Saturday, February 15, 2025

Twelve!

Dear Carter,

I simply can't believe we're here again.  I still so vividly remember being pregnant with you, barely able to move.  I blinked and you were here, this tiny little peanut I could hold for hours.  I blinked again and you were a super smiley toddler who brought joy to everyone around him.  Then, poof, you hit elementary school and admittedly the wheels fell off a bit.  School was a challenge, the pandemic hit, and things got really hard.  But then we figured you out and you've been full speed ever since--rocking middle school and nearly catching up to me in height.  My sweet baby is growing up so fast.  

This was an interesting year, for sure.  You did an amazing job finishing off your elementary school career, complete with amazing awards and a wonderful report card.  You kept that momentum up right through middle school, too.  I was worried about lockers and the wacky schedule, and how you'd balance chorus and orchestra, and you've done amazing.  Yes, your school bag weighs about 30 pounds so I suspect we should be utilizing that locker a little better overnight, but I'm so proud of how you've rocked it so far--that high 90s average is amazing and your teachers really seem to like you.  I'm wowed by how well you settled in to all of it.

Baseball was a fun development this year.  It really started the year before, but this was the year you really gave it a go.  It was fun to see you get into something so strongly, to be excited to go out and hit balls, and I loved watching you out on the field, especially at first base.  Baseball also gave you something to bond over with your brother, which was helpful and offset a few of the less-great moments like that darned concussion you gave him.  Ugh.  I get it--I was the younger sibling and sometimes it's all hands on deck when you're battling, but I hope someday you two can actually function without the battles.  We've come SO far over these past few years, and I hope eventually it all comes together for you two.

Our adventures maybe felt a bit less this year.  Now that playgrounds are out of the picture, it's a bit harder to find opportunities to go out together.  Sometimes I don't want to fight the screen battle, as much as I should, because some days it's so hard to pull you away and I'm bummed I have to fight that hard.  But we did get in some amusement parks and a few local things, and I had a blast.  I hope you did too.

As it is now apparently tradition, here's a compilation of our selfies from this year, each one a fun little memory or moment that I wanted to remember with you.  




















This year brought on a new level of seeing your personality develop.  I know we still give you a lot of grief over your screen time (as well we should), but you've had some moments this year that give us hope and excitement for the big kid you'll be.  Watching you try to perfect your magic tricks (and perform them on Christmas even!) has been so entertaining.  We've seen this funny sense of humor emerge--sometimes a little too cheesy for my taste (and our tastes in YouTube videos are definitely miles apart), but Dad has loved the funny pictures and graphics you message him and sometimes your humor hits so perfectly.  You definitely have a quick wit and want to entertain as much as you can.

Your world of stuffed animals has brought us a lot of joy (and snuggles) this year.  You've always had a lot of company in bed, but just when we thought the stuffed animal zoo around this house was easing off, we somehow ended up with a few more, and you essentially became the ringleader/dad/voice of them all to keep us entertained.  It's been pretty funny to watch you act out their antics.  And yes, I can always use a chubby moose hug.  And you are still generous with the hugs yourself, and often ask how my day has gone.  You know when I'm sad and always want to help and give me a hug.  You have such a sweet heart and I hope you never lose that.  I see flashes of the teenage attitude sometimes and get a little nervous, but I hope you keep a bit of balance and don't totally shun your poor mother who has loved being your adventure buddy all this time.  Sometimes I see moms and teenage sons doing fun things together and hope that can be us for years to come.  I still have some amusement parks I want to hit up if our travels allow, so fingers crossed we can have another fun summer! 

As you hit twelve, I know the year ahead is going to be a big one of changes.  Based on your brother, you're going to evolve from cute older boy to being on the verge of a handsome young man by your next birthday.  The changes in Jacob from 12 to 13 were striking and I know you'll be similar.  You may be a couple inches behind him at this age, but you're now only a couple inches behind me, so at least you'll be passing me in no time!  I won't know what to do when my hug comes from above!

I know this birthday hits a little different with Dad on the road, your gifts arriving later in the day (but at least they got here!), and having to sit through Jacob's game, but I hope it was a good day nonetheless!  And at least we got to celebrate you already last week--that was fun having everyone here, and your cake was pretty cool.  Birthdays definitely get different as you get older, but I hope this one made you as happy as you make us every single day.  You've brought such joy into our lives from day one, and it's hard to believe we've had 12 full years of it!  Happy Birthday Carter!  We love you so much!

Love, 
Mom


No comments: