Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Easter!

Before I get into the details of our Easter weekend, I just wanted to note that I wrote up a post on Saturday and accidentally forgot to finish it and post it.  I did post it yesterday, so in case you missed it, you might want to go check it out.  Anyway...

The rest of our Saturday after I had written the blog post was nice.  Jacob ran my poor parents ragged wanting to play golf and basketball outside.  It wasn't super warm, but it was pleasant enough.  Jacob was also reunited with his little friend Nora, who lives down the street from my parents.  They're only a couple months apart and have played together a few times over the years, most notably three years ago during the ill-fated Easter egg hunt my mom whipped up where Jacob cried the whole time.  He and Nora were pretty fascinated with each other.  Jacob was definitely in show-off mode--he wanted to bring her upstairs to show her his "stinky" baseball stuff.  Seriously?!  Of course, by the time I headed up there he was on his way to changing into his baseball stuff, right in front of her.  Gah!  I tried to distract Nora with Carter and had a little chat with Jacob afterward about stripping down in mixed company.  Oy, not good.  Much to the kids' dismay, we had to part ways so we could fit in a visit to my mom's aunt's house (Jacob & Carter's great-great aunt!).  Jacob was very clingy during the trip and I had to keep him occupied with my iPod, but all things considered it was fine.  She very much appreciated the company and the chance to see Carter.  Later that evening, Nora came back, this time with her parents, grandparents, and brother.  Everyone loved seeing Carter, of course, and all three kids had a blast running around together.  Nora's brother, Kurt, was the baby I held a couple years ago that Jacob told me to put down!  Guess I should have known then that Jacob wasn't going to transition into big brotherhood very smoothly!  Jacob was still in show-off mode and was running around without his shirt on.  I think we need to teach Jacob to be a little smoother with the ladies!  He's trying too hard! ;-)

I was nervous about Easter morning because we hadn't had that early of a wakeup where I had to get both kids ready by a certain time.  We had to be out of the house by 8:15-8:30, which meant I had to be up by about 6am.  In addition, Craig was getting up early back in Rochester to drive in and meet up with us before church.  I did manage to get everyone ready in time, and despite being an absolute pain, Jacob was able to search for his Easter basket.  He actually found Carter's first, and then found his with some help.  He got a pretty good haul...
He's got a chocolate baseball bunny, a new book, sight words flash cards, a peanut butter Snickers egg, a baseball egg full of jelly beans, and a little side gift from us, one of the little toys Jacob new was in the reward drawer waiting to be earned.  It had been in there long enough, quite frankly.  He's also got his new Easter basket, which I let him pick out now that Carter could inherit his old one, which was a hand-me-down itself.
 Before we left for church I wanted to get a picture of both boys, just in case Carter had a blowout and ruined his adorable Easter outfit.  I finally got this shot...

However, during the second try (this was the third), Jacob let go of Carter and let him flop face-first into the chair.  He claimed that he didn't know what to do with him, to which we responded that he has to hold on to him until we retrieve him.  I thought that would have been a given, but apparently not.  We definitely have to work on the whole brotherly love thing.  Ugh.

Carter fell asleep on the way to church and stayed asleep for a very long time.  Jacob was a very good boy in church again, and afterward we had some breakfast in the gym (pancakes, eggs, ham, and pastries).  After that was the Easter Egg hunt.  Jacob was determined to win the stuffed bunny, even though he won it three years ago and we explained that the odds of him winning it weren't good.  When the hunt started, he beelined for an egg and then started collecting candy.  There was a ton of it all over the floor.  He got quite the haul.  In the middle of it I dug in his bag for the egg so I could see what was inside it.  Instead of the paper reading "Bunny", there was a quarter.  Jacob was crushed and proceeded to cry for the new few minutes.  Ugh.  In the meantime, Carter looked like this...

Once we got back to my parents' house, we packed up and headed out to Craig's aunt and uncle's house.  They hadn't seen Carter yet and were eager to meet him.  We had a great time visiting with the whole family (along with four of their five kids, as well), and Jacob took a liking to Craig's cousin Julie, who's a kindergarten teacher.  After we left, he was begging to go to her school!

We spent the rest of the day with Craig's family, including his parents, his brother's family, his nana, his aunt, a couple cousins, his cousin's kids, and our sister-in-law's parents and sister.  It was quite the group!  There was a ton of good food and lots of good company.  Carter definitely got passed around, and his cousins loved holding him.  Here he is in his handsome Easter outfit...

In the end it was a very long, very busy, but very good day.  Jacob and Carter made out very well, and the family time was great.  There are so many times that I wish we lived closer to our families, but I guess the upside of that is that days like we had this weekend, from prunes and noodles on Friday to a full day of fun on Sunday, are that much more special when we have the opportunity to have them.  We have fantastic families and it's always so nice to spend time with them.  And it's even better when we get to share something as awesome as a six-week-old Carter with them!

Now we're back in our routine at home for one more week.  I'm savoring every moment I have, since I know that my time to spend with Carter is limited.  I also know that I need to take advantage of my time at home because I only have so much time to be productive with other things, too.  Yesterday I snuggled Carter and napped, and today I tried to be as productive as possible--filing paperwork, gathering up our tax documents, opening Carter's bank account, and doing a couple returns.  Tomorrow will be a cleaning day, I hope, and Thursday my oldest friend Heather is coming to visit.  I'm hoping that the weather is good enough by Friday to go to the zoo, just for a nice place to take a walk (whether or not I'll pull Jacob out of daycare is still up in the air).  Then we have a weekend to hang out (no Craig, though--he's got two games) before getting back to the real grind on Monday.  It's not going to be easy, but it's just how it has to be.  I just want to make the most of this time while I can...

No comments: