Saturday, March 30, 2013

News & Notes, Holy Saturday Edition

We're in North Tonawanda for most of the weekend, our first overnight roadtrip with Carter.  Craig is still in Rochester for the Knighthawks game tonight, and will join us tomorrow morning.  We'll do church and breakfast with my parents before heading to Craig's side of the family for the rest of the day.  We came in yesterday afternoon in time for my family's traditional prunes and noodles dinner.  Amazingly, as crazy of a day as it was, I pulled it off.  It took a revamped packing list, a lot of bags, and probably a little more time for Carter in his swing and vibrating seat than I would have liked.  Jacob was home, too, which added a whole extra time crunch.  I was making a dessert, gathering up last-minute items to bring with us, and coordinating one more treat I was bringing to the dinner.  We somehow managed to get out of the house around the time I hoped, which was nothing short of a miracle.  We also managed to fit everything in the car, which was another miracle.  Hauling bottles and formula, not to mention Easter stuff, takes up a lot of space! 

We had a lovely prunes and noodles dinner and both my treats got rave reviews.  One was a jalapeno cheese pull-apart bread, and the other was a pineapple-marshmallow-jello treat with a graham cracker crust.  Carter got to meet the family, and Mommy got to have her first alcoholic beverage in ages!  We went off to church afterward, Carter had to eat while we were there, and he does not eat quietly so we spent most of the service in the crying room.  Jacob was very good, though!

All three of us slept in the same room, which was a bit of a challenge.  Carter woke up to eat at 3:30, and one of his cries woke up Jacob for a while.  At 5:30 he started fussing again, but fortunately the pacifier chilled him out until 6:45.  I opted to take that feeding downstairs to let Jacob sleep and pump myself.  Fortunately Carter got in three more hours of sleep after that, and since Grandma and Grandpa could keep Jacob occupied, I got a little more rest in myself.  Ahhhh.

The weaning process is done, so I'm back on dairy after about five days off.  Carter is now fully on bottles, though I still have a ways to go before I'm back to normal.  He's eating from the bottles pretty well now, which is nice to see.  While I will miss breastfeeding, seeing a baby happily eating away, no matter the source, is a nice feeling.  I'm grateful to be eating dairy again (my pizza for lunch was fantastic, as was everything last night!), and I'm happy to have Carter feeling better.  He's not perfect yet, but he is so much more content and sleeping so much better.  He's still very grunty at times and still has some pretty significant spit-ups, but he is so much better than he was, by far.  It makes the formula price tag much more tolerable since we know it works!  His new issue is a nasty case of diaper rash, which could be caused by some changes in his diet, and therefore his poop, I suppose. 

He's getting much more aware of things and having longer awake periods at times.  He's looking around everywhere, and I swear he's on the cusp of awake smiling.  He's making some fun little noises and getting to be so strong.  He can practically climb up my chest sometimes!  His face is definitely chubbier these days, and slowly but surely he's outgrowing the newborn clothes.  The 0-3 month stuff is still pretty big, but he's getting there.  His Easter outfit is super cute and it is a 0-3 month size, though I think it runs a little smaller than a lot of the stuff he has. 

It occurred to me last night that we've now been in our house for three years.  The other day I was trying to figure out why the date was significant in my memory, and it finally occurred to me that it was our moving day.  I guess it's more significant this year since we actually have the baby we were anticipating when we moved into a bigger house.  I realized in the fall of 2009 that if we wanted kids three years apart, we'd have to move ASAP so we weren't doing it when I was pregnant.  Luckily we managed to get the house ready and sold, and found a new one, all within a few months, and I couldn't be happier with the result.  We ended up putting off baby #2 for an extra year, then needed another year to actually make it happen, but he's here now and our bedrooms are finally fully occupied.  I like knowing that all of our bedrooms have full-time makes things feel much more complete.  What a crazy three years it has been, though.  Hard to believe Jacob wasn't even two when we moved, and now we'll be registering him for kindergarten in a couple weeks!  I still remember the first full weekend after the move house was Easter weekend, and an abnormally hot one, at that.  We had a great time.  How times have changed!

I can hardly believe I only have a week of maternity leave left.  Part of me is happy to go back and help out my co-workers, who have been crazy busy without me.  As usual I'm sad when I think of leaving Carter, even though it's easier to trust daycare this time since Jacob has been there for so long.  I think I'm really just dreading the hustle and bustle of the morning and evening rush.  It's going to be hard to get up extra early each morning, put together bottles, get Jacob and Carter ready, along with myself, and get us all out the door on time.  I'll be sad to miss out on Carter all day (since I'm so accustomed to spending so much time with him), and then evening is such a rush anyway with dinner and bedtime that I'm worried about finding enough time to spend with both kids.  In addition there's housework and bottle washing to do, along with laundry and bill paying and whatever else.  I'm sure I'll be tired on top of it, so these first few weeks especially are going to be a challenge.

Before any of that, though, we have Easter tomorrow.  I still only have one thing for Carter's Easter basket, but Jacob will do pretty well.  We're looking forward to church and the Easter breakfast, as well as the annual Easter egg hunt (a.k.a. candy free-for-all) afterward.  It'll be a busy day of family fun and great food.  Hopefully there will be some pictures to share on Monday...Happy Easter in the meantime!

No comments: