Friday, May 3, 2013

News & Notes, Perfect Weather Edition

We are in the middle of the most amazing weather pattern right now.  It has been 70-something and sunny for days, and the pattern is supposed to continue for another week.  Jacob has been getting some outside time, and I am dying to get out and run in it.  Alas, I haven't had great luck with that for a few reasons.  Tomorrow I should get out and do some yard work, but it's so nice to know that it's gorgeous out whenever I have to go somewhere.  Like the last two days when I had to leave the office midday (more on that in a minute), at least I knew I was going out into heavenly weather.  This time of year, with all the flowers and trees in bloom and the weather gorgeous, is by far my favorite.

Like I said, the last two days I've been out and about.  I thought that yesterday was Carter's doctor's appointment, but no...I'm pretty sure they told me the wrong date.  I had written down the 2nd, and even remember double checking at the end of the call.  I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't have set it up for a Friday, even though we were short on dates as it was, so I have no idea what happened.  So, I went through the whole thing of leaving work, driving through traffic (they're filming "The Amazing Spider-man 2" in downtown Rochester right now, which means the streets are a mess with pedestrians, re-routed bus traffic, and police directing traffic around closed roads), picking up Carter, and going to the doctor, only to find out the appointment was today instead.  So today I had to do it all over again.  Annoying to have to make up time, but at least the weather was good and it was a little bonus time with Carter.

Today's appointment went fine.  He got a clean bill of health and the doctor was pleased with everything she saw.  She told me to keep doing what we're doing with his diaper rash, which finally got better last weekend but flared up again the other day after he pooped without cream on.  She's comfortable with my concerns about his feeding, spitting up, and congestion, and he's growing nicely.  He's up to 11 lbs., 2 oz., and 23-1/4 inches long.  He's right around the 50th percentile.  The crappy thing about this appointment was that it featured four (!) shots and one oral vaccine.  I felt so bad when Carter got stuck.  Babies have this thing about them, where they're totally fine one second, have half a second after the stick where they're okay, and the next half second it's this look of, "Holy crap, what is THAT?", followed by absolute misery.  By the fourth stick he turned bright red.  He calmed down relatively quickly.  I wasn't the one to pick him up to find out how he was this afternoon, but tonight he's been miserable.  He's been sleepy, he screamed for a good half hour when he got home, and didn't want to drink much of his bottle.  I ran out to grab some infant Tylenol and some dinner, and he's been sleeping with little whines ever since.  I'm hoping the Tylenol perks him up.  Four shots seems like a lot, but I'm not about to be one of those anti-vaccine people.  Jacob never had issues with them that I can recall, and millions of kids have had this same regimen without issues.  It's just hard to see sometimes. Otherwise he's fine.  He's taken to trying to shove his whole fist in his mouth, which makes me think he's going to try to be a thumbsucker.  We shall see.  He's also been quite miserable during the period between 6:30 and 9:30 lately, which is usually the witching hour for kids but has been very difficult for him, to the point that I've had to learn how to eat with him in my arms because he will not sit in his swing or seat while we eat.  But other than that, he's great.  Aside from last night when he was up at 4:30, he's been sleeping through the night until at least 5:30 or 6.  It's lovely.  And one of these nights I will get to bed at a decent time, too.

This week, for the first time since June, my body feels like my own.  Between pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and whatever else, it's been a long run.  I'd actually still been having some minor bleeding right up through last week, when my first birth control pill-induced period arrived.  I even had a little random bleeding after that, which prompted me to call my doctor and make an appointment, but I'm pretty sure that was just a side effect of the pill, which is normal the first three months, because it stopped after a day or so.  I canceled my appointment as result, because I didn't want to have to pay a co-pay for an ultrasound, which they were going to do to make sure nothing was still hanging out up there from the pregnancy.  I haven't had any other side effects, so I'm guessing I'm fine, but it's nice to finally feel normal (or a slightly chubbier version of normal) for the first time in ages.

I am working a bit on the chub, though.  I've been back to my weekly class for the past four weeks, and I'm trying to sneak in runs here and there in preparation for the Corporate Challenge in a few weeks.  I did my first real run last week, and much to my surprise I ran over three miles!  My pace was right around a 10 minute mile, which is totally respectable considering how long it's been since I ran regularly.  It's a far cry from the 8-1/2ish minute mile I was running last year at this time, but I'll take it.  The more I run the easier it will get, but it's a challenge in the meantime.  It's nice to have my Nike+ sensor and app, though, because I can just run and not worry about how long or far or fast I'm running.  I want to get back in shape so my clothes fit again, because it's a challenge getting dressed right now, between the changing seasons and my body shape.  My belly is still flabby even when I suck in, and my hips and thighs are still a bit bigger than before, though I'm not sure if that's fat or hip spread.  My weight's only 3-5 pounds more than I'd like it to be, but it definitely makes a difference.  It's good to feel like I'm making an effort again, but it's no fun having to watch what I eat for the first time in a long time.

One funny story to finish things off...You'd think that having two kids would make me feel old, but you know what really did it?  Last night we got a new filing cabinet and I was excited.  My excitement made me realize that I am officially old.  We only had one small filing cabinet (one of the $30 ones you get at Target) and another drawer in our desk, and they were jammed.  But between another child, another car, another batch of instruction manuals, and a couple new credit cards (Target RedCard...5% off and free shipping...yay!), we needed more storage in order to make the dreaded task of filing a little less miserable.  I asked my aunt and uncle to keep an eye out, since they go to a lot of garage sales, and sure enough...they got me exactly what I wanted!  It's a nice, deep, two-drawer cabinet...for $10!  It's perfect.  And I am way too excited about it.  Old.  Yep.

And now, here's one shot from the doctor's office today, while we were killing time before those nasty shots...

Happy Weekend, everyone!

No comments: