The last day was definitely a little sad. It was odd knowing that Craig was staying another day and a lot of other people had three more full days. Part of me was jealous, but it was nice to know we had an exciting weekend ahead, so the letdown wouldn't be as bad. But still, I had never been anywhere this exotic and it was a little sad to cut it short.
I did manage to get myself up a little earlier than usual that morning. I made sure to take a picture of my room slippers, which were part of the room amenities. They were pretty flimsy so I figured they were disposable and we were free to take them home, but I left them until Craig confirmed with our butler, and he brought them home for me. Did I mention we had a butler? He was assigned to us the whole time and I figure it's got to be a tough job because you're seemingly always on call. Ours was a very sweet Creole man named Junior. He was so friendly and just periodically popped up to say hi. We've decided you probably only get to be a butler (to Americans, anyway) if you have a very good grasp of the English language. We had a few language challenges during the week, mostly with waitstaff and one hostess. It's funny, because when I was in Montreal, I remember people greeting me with both a "bonjour" and "hello", and my understanding was that the way I responded would indicate what language they'd speak to me. But on this trip I felt like I should be saying "Hola" or answer back in whatever Spanish I could remember (which sadly isn't a lot), just to be polite. I have to say, I could probably read labels and signs better than I expected, and any Spanish labels (namely my morning yogurt) were some of the few reminders we were in another country. Anyway, butlers needed to answer a lot of questions so I think good language skills were extra important, and that's probably one of the main things that separated them from the rest of the wait staff. They were all mostly very friendly when the language issue wasn't making things difficult. We didn't use our butler much--mostly to track down our tardy luggage the first day, our delayed room service before Coco Bongo, and a couple other random questions. Normally they make reservations if you need them, but I can only imagine what some people ask of them. Anyway, the slippers...
| Ocean in the distance in one direction... |
| ...crazy palm tree in the other |
We decided to go to a nice breakfast that morning. Before we went we stopped in the excursion office. I had originally booked my airport shuttle, but I had found out two other wives (who also happen to be sisters-in-law) had a flight leaving 15 minutes before mine and I preferred to ride with them for safety reasons. I can't exactly remember now but I think we actually had to stop in twice--once to add them to my shuttle and then again to just cancel mine because it turned out they booked a cab and were leaving extra early. But at least since they knew I had paid for mine already they didn't make me pay, and it was good to have other people to go with. Even with the two of them the one said she felt that much better with three. The process was a little confusing but all worked out in the end...enough, anyway.
| My handsome date |
We should have done this more because the spread was amazing. This came out as an automatic appetizer:
Well, the mimosa was separate, but there was a full plate of fruit and this amazing shelf of goodies. There were two croissants, two rolls, one cinnamon roll, one giant cupcake, and every spread you could want--butter pats in the little crock, and all tiny jars of jellies, peanut butter, and hazelnut spread. It was so cool, and of course I brought the cupcake with me for dessert.
It looks pretty nice, but the airport was so warm. They apparently don't use (much) air conditioning in this part of the terminal either. It was more enclosed than baggage claim and was maybe a little cooler than outside, but they mostly rely on giant fans to keep the air moving. It was very warm and that was the start of a few sweaty hours.
| One of the tarmac buses |
My seat, however, was not good. I finally had a window seat, which was nice, but my seatmate and I noticed that the control panel for the armrest electronics was popped out, and sure enough, the headphone jack didn't work. Which meant that my in-seat screen was mostly useless. For a three-plus hour flight. Greaaaat. Not only that, but the WiFi wouldn't work either (my seatmate was trying without luck as well), and after this pleasant view upon takeoff, all I looked at for about three hours was the ocean. Darn it. Not sure what I was thinking...I definitely should have picked better. Maybe the other side would have had a shot at coast views sometimes. This was pretty, though.
The ocean was mostly visible the entire trip. There were points of thin clouds where I wasn't sure, but usually I could see ripples eventually. The clouds were mostly typical, nothing too exciting, but at one point I did look out and see this pretty rainbow in the middle of it all.
I'm not even really sure what I did to kill time. I looked out the window but it was so bright I kept it closed a lot of the time. I listened to music. I played a few phone games. I waited for the right moment to get up and use the bathroom (once my two seatmates were already up). I had a plane snack. I tried to nap, with no luck, probably because I was masked and my ears hurt. I guess I mostly watched the map view on my screen. It was long, but I guess a little peace wasn't the worst thing. But I was beyond happy to see Long Island come into view. The view of New York City was a bit smoggy, but if you look close you can see it in the distance.
Once we landed I surprised to find we were back to bus life to get to the terminal, and I got stuck waiting for the second one. Once we got to the terminal we had to go through immigration, which was a wait but the process was quick and easy. Much to my dismay, once I got through I followed the only signs that made sense and came to the realization that I had to go through security again. Darn it. I did get a glimpse of the super cool, architecturally famous TWA terminal across the street. Had I had more time and fully processed the idea that I had to go back through security anyway so I was free to go, I might have wandered over there for a few minutes. I have long wanted to see it.
But I was flustered and annoyed and my mom happened to call at that moment, as well, so I just went through the motions and got in line. It was a pretty long, crowded wait. As I got to the scanners, I realized in horror that because I had to go through security again, Carter's Country Club soda was a goner. I was so sad...and annoyed. But that was only the beginning.
As we flew, the pilot announced we had to fly around some thunderstorms near Rochester. Our original route looked like we'd come in south of the city. I never get to see the city or the University of Rochester campus, and it looked like this would be no different. But with the storms, I wondered if that could change things. We flew over Binghamton, which was fun because I got to message Heather in flight. As we got into the Finger Lakes, suddenly I saw quite the flash out light outside my window--lightning! I wish I could have gotten that on video, but alas, this was the best I could get:
It was a good show the rest of the way in, although a bit unnerving. I recognized when we flew over Irondequoit Bay, and to my delight, we did fly in past the city. My pictures didn't turn out, but it was cool to see all the city lights and colored LED-lit buildings. Bonus points that we also flew past U of R so I could see the Rush Rhees dome as well! Better in daylight, but this was cool too. I landed right around 11:30 and immediately called my mom. I got off the plane pretty quickly, more relieved to be home than I might have expected. I walked through a mostly quiet terminal, although another flight landed right around when ours did and was emptying into the terminal at the same time. I came down to a busy luggage claim (yay for carry-ons) and walked out to a very warm night. Did I mention it had been as warm, if not warmer, at home? They'd had hot, humid weather in the 90s most of the week. Crazy to think we were that close to the equator and yet it was hotter at home!
Much to my surprise, the pickup area was a complete traffic jam! At 11:30? In Rochester? What the heck? I had called my mom to tell her what number pillar I was standing near, but in the end I called back to ask her what she was near, and I walked to her. I loaded up right in the middle of the traffic gridlock, and off we went. Jacob had come with her. We had a nice chat on the ride home, and then of course Jacob was talking my ear off once we got back. It was sweet, I guess. He said later that I seemed very relaxed on the way home. We were awake long enough to wish him a happy birthday! How do I have a sixteen-year-old? (Speaking of which, in all the rush, I haven't done a birthday letter. Oops, coming soon, I guess!) I headed to bed on the basement couch, since my parents were still sleeping in my bed.
It was a whirlwind, but I made it home. Now to settle back in, get Craig home, and get ready for the next adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment