingers crossed. Craig's poor parents have so many birthdays to deal with already, so what's one more?

We don't know what the baby is yet, and my goal is to not find out. Craig wants to know, but having one of us know and one of us not seems like a recipe for disaster, so I'm hoping to win that battle, at least for baby #1. Any subsequent pregnancies I'll probably be up for knowing, though maybe we just won't tell anyone else! ;-)

We've known about the baby since mid-November. We had been pondering trying since the summer, but my body didn't appear to be cooperating so we didn't really get to officially "try" too much. In mid-October I went to the doctor to make sure things were ok, and they were, but despite a negative pregnancy test at that time, it appears I was probably freshly pregnant at that point. However, we were clueless until mid-November. My body still didn't appear to be cooperating so I was going to call the doctor again, but I wanted to take a pregnancy test before I did so I could confidently answer, "No," when they asked, "Are you sure you're not pregnant?" Imagine my surprise when it came back positive! Of course, based on the negative pregnancy test in mid-October (and using some other circumstantial evidence), we had pinpointed the end of October as the approximate time of conception. As such we didn't tell anyone at Thanksgiving because we thought it was a little early (this being the first time through, caution seemed wise). However, in early December we found out we were further along than we thought. The only problem was that we were going to Florida for a week and we wouldn't have a chance to see anyone in person until Christmas. So, as much as it killed us, we kept quiet for a couple more weeks, I endured life without thrill rides during a week at Disney, and we finally spilled the beans at Christmas. Ahhhhh.

Things have been fairly smooth so far. No actual morning sickness, but I started out really tired, had a month of the blahs (borderline nausea), and now I'm back to being tired. All things considered I know I'm lucky. Now we're just praying for a nice, normal final six months...and a healthy baby beyond that, of course. I'm not showing yet or anything, though I can't seem to suck in my stomach much anymore...not sure if that's got anything to do with the baby or just that I've been a little lax with the workouts and diet lately. But eh, it's the holidays...everyone puts on weight, so I fit right in!

Well, I think that's it for now...stay tuned for some random musings about life as a pregnant chick...

No comments: