Saturday, March 28, 2015

News & Notes, Absent Spring Edition

It snowed overnight.  Well, it snowed all day yesterday, too, but those were just flakes that didn't add up to much.  But last night it snowed.  Per the weather forecast it was only supposed to be less than an inch, but we woke up to a couple solid inches this morning.  That felt a little demoralizing considering spring has been here a week already and it hasn't really felt like it at all.  Despite the fact that it's cold today, the sun has done its job and those couple inches have mostly melted.  Thank goodness.  There's really no end in sight to the cold weather, though.  We're supposed to have a couple days in the 40s and one in the 50s this week, but most of the warmer weather comes with rain, and there's still no 60s to be found.  The boys are just so eager to get outside and play, and the weather has simply not cooperated.  Next Sunday is Easter and the last forecast I saw was a high of 37.  Last year on Easter Jacob was running around in shorts.  Granted, it was a couple weeks later, but still...we haven't been anywhere close to that.  Good thing both boys' planned outfits involve long sleeves!

I'm very excited for Easter, mostly because I'm excited for the boys' Easter baskets.  They're both getting a main gift (a Playmobil set I got cheap for Jacob, and a Matchbox car launcher and some track for Carter, since he's been enjoying the cars and track he got for his birthday), and then I have a couple other little things--mostly candy for Jacob and a little bit of candy and a couple little books for Carter.  I still have yet to figure out if I'm going to hide eggs in addition to baskets, but that also involves the decision of where we'll be Easter morning, and the jury is still out on that.

I'm looking forward to spending Friday with my family--coming into town to see my parents, then heading to my uncle's for our traditional family dinner of prunes and noodles (or, really, noodles and croutons for most of us), then church after that.  The decision is whether we stay in town and deal with two cars once Craig comes in Sunday (since the Knighthawks play Saturday night), or come home Saturday, stick around for church on Sunday, then head back to Buffalo for one or both sides of the family.  It makes for a busy weekend, particularly considering I start work on Monday, but holidays are about family for both of us so we're fine with it.

One exciting thing this week is that we're getting a new storm door!  Yes, that qualifies for exciting these days.  Yesterday was the five-year anniversary of the day we moved into this house, and for five years the storm door has annoyed me!  It's been fine, I guess, but it's a little older, all metal, and has always seemed a little gerry-rigged.  I can tell that the handle has been replaced, and the latch only latches on the edge of the door frame, rather than the little bar apparatus that most doors of that era use.  Well, lately one of the screws holding on the spring cylinder that closes the door has been falling out constantly, so the time has come to replace it.  The day I got my job offer I stopped into Lowe's hoping that I could get it ordered and installed while I'm still home all day.  Installation is now scheduled for Wednesday, so I'm thrilled!  In our old house we put in a storm door with the retractable screen, and I've missed that here in the spring and fall.  The new one will have that, and the construction in general seems more trustworthy with a kid who likes to bang on the glass sometimes. 

Speaking of that five-year anniversary...it's so hard to believe that we've been here five years.  We do feel very at home here so in that way it seems like forever, but when I realize that a) Jacob was younger than Carter is now and he's now pushing seven; and b) we're now been here four months longer than we were in our old house, it sort of blows my mind.  On the bright side, we've spent a mere fraction (knock on wood) in improvements and repairs compared to what we spent in our old house.  There we did windows, basement windows, garage door, garage door opener, front door and storm door, hot water heater, stationary tub, and central air, bought a new stove (that stayed there), and we replaced the bathroom sink right before we put it on the market.  Here we've fixed the garage door and dishwasher, replaced the carpet in two rooms, painted one room...and that might be it aside from the new storm door.  I'd love to replace the bathroom sink because it needs it, and if I'm being picky I'd change out the kitchen sink and dining room light fixture.  In a perfect world I'd love to redo parts of the kitchen and replace the paneling in the basement.  But do you notice the trend?  None of that NEEDS to happen.  Soon we'll probably have to replace the hot water heater and possibly the furnace and central air as they're all getting older, but so far this house has done what we'd hoped--get us out of the constant stream of expensive projects.  The money we'd otherwise have spent upgrading the old house has been put into the mortgage of a much better house that should continue to fit our needs for years to come.  Pretty good trade-off, and I'm glad I can say that five years later.  I still look at our gorgeous living room, huge crawl space, bright kitchen, and giant linen closet, and thank God we stumbled across this house when we did.  When we just missed out on the house that prompted us to get ours on the market, we weren't sure what would happen, but I'm thankful for how things turned out.

Just for some perspective on what five years can do, here's a picture of Jacob from five years ago today, sitting among the moving mess...
He was 21 months here, and he nearly fit in that box!  Notice the baseball in his hand and the hockey stick across his legs.  Gosh, what a cutie.

And here's a picture I took of him last week...
His hair looks nearly the same in both pics, no?  His smile is looking a little odd these days because his top two front teeth are loose.  He was desperately trying to pull one out last night because it's bothering him.  While I get sad when I think of him losing his most prominent baby teeth, the way they constantly move in front of each other is starting to freak me out!  His smile just seems off-kilter and a little extra gummy, so I guess I'm ready for what comes next...
 I say it here often, but time flies.  Now if spring could just get in on that trend, I'd be a happy girl...

No comments: