Saturday, April 13, 2013

Moose Valuable Player

Craig and I have always been moose people.  He gave me a stuffed one when I got my wisdom teeth out (he drove all the way to N.T. to give it to me...awwwww!), and that was the first in a long line of stuffed moose that have come into our home.  We got a few from the store Harry & David; a few more from Craig's road trips to Canada, Minnesota, and Colorado; more from our time at the Amerks, whose mascot is a moose; and many more.  When Jacob arrived, it provided an extra opportunity to stock our house with moose, and he's amassed quite a collection in his own right.

I was delighted to discover during his first fall and winter that kids' clothing companies like to put moose on clothing during that time of year.  I delighted in finding moose clothes on sale and stocking his wardrobe with them.  One of my favorites was an outfit sporting a moose with a football that said, "Moose Valuable Player".  Moose AND sports?  What could be better for our child?!

At some point shortly thereafter I was shopping the clearance rack at Babies 'R' Us and found the same shirt (minus the matching pants) in a 48 months size.  And yes, that size seemed weird to me too.  Anyway, I couldn't resist, so I bought it.  At the time I never really pictured what Jacob would be like at four, and it turns out that he was much too cool for a baby blue shirt featuring a cartoonish moose.  At one point I hoped it might make for a cute big brother-little brother shot, but then the age difference seemed to make that impossible.  So, it's hung in the closet for months collecting dust.  

Yesterday Carter put on the original outfit.  Jacob was a little older when he wore it.  My favorite pictures of him in it were taken just before he turned three months old.  Carter turns two months on Monday (eight weeks as of last night!), but he's just starting to fit into it.  I was actually afraid he'd never wear it, because it was one of the outfits with the worst yellow staining when I pulled out the baby clothes, and it was actually one of the ones that didn't totally come clean, but it got very close.  There's still a little discoloration near the neck, but you'd never know unless you studied it.  So, that makes it a perfect daycare outfit.  "Adorable but imperfect" is good for a place with many potential hours for stains to set!  

Last night when it was just the boys and me at home, I got the bright idea to bring out the big shirt and make a photo op.  So...first, here's Jacob's before and after...


And here's Carter...

And here are the boys together...as close as I will get to a big brother-little brother shoot.  The shirt is getting very small on Jacob now...

And because we're all wondering...here's the comparison of baby Jacob and Carter...

It's a little hard to compare them exactly, since Carter is a month younger here (and a significant month at that...he's going to lose a lot of his newborn-ness in the next month.  He's lost so much already!).  Jacob was a little more aware of the camera, and the coloring and angle are a little different.  I feel like there is some sort of similarity between them, and yet I don't think they look that much alike.  I just can't pinpoint where the similarities and differences really are, beyond Carter's darker coloring.  I just looked at pictures of the two of them from the same age, and it's still hard to tell.  I have to keep in mind that Jacob was born a week and a half later than Carter was, so he probably will look like a littler baby for a while.  I'm definitely experiencing that now, since the pictures I was looking at of Jacob were full of some of his first great smiles, whereas Carter is just starting to do real ones, and most of the time they're not in response to anything specific.  I did get a good one last night that seemed to be in direct response to something I did, but at this point the odds of me getting one on camera are about nil.  By this time with Jacob it was a little easier, and I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with their different ages based on their gestational age at birth.  Give Carter another week and a half and we should be getting somewhere :)

Anyway, I was so happy I got to do this mini-shoot.  Perhaps I'll have to do it again next month so I have three month shots of both boys.  But for now, this was really fun to see!

No comments: