Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 7th

Well, it's finally here...my official due date!  As I look at my nearly three-week-old baby, it seems laughable to think we could have ever made it this long.  Just visiting my office yesterday reminded me of how horribly uncomfortable I was there, and made me extra grateful I didn't have to go through three more weeks of it! 

It's funny that this date was ever so significant since I had an inkling so far out that I'd never make it this long.  The joke in my office was that my due date was February 21st, which would have been two weeks early.  Turns out I didn't even make it that far.  Oops.  I had originally wanted to make it to March 8th because it was my grandma's birthday, but I would be going nuts right now. 

Instead, we're nearly three weeks into this adventure.  And so far, it's been mostly great.  There's still a lot of adjusting to do, but we're past the recovery and the initial insanity, so were settling in a bit.  It'll be interesting to see how Carter does now that he's technically full term.  It's hard to say how different he would have been if he was born on time, because he probably would have grown more efficiently in utero and wouldn't have had his big weight loss yet.  It's hard to know what systems might have benefitted from more development time in utero, and what's still evolving a bit now.  He still has so much of the hair he was born with on his arms, legs, and back, and often that falls out before birth, so I don't know when that's going to happen now that he's up to his due date.  He's definitely shedding a layer of skin right now, though.  It's hard to tell how he's growing, though I think the 0-3 month onesies he's wearing are fitting a little better.  The newborn stuff still fits, however, and good thing--we got a bunch of newborn stuff at Craig's office shower yesterday.  Hopefully he'll get some wear out of it all.  I think his face and belly have definitely chubbed up a bit, and he hit a big milestone today--he did his first up-the-back poop!  Ha.  Not my favorite skill, but my stain removal abilities still seem to be up to par!

Looking back at the blog around the three-week mark with Jacob, it appears life was very much the same.  The main difference is that Jacob had already been pretty uncomfortable for a while.  I was just starting to remove milk from my diet at that point, too, like I am now.  He was having trouble napping, which hasn't been an issue this time around yet.  It's interesting to look back and see how I was feeling and what we were experiencing, and for the most part it's similar to what we're dealing with now, which I guess is good because we're right on track, right?

Today could have been a very significant day in our lives.  Instead it's just another day, the day before Carter turns three weeks old.  His timing was perfect, though, and I'm so happy he's here.

No comments: