So, before my last post it had been nearly two weeks since I posted. It's been a blend of nothing notable and yet feeling rather busy. Two nights a week of soccer and busy work days will do that, I guess. When we're not at soccer we're doing late dinners after practice or I'm stuck with a grocery run and squeezing in a quick workout. Jacob is slowly getting better but still taking it one day at a time to recover from a sore knee. Carter's soccer season is now over but we're plotting his next steps. Craig still has his college league and I'm still crazy busy at work with no end in sight.
Last Wednesday, on the heels of my dead car battery debacle, I ended up in car trouble again. On the way to Carter's soccer game, I accidentally hit a rather large rock in the road. I only saw it at the last second because it was road-colored, and I just couldn't quite avoid it. I forgot to check my tire before we left the game, but as I started driving I could tell something wasn't right and I pulled off maybe a quarter mile up the road at the school that's home to Carter's favorite playground. I called AAA, again, and luckily they were super fast and were able to get my spare up and running. We were back on the road within about a half hour. Thankfully, Carter and I were still able to do our post-game dinner date--first trip to the Tom Wahl's that took over our beloved Carmine's. The best part (ha) was that I was already planning to get new tires the following day when my car was scheduled for an oil change. So, the timing almost literally couldn't have been better. Little things, folks.
Speaking of little things, my flowers and garden were once my haven for little joys during the pandemic. This year has been...challenging. Things are growing, I guess, but it's been one frustration after another. My seeds wouldn't grow, and what little did got eaten. New stuff has taken extra long. Some of my flowers are thriving, but others are slow, getting eaten, aren't getting enough sun, or are getting too much water. A couple things have randomly died off, other things continue to be deer snacks, and my garden has just started to produce a few things. My first cuke happened to be growing around the fencing, and something ate off the end before I even knew it was there. I saved my burning bushes from aphids only to have one being decimated by spider mites. Some of it is lovely and I'm trying to enjoy what I have, but it's not quite the joy it was a few years ago when I had zinnias coming out my ears, and I'm starting to doubt my skills. My hydrangea may have been a victim of the late frost, but it's still putting out beauties like this, so there's that.
Oh, and our pool has been sort of chilly for a good chunk of the year and every time we're in there the heated pool basketball games make me nuts. Our rafts blow out almost every other day right now with the random thunderstorms we've had going on for a couple weeks. But at least it's been mostly clear--or quick to clear when it's not. I'll call that a win.
| Last night ice cream...yum! |
Now we're pondering how we're going to proceed. In my laziness/busyness/overwhelm, we missed most of the soccer camps this summer, but we did manage to schedule him for one this coming week. Hopefully that gives him a chance to work on his skills and learn from someone new (hopefully someone who knows how to teach, more than his soccer dad coaches have). Any further soccer will be at the 13U level, which is a little scary given the height differential around this age group. We saw what we think was a 13U game last weekend, and some of the kids were a head taller, while some still looked so tiny. He could play this fall to get a preview with a shorter schedule. However, he also expressed interest in trying baseball. But those two things would definitely overlap, so now we're considering an August baseball sandlot session. It would only be about $60 and he might miss the last week when we go to Florida, but for the relatively small investment, quick duration, and the chance to see how he compares to other kids since he has zero playing experience, it might be worth doing just to find out if he could play next year, without ruining the chance to find out if 13U soccer will be a reasonable option next year. Who knew Carter might be the busier kid for a change?
The new rebar rainbow is so fun and colorful. But it's sort of hard to photograph, so here are three attempts!
This one was interesting. Of note is that there's only one spot where you can see through to the other side.
This one was bringing some diversity to the works in the park since it was pretty white-male dominated. I know I saw a sculpture by the same artist somewhere else, but I can't remember where...but they are distinctive, for sure. My favorite part is that the flame on the torch is shiny and reflective, unlike the rest of the sculpture.
The fanciest piece is this one, creating a built-in "audience" for the performing students at the School of the Arts next door.
Hard to tell until you get up close, but it's all mosaic!
Around the back, they get torsos!
This piece was like ceramic pottery and is hollow but heavy. It's so tall, too.
This was a random statue that's sort of trying to make light of a Rodin piece of John the Baptist. We were talking about interacting with the art so I couldn't help but do this!
Thursday was my work outing to the Red Wings game. It was supposed to be just Craig and me since the kids complain about everything--Carter gets impatient when adults talk, and Jacob just gets to the point of wanting to move on after a couple hours. So I planned on not taking them since it's a work event and the expectation is to mingle with colleagues before going off to enjoy the game. But with them both home they were a bit annoyed they couldn't go, so I had to claim some of the extra tickets and bring them along. It turned out pretty okay, although they only hung out through lunch and then the three guys headed out into the stadium while I chatted. Oh, well. It was a nice day and a fun event. And it was a super early game so we wrapped up the day with some time in the pool.
No comments:
Post a Comment