Thursday, June 29, 2017

Back in Lacrosse Mode

We have a busy 11 days ahead of us.  Lacrosse tournament, 4th of July, mini-vacation, another lacrosse tournament.  It's going to be a lot and I have no idea how we're going to get through it all.  No rest for the weary, that's for sure.  I have no idea what we're doing for our mini-vacation, honestly, which is completely unlike me.  We're at the end of the fiscal year at work so that's been a little mentally exhausting, and I just haven't been taking care of myself very well physically, so that's really taking a toll as well.  I need more sleep, less food, and more exercise.  I have no idea how I'm going to survive the Corporate Challenge in less than two weeks.  I haven't been able to get in more than one run a week, and the elliptical helps but really isn't cutting it.  There just isn't time, not with Jacob having two practices a week that leave us eating dinner at 8pm, or the usual errand running, or simply trying to get ready for another trip.  And I didn't even go on last week's big trip to New Jersey!

Speaking of which, here are some pictures from that one...

It was a hot one!  Jacob has his cooling towel and is trying to relax after his first game.

Popsicles for everyone!

Listening intently...

This is why I'm allowing us to pay a ridiculous amount of money to be on this team.  The life lessons these kids are getting are priceless.

Team picture...Jacob is in blue on the far left - #8
They had a good time, but it wasn't without its share of drama, as is the usual with Jacob.  He ended up not even playing in the second game because he never told us his cleats were getting small, and he ended up with a blister.  They made it work for the third game after a little first aid, and then they went to Dick's that night and bought new ones.  He's eyeing them up constantly so it wasn't really that much of a snap decision.  He also outgrows them quickly, so even if he ends up not loving them, they won't be around for long.  The team went 3-2 and lost in the semis on the second day.  Most teams were older than them, anyway, so it was a good challenge.  They had a nice time with the team and the families, and loved their hotel room.  It was a long trip but they seemed to weather it well.

In the meantime, Carter and I were in Buffalo for my cousin's wedding.  I'm not going to post wedding pictures because it's not really my place, but suffice it to say she looked gorgeous, they were beyond adorable, and my family is a super fun group to hang out with.  Out of curiosity I looked back in the blog for when my other cousin, her sister, got married four years ago, to see if I posted pictures then.  I didn't, but I did write the following below, which ironically sort of sums up what I was rambling about in yesterday's post (which I finished writing while really tired, so I apologize if it made no sense):
"...Her wedding brought up some interesting emotions I didn't expect.  Ten years after my own, I guess I look at weddings a little differently than I used to.  First, as much as I know that the most significant part of the day is that a marriage is formed, I sort of see the day for what it is--a big party where the couple can have one of the best days of their life.  It's definitely the beginning of something, and it's full of so much hope and joy.  It's one day to live a fantasy.  And for that reason alone, I'm so happy for the couple when I go to a wedding.  It's such an amazing experience, and I remember that vividly from my own experience. 

"But what really struck me this time around was the vows.  When you get married and you say your vows, you never really think about the 'for better or for worse' part of them too deeply.  But here we are in the 'for worse' part.  It's such a contrast to that happy wedding day full of hope, and it's hard.  This experience is definitely trying, but with the exception of a few moments here and there, I think we're doing what we can to make sure that this marriage stays strong amidst the frustrations.  It's especially hard when our opinions on how to manage Jacob differ, or when it feels like our responsibilities aren't shared enough, or whatever.  The exhaustion can wear on you, for sure, and makes everything harder.  But seeing the newlyweds' joy reminded me how much I want to recapture that feeling, and was a good reminder that marriage and happiness are always things to fight for.  It all definitely makes me appreciate our journey that much more."
I wrote that pretty early on in our major challenges with Jacob, just a month or so after the worst began, and almost four years later it still holds true.  As far as the wedding, I felt much the same this time around, especially with it being so close to our actual anniversary, and in the same church where we got married. I think this time, however, I focused even more on how lucky they are to be at this stage in their lives, with everything ahead of them.  Allie just graduated from pharmacy school, Bobby is well-established in a great job, they already have a house, and they can really do whatever they want to do together as a couple.  And now that I'm an old married lady, I guess I can be both a little jealous of them and also thrilled that they get to experience that.  It's such a special, fleeting time.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the weekend...

Carter and cousin Kate waiting for the wedding ceremony to start--aside from a couple loud whispers, he did well!

I took this picture of Buffalo's City Hall rather stealth as I crossed the street (no cars, I swear), while walking from the parking ramp to the reception.  I didn't want to look too weird so I did it quickly as I walked!

Another quick but not-quite-as-stealth picture taken on the walk back to the parking ramp.  This is one of the two statues on top of the Liberty Building.
We finished off the weekend with a low-key but fun birthday party for another cousin's son, which made for good catch-up time after everyone's late night!  It was a fun but tiring weekend, but something tells me it's nothing compared to the next two!  Wish us luck!

No comments: