Monday, August 7, 2017

End of an Era

Yesterday was the end of an era.  I shut down my old netbook for the last time, with no real intention of turning it back on again.  I got it in January 2011, so it survived 6-1/2 years.  It had screen issues for the last couple, but that computer and I had been through a lot!  It was my first-ever laptop, and I was so excited to get it at the time, right after we got WiFi in our house.  I loved my tiny little computer!  I probably had visions of whisking it off in my bag and holing up in a coffee shop somewhere, but in reality I probably only got to do that a couple times.  I did like that it was easy to throw in a bag, but the small screen size was always a bit of a challenge for certain tasks.  But I spent hours with that little computer, writing blog posts that span more than six years of parenthood.  That computer came to the hospital with me when Carter was born, came along on every vacation, and was my safe haven in the evenings to write through my thoughts.  Unfortunately, once the screen went on the fritz, it lost functionality for one of the things I used it for most--looking through all of my pictures.  Clearly I like to take pictures, and when it's hard to look at the pictures and see how they turned out, it gets a little frustrating.  So, after many months of frustration and a lot of looking around, I saw a deal I couldn't pass up, and here we are.  I'm typing this on a nice, big laptop with a gorgeous screen, plenty of memory, and a much faster processor than my old one.  It's heaven so far!  It took a bit to figure out how to transfer all of my files over--lots of music and tons of pictures--but one $12 32GB 3.0 USB flash drive and a handful of transfers later, we're all good!  It was a little sad to shut it down for the last time, but I'm thankful to have a new, functional computer to move forward with!

In other news, we had a pretty good weekend.  Carter and Craig started it early with a Carter-Daddy day on Friday.  Carter showed Craig the new playground we went to the previous weekend...

Seriously, how sweet is he here?
And Jacob was playing with Craig's phone after I finished the elliptical Friday night and took this one...

I guess now I know how I'd look bald :)
Saturday we went to Buffalo for another family reunion on my side.  Jacob was a little hesitant to go, but fortunately, my (third?) cousin was in town and had her step-kids there, including a boy who's just a little older than Jacob.  They had a blast together!  All things considered it was a good time and aside from me forgetting my purse and necessitating a 45 minute addition to the trip home, it wasn't a bad trip.  Sunday we went to church and then went to the park after lunch.  Carter and I started on the playground...

Top of the slide

Funny face is because he was making sound effects for his rocket...
Then we headed over to join Craig and Jacob on the baseball diamond.  Jacob started fall ball last week, a little bit of baseball after a summer off.  The weather has not been conducive, but he's been working hard to get his skills up to par.  Carter is still working on his stance.  He's not as much of a natural as his brother, but hopefully he'll get there by next year.



Touching home!
On the good news front, Jacob did make his travel lacrosse team for another year!  We're very excited for a new year of tournaments, starting with a couple this fall (one here, thankfully!).  There are a lot of returning players and a handful of new ones, but it looks like a good team.  Jacob is also switching up his indoor team for the winter, which was a tough decision but a good one in the long run, so it will be an interesting few months getting settled into new stuff on the lacrosse field.

Summer is flying by so fast and I can hardly believe we only have a few weeks left.  We have a few more things planned before we get back into school mode, but I always get to this point and panic that we haven't made the most of our time.  Hopefully by the time it's over I'll feel like we did all we could.  Stay tuned...

No comments: