Tuesday, December 14, 2010

SNOW

Ok, I know it's December and snow makes things Christmasy, but I am so done with it right now. It would be one thing if it just came in when I didn't have to drive anywhere. They could get the roads clear, and then I could get back out in the world at my leisure. And with weather this cold, it could stick around right through Christmas. But no. It's only December and I've already had enough bad commutes to last me until spring. I'll admit I was a little miffed when the snow melted over the weekend and there were patches of grass showing. I figured that with all the snow we suffered through a couple weeks ago, it would at least stick around until Christmas and we wouldn't need anymore real snowfall until then. But no, it melted and now there's plenty more to replace it. As of this morning we had five more inches, and I'm sure we have a few more now. It's been a blizzard out my window almost all day, and all I see of the bridge over the Genesee River is a big backup going in my direction. My route home was closed for part of today. That's comforting, isn't it? My boss is yelling at me to leave early, which I will be doing soon as I don't feel like getting a late fee for being late to daycare. I was a half hour late to work today, despite leaving early. Long story short, this weather is annoying.

The worst part of all of this is that I hate driving in this weather with Jacob in the car. Obviously I'm concerned about myself (particularly since I want to be around and functioning for Jacob), and Craig as well, but Jacob is so much more fragile and it scares me to drive with him. It's slippery and it's scary. It gives winter driving a whole new spin when you have a precious life riding in the backseat.

On the less-important-but-no-less-disappointing front, Jacob's Christmas program at daycare was canceled due to the weather. I have no idea if they'll be rescheduling, so it's a bit of a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing him sing "Jingle Bells" with his friends. He's still talking about seeing the kids sing at church on Sunday, so it stinks that he might not get the chance to do it himself until next year. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they pick a new night, though!

Off into the snow I go...keep safe, everyone.

No comments: