Tuesday, August 14, 2012

One of those moments...

So last night while we were getting ready for bed, Jacob started yammering on about wanting to snuggle with me.  Usually he likes nothing more than snuggling with Daddy.  Those boys will make up any excuse to have a "slumber party".  It's not that I don't like snuggling with Jacob--in theory, I would--but he kicks and flails and flips so it's hard to sleep anywhere near him.  Craig sleeps deeper than I do, so he often takes one for the team when the opportunity arises because he gets at least some sleep, whereas I get none.  But someday, if Jacob ever flails less, I'd love to catch a weekend nap on the couch with him.  Anyway, as much as he enjoys snoozing with Daddy, lately he's been talking about sleeping with me (and yes, I cringe a bit when he uses that phrasing, but he's obviously talking innocently here so I'm not going to overthink it).  I keep telling him that when he's older and he doesn't kick me in his sleep, we can snuggle like he does with Daddy. 

Once he got through saying that, he referred to himself as my boyfriend, and yes...the moment every mom waits for...he said he wanted to marry me.  Awwww.  I tried to explain to him that I can't marry him because I was already married to Daddy, but he saw nothing wrong with me having two boyfriends.  Hmmm.  We'll have to work on that.  But it was a sweet sentiment nonetheless.

It's one of those moments that every mom talks about, but to be honest I don't think I ever thought I'd hear it from Jacob.  He's just not mushy like that.  Getting an "I love you" from him is almost impossible, no matter how many times a day we tell him that we love him.  Getting real hugs from him is sometimes a challenge as he often doesn't stand still long enough, but in the past few days it seems like he's been a little more loving.  In the midst of the marriage conversation he was giving me the best hugs ever, and he's been more willing to snuggle here and there.  Maybe he's turning over a new leaf...

...Or maybe not, since five minutes later he was telling me he didn't like me because I had to raise my voice and tell him for the 20th time to get out of his soccer clothes and get into his pajamas.  He did take it back when I called him on it and reminded him that he wanted to marry me a couple minutes earlier, but he probably just wanted his bedtime stories.  But at least for one split second he liked me...he really liked me!

No comments: