Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Busy Birthday!

So....Jacob is seven!  Hard to believe.  We ended up having a crazy busy weekend, and Saturday was no exception.  And really, things went very well!  Sunday turned out a bit different than planned, but I'll get to that in another post.  But first...the good stuff!

We decided to start the birthday celebration Friday night because we already knew Saturday would be crazy.  We went to Red Robin, Jacob's favorite, for his free birthday meal.  He enjoyed it as usual and was caught totally off-guard when the wait staff came out singing with his ice cream.  He was actually full and thinking he wouldn't be getting anything, but they never actually asked specifically when the time came, so suddenly there it was!

He ate a few bites before deciding he was too full.  The rest of us picked away at it a bit, but in the end I think we were all too full!  Darn you, bottomless fries!

Friday night after bedtime I whipped up a batch of gluten-free cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  I knew he'd be excited when I offered those up instead of cereal!  We got up the next morning, I wished him happy birthday, and made his morning with the cinnamon rolls!  After some getting ready for the day, we sat down to open presents!

He got a double DVD of Scooby-Doo movies, a couple sports shirts, a book on Pompeii that he really wanted from his book fair, a second Wii controller, a Toronto FC (soccer) shirt, and a Toronto Raptors basketball jersey.  He seemed very happy with his gifts!
Scooby!

Checking out his Pompeii book!


He insisted on a picture with the lacrosse ball, but knew he'd blink.  He's right!

His Toronto FC shirt

Raptors jersey!
Jacob had a game at noon, so we were off to the diamond shortly after.  My parents met us there to see Jacob play and spend the afternoon.  The weather was gorgeous and we had a good time!

First base coach Craig giving Jacob some pointers after his hit
We ate lunch at the field and as soon as we got home I put Carter down for a nap.  He needed it!  Meanwhile, Craig and I ran out to Lowe's to try to buy a new patio table (finally found one I liked) and my parents hung out with Jacob.  I still have to get the table together before the party on Saturday, but at least we have one and it fit in my car!

I failed to mention that I spent part of Saturday morning attempting to bake a gluten-free angel food cake.  Among the plethora of new gluten-free items at Aldi recently was a boxed angel food cake mix, which isn't something you see very often, if at all.  The recipe was very simple...just cake mix and eggs.  However, it took 12 egg whites, which meant I had to separate a dozen eggs!  Thank goodness for Tupperware egg separators, and thank goodness I found I had a second floating around in my box of extra utensils!  I was a little nervous, but it turned out great and we got to sing to Jacob while my parents were still in town.


The cake was really good, especially with a spoonful of strawberries on top!  Like most gluten-free baked goods, it was slightly different than the real thing, but surprisingly good!

We headed out after that to the Red Wings game for Little League night.  It took some convincing to get Jacob to want to go on his birthday, but in the end we had a great time.  We were a little nervous about the weather since it turned very quickly during the afternoon and rained for an hour or two, but it was a pleasant night despite the clouds.  It sprinkled a bit once, but our seats were under a cover, so we were fine.  We got to sit with his team, which was fun, and we stayed right through the fireworks.  It was a late night, but it was a really nice time.  Here are some highlights...
The boys on the field with Jacob's team

I got the best picture of Jacob here last year, and I like this one, too!

Carter was busy looking around and checking things out, but he did really well.  He loved carrying his little bat!

My boys...Carter refused to smile, but two out of three isn't bad!

It was Star Wars night, so there were some characters in the concourse.  This R2D2 was cool.  He actually moved around and made noises!  Carter was not a fan of Darth Vader.

It was also Zooperstars night.  They're one of my favorite baseball promotions ever.  They're inflatable characters that do silly skits and dances.  The costumes are rigged up with tricks like silly string, funny moving parts, and tricks like being able to "swallow" an entire person.  They're funny.  This is Tommy Laswordfish (get it, Tommy Lasorda, the great Dodgers manager...but it's a swordfish?) and Harry Canary (instead of the infamous Cubs announcer Harry Caray).

Craig got Jacob's birthday on the scoreboard!

Since it was Jacob's birthday and it's only a dollar, he got to do the speed pitch.  He was in the 25 mph range, I think.  Getting better!

Carter got to hit for the first time!  He made contact with the ball pretty good, but we definitely need to work on aim a bit :)

Fireworks were fun, and Carter deemed them "awesome".  He wasn't scared a bit.  Apparently Jacob got all of my firework phobia genes!  He's OK now, but we had a few rough years in there!


It was already a late night when we got home, but I still had work to do.  I had to bag up Father's Day gifts for Craig's dad and brother, as well as a DVD we got Craig for part of his Father's Day gift.  On top of that, I had to finish off Craig's big gift, which I had to do at the last minute.  I had to ban him from our basement bathroom, which he uses a lot of the time.  I had decided a while ago to redecorate the bathroom a bit.  Previously it just had one picture on the wall--one of my favorite IKEA posters of Gerber daisies.  It matched the yellow countertop and didn't really have anywhere else to go, so it ended up there.  But over the years it has become Craig's spot, so I wanted it to reflect that.  On our trip to Toronto last month I bought a bunch of frames, then printed off a number of pictures from our various baseball trips over the years.  I replaced the poster with a poster of Craig's that we unearthed a while back and meant to hang in the office when we got a picture wall going in there.  Turns out it was the perfect centerpiece for this project instead!  In the end I think it turned out really cool.  I definitely like using that bathroom more now!
The toilet is off to the left, below the two blue frames. 

This is looking to the right, across from the toilet. 
Craig got to see it Sunday morning, and then he got the rest of his gifts after church.  Jacob gave him a cool pen that he wrapped clay around.  It looks pretty neat.  Carter gave him a frame that he decorated.  Oh, and while we were at church they had an event after Sunday School with games and snacks.  They had one fun booth where we got to do a family handprint.  Such a sweet keepsake!
Craig is yellow, I'm pinkish-orange (the pads were running low by the end so I had to try a second color), Jacob is blue, and Carter is purple.  I love it...probably more than Craig! ;-)
We had a very busy day on Sunday after church.  We headed off to Buffalo for time with Craig's family, and the boys had a lot of fun playing whiffle ball and eating snacks!  My day ended up not-so-great due to a developing situation at the boys' daycare that I'll get into in my next post.  We've got a bit of a crazy situation on our hands, just as Jacob transitions from school back there tomorrow.  Hard to believe today is the last day of first grade!  Wow.  More on all of that soon enough.  But I'm happy that Jacob's birthday and the gift part of Father's Day went well.  On to Jacob's party this weekend!

No comments: